Advice building new PC

gDan15

Hello everyone,

I would like to acquire a new mini tower PC because my current computer is getting old.
I'm planning on having Linux and Windows dual boot.
Gaming is not a big hobby of mine but i do sometimes play at Warface and Dawn Of War Apocalypse, thus I'm probably going to rely on a CPU integrated graphics.
I'm strungling between AMD Ryzen 2... or Intel core i5.
Finally, this computer has to last as long as possible with the first configuration. It has to last several years.
I've already done some research and here is what I came with so far (I am not sure about the AMD processor) :

Feel free to comment,

Thank you for your time.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
What's the budget?

What is the price?

What are you using it for?

Why the "mini" (and I use the term loosely) PC?

Why the X470 motherboard?

gDan15

Hi and thank you for the reply,

The budget is 650€ max.
The price of this configuration is 572€.

I'm a software developper who occasionally plays video games (but nothing heavy).
The development I intend to achieve doesn't involve Machine Learning or any high ressource demanding processes.
I did put 16 Go of RAM in case I work with virtual machines.

When I say 'mini' I imply that the size of the motherboard is 17cm x 17cm, don't know if it is relevant. I don't especially need a full size computer since I don't use all the PCI, RAM, SATA, ... slots. Plus, it's less expensive.
I've actually changed the motherboard to the Gigabyte.
Here is my new configuration :
Case
CASE MINI-ITX GAMING SHARKOON SHARK ZONE C10
Processor
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 2400G 4 cores with Vega (3,6 GHz - 3,9 GHz /6 Mo CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI (DDR4, USB 3.1, 6Gb/s)
Memory
16 Go Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2400 MHz (1 x 16 Go)
Graphic card
NONE
SSD M.2
512 Go ADATA SX6000 Pro PCIe M.2 2280 (2100 Mo/R, 1500 Mo/W)
Alimentation
ALIMENTATION CORSAIR 350 W VS SERIES™ VS-350
Connexion Wi-Fi/filaire
PORT GIGABIT LAN + Wi-Fi
Price : €572,00

I don't want to spend a goldmine on this computer but I would like to use it as long as possible. This implies that the multitasking, the single core performance have to be 'proper' for the next several years.

What do you think of this configuration ?

Good evening

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
If you are going for good value, then the B450 motherboard is a much better choice than the X470, because it's 70€ cheaper.

Instead of 1x16gb, get 2x8gb so that it is dual channel.

Also get 2933MHz RAM as Ryzen CPUs benefit from this.

Do you think you might ever want to put a graphics card in? If so, get a larger PSU.

The system will not be very quiet because of the case, but if that's not important to you, that's fine.

For better single core performance, one of the new Zen 2 CPUs would probably be better. Maybe an R5 3600x. Though this will be more expensive, and also it does not have integrated graphics so you would need some kind of GPU too. The R5 2400G is a fine CPU for the price, but it is not without limitations. If you're happy with those limits, then that's fine too :)

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
550W should give you a lot of options - notwithstanding any limitations from the case and potential CPU bottlenecks (though the mobo should at least support a generation or two of new CPUs)

gDan15

Hello again,

Here is the revised configuration (red = what has been changed from previous configuration):
Case
SHARKOON SHARK ZONE C10 MINI-ITX GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 5 2400G Quad Core CPU with Vega Graphics (3.6GHz-3.9GHz/6MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI (DDR4, USB 3.1, 6Gb/s)
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2933MHz ~ (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
NONE, I ALREADY HAVE A GRAPHICS CARD
1st Storage Drive
NOT REQUIRED
1st M.2 SSD Drive
512GB ADATA SX6000 Pro PCIe M.2 2280 (2100 MB/R, 1500 MB/W)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
NOT REQUIRED
Power Supply
CORSAIR 550W VS SERIES™ VS-550 POWER SUPPLY
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre European Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
STANDARD AMD CPU COOLER
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
GIGABIT LAN PORT + Wi-Fi (Wi-Fi excluded on H310I-PLUS)
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 4 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 4 to 6 working days
Price: €612,00 including VAT and Delivery

Do you see any potential bottlenecks in this configuration ?
Do you think a cheap cpu watercooling device like the Coolermaster masterliquid lite 120 is worth it ?

Have a great day and thanks again

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I would invest in the case over the cooling. Focus G case would be my lowest go-to.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Mini ITX system.

And PCS don't sell over 2400MHz RAM with Raven Ridge APUs in ATX systems, only mini ITX. Because reasons.