Advice on upgrading

Nidanal

Hi all,

Below is my current computer from PCS. I'm happy with it and added some more RAM, another HD (I shouldn't rely on externals >.<) and another fan. I'm thinking of upgrading it slowly but surely though. Any suggestions on what should be next?

I'm thinking that the graphics cards might need to be updated. I might even replace them both with one much higher spec. model. I run two screens so the connections are important ^^

Thoughts?

Case
COOLERMASTER ELITE 310 BLUE CASE + 2 FRONT USB

Processor (CPU)
AMD PHENOM II X2 555 (3.20GHz/6MB CACHE/AM3) - BLACK EDITION

Motherboard
ASUS® M4N98TD EVO: DDR3, 2-Way SLI, SATA 3.0GB/s

Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG DDR3 DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (4 X 2GB)

Graphics Card
1GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTS250 PCI EXPRESS

2nd Graphics Card
1GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTS250 PCI EXPRESS

Memory - 1st Hard Disk
500GB SERIAL ATA 3-Gb/s HARD DRIVE WITH 8MB CACHE (7,200rpm)

2nd Hard Disk
1TB

1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM

Memory Card Reader
INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (READS XD, MS, CF, SD, etc)

Power Supply
600W Quiet 80 PLUS Quad Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan (£59)

Processor Cooling
SUPER QUIET 22dBA TRIPLE COPPER HEATPIPE CPU COOLER (£19)

Sound Card
ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)

Network Facilities
ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT

USB Options
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD

Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)

Speakers
LOGITECH S220 2.1 SILVER/BLACK SPEAKER SYSTEM (£16)

Nidanal

Whilst I haven't made any definite decisions, I was thinking ~£200 or less on a GPU, preferably <£150. It's the main thing that's shouting at me in terms of upgrading so spending a little more wouldn't be a bad thing.

Just had a quick look at prices, seems like it'll be quite a good choice. The reviews are good too!

So c'mon, keep 'em coming, what else? (Yes, I'm making that 'This is what'll I'll do over the next 6 months list')

Nidanal

Ah, I should mention now...!

I prefer to stick with Nvidea for all my graphic wants. Not any justified reasons really aside from an AMD in an old build deciding it wanted to go critical a couple of years back! CUDA and PhysX goodness sweeten the deal too. And I'm a sucker for SLI!

Any other areas to improve? I figure that the CPU is ok for the moment although I might move up to a quad and the end of my upgrading spree.

bg92

Expert
I don't see much point for upgrading enything else, as long as this will be ok with gtx460 than you shouldn't amend anything else and when its starts struggling then I would say it would be a time for a new build from scratch.

Reactions: PCS

Phoenix

Prolific Poster
Well with the AM3 motherboard you could quite easily upgrade to a x4 or even x6 when you needed to.

bg92

Expert
btw gtx470 seems to be on offer recently but in your case it might be better to stick with gtx460 as its less power hungry.

bg92

Expert
Well with the AM3 motherboard you could quite easily upgrade to a x4 or even x6 when you needed to.

Oops i din't know that sorry, but I think it might be better to go with a build from scratch after all those new realeses unless budget in an issue than getting an x4 or even x6 would be a good idea but for some time you should be fine with your x2

Nidanal

The 460 looks to be the better option for the moment, at least whilst I still have the 600w PSU. Might have to swap that out in time for something a little stronger.

My CPU is probably alright for a while yet as said. Probably future proofed to an extent too with the help of Asus' overclocking software that came with the motherboard. I've had a little play with it and I've managed to get another 400mhz out of it with no problems under stress. I dare not go any further as I'm not learned in overclocking.

Oh, and I once played with the 'Core Unlocker' switch on the motherboard. Yes I know, sometimes unlocking a core works, sometimes it doesn't. But it nearly killed my PC. The switch is being left well alone now and forever more!

Nidanal

Right, it looks like I'll be ordering a GTX460 in March although I'm wondering which is going to be better for the money, 1GB or 2GB? I know more RAM is better, but is it going to be all that noticeable..?

Meds

They say the extra RAM only becomes noticeable at very high resolutions for example - 2560 x 1600. What sized monitor will you be using & at what resolution?

Randomthom

Silver Level Poster
I've seen the ATi 6950 under £200, that would be a big upgrade, especially as the bios can be flashed to a 6970 on 90% of them and they have a dual-bios so no expensive door-stop if it goes wrong!