Advice re laptop vs AIO vs miniPC - budget £1200

robmonf

Hi,

Looking for a budget gaming computer, and due to space looking ideally for a laptop, potentially all-in-one PC (or miniPC) if needed for better spec.
I'd prefer a laptop, but assumed it would compromise on spec for gaming compared to an AIO/miniPC - but looking at the website I'm not sure that's the case?
Within a budget of £1200, could I get as good gaming performance with a laptop as with an AIO or mini-PC?
What spec would you suggest for that budget?
I have a monitor (Samsung U28£590D 28inch 4K), and if I got a laptop would probably continue to use that as a display pretty regularly, if that changes anything.

Edit: I see on another post PCS have new laptops dropping soon? I'm in no rush, aiming to buy at some point in the next month or two

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi,

Looking for a budget gaming computer, and due to space looking ideally for a laptop, potentially all-in-one PC (or miniPC) if needed for better spec.
I'd prefer a laptop, but assumed it would compromise on spec for gaming compared to an AIO/miniPC - but looking at the website I'm not sure that's the case?
Within a budget of £1200, could I get as good gaming performance with a laptop as with an AIO or mini-PC?
What spec would you suggest for that budget?
I have a monitor (Samsung U28£590D 28inch 4K), and if I got a laptop would probably continue to use that as a display pretty regularly, if that changes anything.

Edit: I see on another post PCS have new laptops dropping soon? I'm in no rush, aiming to buy at some point in the next month or two
What's the PC for?

Laptops and AIO's have low power components so have less power than a PC and cost substantially more for equivalent performance.

All depends on what it's for as to weather possible at the budget.

robmonf

Sorry if I didn't make that clear - will be used mainly for gaming (starfield and such), or work (nothing that requires much performance, VDI software mainly). Thanks for your help!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Sorry if I didn't make that clear - will be used mainly for gaming (starfield and such), or work (nothing that requires much performance, VDI software mainly). Thanks for your help!
You'd need a substantially higher budget to be able to drive a 4k monitor I'm afraid, either for a full computer or a laptop/AIO.

At a budget of £1200 you'd be looking at a very entry level 1080p computer, I wouldn't bother spending that on a laptop as it will struggle at 1080p.

robmonf

Thanks, really helpful. I've been running games at 1080p in any case with my previous setup.
Ignoring the 4k and assuming I'd just run at 1080p, it sounds like you nonetheless would say a desktop would be significantly better for a limited budget
Thanks, much apprecited

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks, really helpful. I've been running games at 1080p in any case with my previous setup.
Ignoring the 4k and assuming I'd just run at 1080p, it sounds like you nonetheless would say a desktop would be significantly better for a limited budget
Thanks, much apprecited
Yes, a desktop 4060 for instance is far more powerful than a laptop 4060, the laptop 4060 is more equivalent to a low tier desktop 4050, but you'll pay substantially more for an entry level 1080p laptop / AIO than you will a desktop pc. AIO's generally use laptop components so are equivalent in power terms.