Advice on New Gaming Laptop

Lspeak666

Hi guys,

I am planning to buy a new laptop system for gaming and I have been looking in-depth at some of the systems which can be built by this company.
I was wandering if anyone could give me some advice on what the differences in performances would be between certain components.
I am going to be using the laptop for mostly gaming, I want to be able to run games such as Crysis II on maxed-out settings whilst recording/live-streaming without any fps issues.
I am currently looking at buying this setup:
Chassis & Display
Vortex II: 17.3" Glossy Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)

Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Extreme i7-2960XM (2.70GHz) 8MB

Memory (RAM)
16GB SAMSUNG 1333MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (4 x 4GB)

Graphics Card
2GB AMD® Radeon® HD 6990M - DirectX® 11 (17.3" Vortex II)

Memory - Hard Disk
750GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD7500BPKT, SATA 3 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)

I was wondering what the differences between the Quad Core Mobile Extreme i7-2960XM (2.70GHz) 8MB and the Quad Core Mobile i7-2860XM (2.50GHz) 8MB would be in terms of performance? (Besides £400)
I was also curious as to whether I should get the 8GB of 1600MHz RAM or 16GB of the 1300MHz RAM. Would the extra 300MHz make up for an extra 8GB?
Also what would the difference between the 2GB Nvidia GeForce GTX580m and the 2GB AMD Radeon HD 6990M be?

Obviously these are all pretty expensive pieces of hardware so I don't want to be paying an extra £1000 for a slight or even unnoticeable difference in performance.
Any help you can provide would be a massive help and try to keep biased opinions out of it...I want straight-up facts :)
I plan to place my order for the laptop on Friday the 21st.

Many thanks.

Last edited:

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome to our forums :)

You've certainly chosen pretty much the best specification laptop money can buy, and there's not much available that can rival the performance.

The Quad Core Mobile Extreme i7-2960XM (2.70GHz) 8MB is roughly 8% faster than the Quad Core Mobile i7-2860QM (2.50GHz) 8MB. Here's a comparison between the two: http://ark.intel.com/compare/53478,53476

General reviews are pointing towards the GTX 580 as the faster card, but we're selling more 6990M than GTX 580M at the moment...

For the RAM, the difference between 1600MHz and 1333MHz is minimal, so go for the 16GB option if you require this much memory.

Lspeak666

Okay thanks for putting this into perspective.

I've chosen to go for the Quad Core Mobile i7-2860QM (2.50GHz) 8MB as I don't feel that an 8% difference in performance is worth the £400.
As for the GFX I've chosen to go for the 2GB Radeon HD 6990M.
I'm also choosing the 16GB, 1333Mhz RAM instead of the 8GB, 1600Mhz RAM.

Thanks for your advice. I cannot wait to get my hands on this now :D

InfernalBadger

Bronze Level Poster
RAM prices are so cheap at the moment that you might as well get 16gb. Can never have too much ram :D

I'm looking at almost exactly the same spec. Will probably chuck an SSD in as well.

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
RAM prices are so cheap at the moment that you might as well get 16gb. Can never have too much ram :D

So true - RAM has never been cheaper! The DRAM companies are actually making losses at the current pricing due to a price war.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
whilst on the subject of RAM with an admin, why is it when configuring an AMD top spec PC, i can only choose up to 8GB @1600MHz when its 16GB for the 1333MHz RAM

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
whilst on the subject of RAM with an admin, why is it when configuring an AMD top spec PC, i can only choose up to 8GB @1600MHz when its 16GB for the 1333MHz RAM

Most likely because 1600MHz does not perform well when 16GB is installed.