ADVICE ON BUILD FOR DESIGN - (please)

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Oh wow, I might be underestimating 512GB by a lot, but yeah, might just go for that then - it'll save me money I could invest on one of the aforementioned cases. If I'm not going to use the secondary HDD as a main backup drive, do you still reckon I should upgrade it to 2TB?
I should point out that I have hibernation turned off on my system, that saves the need for a 16GB hiperfil.sys file, but the paging file (pagefile.sys) is on my SSD.

Regarding the 2TB HDD it depends entirely on cost and your expected use. If you think you might need that space, if your budget allows it, and if you're not compromising somewhere else to afford it, then yes

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
3) I actually also like the K500 too and wouldn't mind stretching the budget a tad more if you think it'd be better for airflow, the main issue I have with it is its size. I'm also planning to get a desk from IKEA, and there's a very handy slot where I could put the PC tower, howver the K500's diameter could be an issue. Something I don't think will be an issue with the SR-628B.
What do you think about the CORSAIR SPEC-DELTA RGB MID TOWER GAMING CASE (budgetr option) and the THERMALTAKE V200 TEMPERED GLASS (same price as the K500)
I'd avoid all but the K500. If you look at the Corsair's front you'll see it has 3 fans... and how sealed up the front is by solid plastic such that only 1 of them gets any real access to air. V200 also looks like its vents are pretty small.

The Corsair 460X is ultimately not that much more than any of these.

Or the Cooler Master Mastercase H500 (the £77 one). It actually has mesh instead of solid plastic at the front (gasp)

Abraham E.

I should point out that I have hibernation turned off on my system, that saves the need for a 16GB hiperfil.sys file, but the paging file (pagefile.sys) is on my SSD.

Regarding the 2TB HDD it depends entirely on cost and your expected use. If you think you might need that space, if your budget allows it, and if you're not compromising somewhere else to afford it, then yes

Not sure what a hiperfil.sys is, but I'll take some time aside to figure out my storage needs then, but after consulting a friend of mine(who got a build for both gaming a design) it looks like 512GB really should be enough. I'm just wondering how difficult it'd be to upgrade to 1TB, since I have no idea how to assemble anything (hence why I'm getting it from PCS)

Abraham E.

I'd avoid all but the K500. If you look at the Corsair's front you'll see it has 3 fans... and how sealed up the front is by solid plastic such that only 1 of them gets any real access to air. V200 also looks like its vents are pretty small.

The Corsair 460X is ultimately not that much more than any of these.

Or the Cooler Master Mastercase H500 (the £77 one). It actually has mesh instead of solid plastic at the front (gasp)

Ohh I get what you mean now, most of the options I mentioned simply would't take in a good amount of air, apart from the K500's front that actually allows for more airflow from the front (took a me a while, thanks)

I'd be more than happy to get it, it even looks better. The main problem is that its 491mm diameter might be a serious issue, since the space available in the dedicate slot in the desk (00:59) is only 495mm, which might make the build sit unevenly- especially if I want to close it the space (thickness of the desk's walls).

The H500 is simply too large to fit in that space.

It's a bit frustrating as this is one of the last parts I wanted to tick off before getting ready to order.... don't know how big of a deal it'd be to fall back on the previously mentioned options (CORSAIR SPEC-DELTA vs V200), what's the worst case scenario with either of those two?

(Also, sorry this thread is taking so long, I just want to get it right 🤞🏾)

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Not sure what a hiperfil.sys is, but I'll take some time aside to figure out my storage needs then, but after consulting a friend of mine(who got a build for both gaming a design) it looks like 512GB really should be enough. I'm just wondering how difficult it'd be to upgrade to 1TB, since I have no idea how to assemble anything (hence why I'm getting it from PCS)
Hiberfil.sys is the hibernation file, that where the contents of RAM are saved/resumed when you hibernate, it's at least the same size as your installed RAM. If you turn hibernation off that file doesn't exist and you save that much storage space.

For the usage you specified a 1TB SSD would be a waste of money in terms of the benefit you'll get. Windows and a huge bunch of third party software will use only a fraction of it, and that's not going to change much over the next few years of software and OS development, which means the overwhelming majority of it will only be useful for storing user data, and (as I have mentioned) most user data doesn't benefit all that much from being on an SSD (high res images DO benefit from being on an SSD however).

It's all about the budget. If you can afford a 1TB SSD without sacrificing performance elsewhere to afford it, then get one. But if you're downgrading the RAM, the CPU or the graphics card to be able to afford a 1TB SSD that's not sensible. In addition a SATA NAND 1TB SSD doesn't make sense from a cost/performance point of view if you can afford a 256GB or even a 512GB M.2 NVMe for a similar price. You want your OS and applications on the fastest SSD you can afford, and unless there is something you've not told us about, you'll be fine with a 256GB M.2 NVMe SSD, a 512GB M.2 NVME SSD will be ample for your uses for ever. IMO of course. :)

Abraham E.

Hiberfil.sys is the hibernation file, that where the contents of RAM are saved/resumed when you hibernate, it's at least the same size as your installed RAM. If you turn hibernation off that file doesn't exist and you save that much storage space.

For the usage you specified a 1TB SSD would be a waste of money in terms of the benefit you'll get. Windows and a huge bunch of third party software will use only a fraction of it, and that's not going to change much over the next few years of software and OS development, which means the overwhelming majority of it will only be useful for storing user data, and (as I have mentioned) most user data doesn't benefit all that much from being on an SSD (high res images DO benefit from being on an SSD however).

It's all about the budget. If you can afford a 1TB SSD without sacrificing performance elsewhere to afford it, then get one. But if you're downgrading the RAM, the CPU or the graphics card to be able to afford a 1TB SSD that's not sensible. In addition a SATA NAND 1TB SSD doesn't make sense from a cost/performance point of view if you can afford a 256GB or even a 512GB M.2 NVMe for a similar price. You want your OS and applications on the fastest SSD you can afford, and unless there is something you've not told us about, you'll be fine with a 256GB M.2 NVMe SSD, a 512GB M.2 NVME SSD will be ample for your uses for ever. IMO of course. :)

Thanks for clearing that first bit for me.
I definitely wasn't planning on downgrading the CPU, GPU or RAM - I'm very much set on those.

You've made a pretty solid point about the storage options, and I think I'll opt for the 512GB ADATA SX6000 Pro PCIe M.2 2280 and a 1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA HDD (In addition to the external HDD I'm already using). Hopefully I won't have many storage issues for my work.

Thank you so much again for the extensive help, with the money saved I want to see if I can maybe get a better case or a 1440p monitor as suggested by @Oussebon 🤞🏾

Abraham E.

And the Corsair 460X?

Funny you mentioned it, was literally looking at it last night and this morning, and I quite like it. Do you think it's a good case in terms of air flow, future-upgradeability and durability compared to the FRACTAL FOCUS G?

With the money I'm saving with a 512 M.2 SSD, I might actually be able to afford it!

Last edited:

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Funny you mentioned it, was literally looking at it last night and this morning, and I quite like it. Do you think it's a good case in terms of air flow, future-upgradeability and durability compared to the FRACTAL FOCUS G?
Yes, I think it's a very good case with decent airflow and plenty of features.

I'd also reiterate the recommendation for the 1440p monitor. As design is the main use, the extra resolution (sharper, more detailed image, the ability to just fit more onto the screen) would be a huge asset.

Abraham E.

Yes, I think it's a very good case with decent airflow and plenty of features.

I'd also reiterate the recommendation for the 1440p monitor. As design is the main use, the extra resolution (sharper, more detailed image, the ability to just fit more onto the screen) would be a huge asset.

That's brilliant as I've added it to the configuration. I've taken both yours and @ubuysa 's feedback and reconfigured it all. Please let me know what you guys think!

UPDATED BUILD:

Case

CORSAIR CRYSTAL SERIES 460X RGB GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 5 3600 Six Core CPU (3.6GHz-4.2GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)

down_right_arrow.gif
Get 3 Months of XBOX Game Pass for PC w/ select AMD Ryzen CPUs
Motherboard
ASUS® TUF X470-PLUS GAMING (DDR4, 6Gb/s, CrossFireX) - RGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3000MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
6GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1660 Ti - HDMI, DP - GeForce GTX VR Ready!
1st Storage Drive
1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 64MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive
512GB ADATA SX6000 Pro PCIe M.2 2280 (2100 MB/R, 1500 MB/W)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
NOT REQUIRED
Power Supply
CORSAIR 550W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
STANDARD AMD CPU COOLER
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
WIRELESS 802.11 AC1200 867Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
NO RECOVERY MEDIA REQUIRED
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft® Office® 365 (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Browser
Microsoft® Edge (Windows 10 Only)
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 7 to 10 working days
Promotional Item
Get 3 Months of XBOX Game Pass for PC w/ select AMD Ryzen CPUs
Price: £1,028.00 including VAT and Delivery

PERIPHERALS & EVERYTHING ELSE:

- Dell P2418D 23.8-Inch (1440p) monitor;
- MICKE Desk (IKEA);
-
Simple RGB Headphones;
- ARTECK wireless keyboard (Not Backlit unfortunately);
- Wireless TeckNet mouse;
- Simple ergonomic chair

Would love to at least order the build by the end of this week, but would still love to hear any final input.

Last edited:

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Seems sound. regarding the monitor, note my comment above:
Note, while it is on Amazon, it is listed as from a marketplace seller. The issue with that is that sometimes manufacturers don't accept you have a warranty if you bought it off a marketplace rather than an authorised reseller (or 'proper' store) because as far as they're concerned you're not the original owner. That may not bother you, but be aware of it at least.

Rather than buying it from CCL via Amazon, probably better to just buy it directly from them. Where it's also a few quid cheaper.

Abraham E.

Seems sound. regarding the monitor, note my comment above:

Rather than buying it from CCL via Amazon, probably better to just buy it directly from them. Where it's also a few quid cheaper.

Thanks for the green light on the build, should proceed in getting it soon hopefully.

In regards to the monitor, I've had a look on Dell's website and it costs about £50 more, though the one on Amazon does have a "3-Year Advanced Exchange Service and Premium Panel Guarantee". So I'm hoping that should be goo enough in case of any issues with it.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I didn't say to buy through Dell..? :)

1) The monitor listed on Amazon is not sold by Amazon. It is sold by the marketplace seller. In this case, a company called CCL Computers. CCL Computers are a major PC and hardware retailer in the UK, and have their own website.

2) The monitor is cheaper on their own website than they are selling it via Amazon. Also, buying it directly from their website avoids the potential warranty complication of buying the monitor from a marketplace instead of directly from a vendor.

3) Furthermore, the product details sections on Amazon are notoriously bad. For instance, it also says the monitor has:
Processor Type Celeron 3865U
It really doesn't have a Celeron 3865U in it... because it's not a NAS or a mini PC, it's a monitor(!)
So just because the Amazon listing promises X, don't believe it.

4) The warranty the monitor has would be provided by Dell. That warranty should be the same from whichever authorised reseller you buy it from. Dell list the warranty for that model as being:

Premium Panel Guarantee:
The Dell Premium Panel Guarantee allows a free panel replacement during the Limited Hardware Warrantyi, even if only one bright pixel is found.

Advanced Exchange Service:
Your monitor comes with a 3-year Advanced Exchange Servicei so that if a replacement becomes necessary, it will be shipped to you the next business day during your 3-year Limited Hardware Warranty.i

But my point is that some companies may not honour the warranty if the item is bought through a marketplace.

Buying the monitor direct from CCL is cheaper than buying it off that Amazon listing, and avoids the potential issue of Dell saying your warranty is invalid because you bought it off a marketplace.

There's literally no upside to buying it off that Amazon listing.

Abraham E.

I didn't say to buy through Dell..? :)

1) The monitor listed on Amazon is not sold by Amazon. It is sold by the marketplace seller. In this case, a company called CCL Computers. CCL Computers are a major PC and hardware retailer in the UK, and have their own website.

2) The monitor is cheaper on their own website than they are selling it via Amazon. Also, buying it directly from their website avoids the potential warranty complication of buying the monitor from a marketplace instead of directly from a vendor.

3) Furthermore, the product details sections on Amazon are notoriously bad. For instance, it also says the monitor has:
Processor Type Celeron 3865U
It really doesn't have a Celeron 3865U in it... because it's not a NAS or a mini PC, it's a monitor(!)
So just because the Amazon listing promises X, don't believe it.

4) The warranty the monitor has would be provided by Dell. That warranty should be the same from whichever authorised reseller you buy it from. Dell list the warranty for that model as being:

But my point is that some companies may not honour the warranty if the item is bought through a marketplace.

Buying the monitor direct from CCL is cheaper than buying it off that Amazon listing, and avoids the potential issue of Dell saying your warranty is invalid because you bought it off a marketplace.

There's literally no upside to buying it off that Amazon listing.

Oh right, I get it now! I initially misunderstood what you meant, my bad.

I'm going to have a look through their website and see if I can get it for either cheaper or the same price.

Thank you so much for the patience 🙏🏾

Abraham E.

No worries. Online marketplaces (and shopping in general) have confusion built in :)

Yeah I noticed...this whole shopping for the build and peripherals has been kinda stressful, to say the least.
Luckily I ordered the build last night, should hopefully proceed with everything else later this week.

My gamers/designer friends quite like the configuration as well, many thanks again, your input was terrific and patient, please keep up the great work guys! 👍🏾