advice please

saracen67

Hi all, i,m afraid i,m a novice at custom built systems but i have an idea of what i would like and i would appreciate any thoughts/comments or suggestions on this build either positive or negative. many thanks.

case: obsidian 650d
cpu: either the overclocked intel six core 17-3930 k OR intel 17 quad core 17-3820
motherboard:asus sabretooth x79
ram:16gb kingston hyper x79 genesis quad-ddr3
graphics cards:x2 geforce gtx 680 in sli
1st hard drive:120 gb intel 520 series ssd sata 6gb
2nd hard drive:1tb caviar black wd100zfaey
optical drive:24x dual layer dvd writer
power supply:corsair 850w enthusiast
intel certified liquid cpu cooler ( and artic paste if overclocked cpu )
nzxt sentry 2 fan controller
sound card:creative sound blaster x-f1 titanium
and proffesional cable management and surge protection.

Again many thanks for any ideas.

Cheers

tom_gr7

Life Serving
sounds good,

whats it for?

i'd get a 1050w corsair, its mod so extra cables removed for added cable management and airflow. also extra power for upgrades, or whatever.

also either chin off the soundcard or get the recon 3d version, the x-fi have been discontinued by creative now, so what little support for the xfi that was available is now gone altogether. you probably dont even need a sound card, i'd stick with onboard then if you decide its not good enough then have a look into asus's sound cards as they are half the price of an creative cards and do exactly the same.

saracen67

Thanks

Many thanks for the advice. Do you know if the intel i7-2700k would be as good to use ? i would like to shave some of the price down if at all possible,thanks again

Corfate

Author Level
An i5 2500 for gaming would be perfect. The hyperthreading on the i7 isn't used, so seems pointless paying more, if it's not utilised, or giving you any more performance :p

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I got the i7 2700k and I am pretty happy with it, I intended to overclock in the future but I doubt I will. The pc I got is mainly for gaming and from reading other threads it seems there is not much benefit for gaming to overclock your pc, there is some instability issues and more heat produced. The GTX 680 SLI will give you plenty of power to play any game at high fps.

ellspeedy

Enthusiast
Corfate you mention that the i5 is perfect for gaming, but assuming youre going to spend £1k + on the rig would it not make sense to go for the i7?

ie this sort of setup

Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7-2600 Quad Core (3.40GHz, 8MB Cache) + HD Graphics
Motherboard
ASUS® P8Z77-V: PCI-E 3.0 READY, WIFI, SLI, CROSSFIREX
Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 4GB)
Graphics Card
1.25GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 570 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready

Also it seems saracen67 has a much larger budget what with SLI 680s, so with his rig once again would the i7 not make more sense?

saracen67

Thanks all for the useful advice and help.i,m going for high specs as i want this system to last and (hopefully) not upgrade for sometime hence spend more now etc etc

Corfate

Author Level
Corfate you mention that the i5 is perfect for gaming, but assuming youre going to spend £1k + on the rig would it not make sense to go for the i7?

ie this sort of setup

Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7-2600 Quad Core (3.40GHz, 8MB Cache) + HD Graphics
Motherboard
ASUS® P8Z77-V: PCI-E 3.0 READY, WIFI, SLI, CROSSFIREX
Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 4GB)
Graphics Card
1.25GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 570 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready

Also it seems saracen67 has a much larger budget what with SLI 680s, so with his rig once again would the i7 not make more sense?

Well, the i5 will handle pretty much anything you throw at it, and it gets utilised more in gaming than the i7 does, so for a gaming rig, the i5 is perfect. The i7 is good for CPU heavy programs, such as if you're rendering etc. Between the i5 and the i7 for gaming, i doubt you'll notice any significant difference for the price difference :)

If you ca nafford it, go for it, but if you need to save money somewhere ,drop the i7 for the i5, and bump up the GPU to the best one you can afford :)

ellspeedy

Enthusiast
Hmm interesting, in my case (as i think is the same for the OP) gaming is priority, and the above posted spec is what im looking at atm, but if i were to drop the cpu to i5 i could invest the spare cash in a 580 gpu.

Iv read that skyrim is quite CPU intensive? this will be the my first heavy use game so a few concerns there

Corfate

Author Level
Hmm interesting, in my case (as i think is the same for the OP) gaming is priority, and the above posted spec is what im looking at atm, but if i were to drop the cpu to i5 i could invest the spare cash in a 580 gpu.

Iv read that skyrim is quite CPU intensive? this will be the my first heavy use game so a few concerns there

Even if Skyrim is CPU intensive, the GPU is still the most important thing.

Looking at my rig in my specs, bf3 plays fine on med, even with a very low end CPU and a low-med GPU. If i had a lower GPU, i honestly think BF3 would be horribly stuttery :p