Advice and recommendations on this Gaming PC

Hi all, I'd really appreciate other members input on this PC build, it's my first proper PC after all :)

Specs:

Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i5-2500k Quad Core (3.30GHz, 6MB Cache) + HD Graphics

Motherboard
ASUS® P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3: PCI-E 3.0 READY, SLI, CROSSFIREX***SPECIAL***

Memory (RAM)
16GB SAMSUNG DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (4 X 4GB)

Graphics Card
1.25GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 570 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready

I was wondering if the i5 is worth upgrading to an i7 for gaming and whether it would be worth going the extra buck and getting a GTX 580 over the 570. Any recommendations appreciated :)

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
If your thinking of upgrading the GPU i would advise the 7870 because it's just slightly cheaper but for most games at most resolutions it performs the same if not sliightly better than a 580. While using half the power which is always good for the electric bill!

For gaming drop to 8GB of ram, and if you can afford an i7 and would be willing to upgrade to a pair 7870's in the future it would probably be worth it.

If you plan to bin this PC after a couple of years and start again an i5 2500 (k version is for overclcokers so drop to the 2500) 8 GB RAM and a 7870 will do fine. If you are willing to upgrade in the future, stick in an i7 2600 and add 8GB RAM in the future (if needed) along with a 2nd 7870 when you need more gaming performance.