Advice re stuck pixels on 4 brand new Alienware 38 monitors!

mossmotorsport

Bronze Level Poster
Evening all,

I'm a bit of advice, if I may. I'm now on my 4th Alienware AW3821DW monitor, with the latest one just unboxed to find another stuck pixel. These monitors are £1260 (ish) a time, and I'm at a point now where I really am thinking of giving up on finding an imperfection free version of this monitor.

Sometimes the stuck pixels appear immediately, other times it's after a couple of weeks. For the stuck pixels which appear immediately, I'm wondering if the quality control for Alienware monitors is not as comprehensive as they'd like you to believe.

What would you chaps do? For this sum of money, living with what I consider to be a defect feels a kick in the teeth, but one I may have to just accept. I can't keep getting them swapped out (Amazon really won't like me!), but I'm not sure anything else looks quite as nice? The LG 38 uses the same panel, but doesn't look quite as nice. The dead pixel warranty for 3 years on the AW3821DW only covers stuck pixels which appear against a dark background too, not light blue (which mine have all been) against a white background, or red on black.

Is it unreasonable to expect something to just be as it should be, out of the box?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Evening all,

I'm a bit of advice, if I may. I'm now on my 4th Alienware AW3821DW monitor, with the latest one just unboxed to find another stuck pixel. These monitors are £1260 (ish) a time, and I'm at a point now where I really am thinking of giving up on finding an imperfection free version of this monitor.

Sometimes the stuck pixels appear immediately, other times it's after a couple of weeks. For the stuck pixels which appear immediately, I'm wondering if the quality control for Alienware monitors is not as comprehensive as they'd like you to believe.

What would you chaps do? For this sum of money, living with what I consider to be a defect feels a kick in the teeth, but one I may have to just accept. I can't keep getting them swapped out (Amazon really won't like me!), but I'm not sure anything else looks quite as nice? The LG 38 uses the same panel, but doesn't look quite as nice. The dead pixel warranty for 3 years on the AW3821DW only covers stuck pixels which appear against a dark background too, not light blue (which mine have all been) against a white background, or red on black.

Is it unreasonable to expect something to just be as it should be, out of the box?
Where are you buying from? It’s likely an issue with the supplier, I would try another source.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
These are all from Amazon, first one was ordered in March (to tie in with delivery of the new PCS beasty) - perhaps I do need to look elsewhere
Amazon are great for returns and a good place to buy, but I’d have a go at another supplier with good returns policy.

I’d avoid Scan, I found their returns policy very slow and a battle to get anything agreed in the first place.

I would suggest Overclockers personally, they have expensive delivery costs but I’ve always found them very reliable.

Another is John Lewis if they happen to stock it, I know they do some monitors, I’ve had to use them for returns a couple of times over lockdown and they’ve been superb.

mossmotorsport

Bronze Level Poster
That's good advice thanks, my Prime membership has paid for itself already this year! I'll have a look around and compare prices too. Pathetic isn't it - one stuck pixel, but once you've spotted it...

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
That's good advice thanks, my Prime membership has paid for itself already this year! I'll have a look around and compare prices too. Pathetic isn't it - one stuck pixel, but once you've spotted it...
That’s the thing, they are so incredibly obvious once they’re there. From personal experience, I would say don’t accept it, it will bug you the whole time you’ve got the monitor. Especially on such a nice monitor also!

It may well just be poor quality control by Dell but it’s worth trying another supplier as a first thing.

I have (purely unfounded) ideas that suppliers buy in different “grades” of the same hardware much like binned CPUs. Must stress, this isn’t based on any fact I know of, purely down to my experience of buying tech over 25 years. I’ve shopped at Overclockers for decades and have never had a component fail or have to be returned. I don’t know if that’s because they themselves check gear as it comes in and return any that don’t meet their expectations rather than selling it or what, just something I’ve noticed.