Advice please on this spec for a Gaming PC

OddJob

Hello,

As the title says, I'd like some advice please on the following spec for a Gaming PC.

With the addition of about £70 of accessories the current spec is coming out at 1890 inc VAT which is somewhat more than I was aiming at but inevitably there's always that extra step for just a few pounds more.

Priorities
Gaming PC
Run as quietly as possible (This is an important point)
Ideally shave a few pounds off the price (Initial target was £1500-1600)

Notes
I've over-rated the power supply from 650W to 1000W because I may at some future point add a second Graphics Card but my budget will not currently stretch that far.
I've never had a dedicated fan controller before and am uncertain as to how beneficial one will be.
I have no intention of over-clocking.
I can knock £109 off the price by dropping to 16GB RAM
The only reason I had for picking Windows Professional was the site informed me Home version could not access anything above 16GB (Thanks for the info)

Specification
CaseFRACTAL DESIGN ARC MIDI R2 MID-TOWER CASE
Processor (CPU)Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-4820K (3.7GHz) 10MB Cache
MotherboardASUS® SABERTOOTH X79: SOCKET 2011, R.O.G
Memory (RAM)32GB KINGSTON HYPER-X FURY DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz (4 x 8GB)
Graphics Card4GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 770 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready
1st Hard Disk240GB INTEL® 520 SERIES SSD (upto 550MB/sR | 520MB/sW) (Special Offer)
2nd Hard Disk3TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD3003FZEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Power SupplyCORSAIR 1000W RM SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET (£139)
Processor CoolingCorsair H100i Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler (£89)
Thermal PasteSTANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Fan ControllerNZXT Sentry 2 Fan Controller with upto 5 Fitted Case Fans
Sound CardONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs
USB OptionsMIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating SystemGenuine Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit w/SP1 - inc DVD & Licence (£109)

Any thoughts , suggestions , etc , would be appreciated.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
If it is just for gaming it seems unbalanced. 8gb ram is plenty, no need for windows professional and for your budget I would expect a much better graphics card. i7-4790, triple copper heatpipe cpu cooler, z97-a will be cheaper and perform much better than the spec you posted.

T

TheGeeza

I agree with keynes here.
32GB is complete overkill for gaming and you should at least be able to get a 780 in that budget.
Are you sure you need lga 2011? If you went 1155 you could save a fair bit and get better specs for gaming.

OddJob

Thanks for the replies.

No, I'm not sure. The more time passes the more out of touch I get. Which is why I'm asking for advice with the aim of a more balanced and hopefully cheaper spec.

I initially picked the motherboard for future upgrade options but as is usual there is the trade off between the cost of trying to future-proof something or saving the money toward the next replacement.
As with the 770 vs 780 , I don't know if the i7 is really worth the extra over the i5. RAM is still an easy upgrade later but I was surprised Win7 Home wouldn't access more than 16GB. It may be overkill for what I want to do with it but it still seemed like an arbitrary limit.

Thanks again for the advice.