Advise on new gaming desktop

Brunomatost

Hi All,

So just got a new desktop and found out the GPU fans were not working even though the GPU was at 51 degrees, after a bit of research I found the option in the Radeon setting was off, so just changed and its working at minimum speed.

Is there any app or program to control the speed of the computer fans ?

I got 1 in the back, 2 up top with the water cooler, 2 in the GPU, 2 on the inside and 3 on the front of the case.

So kinda wanted to put them all working at constant maximum speed.

please do let me know what are my options in terms of either use a app or change something ?

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Man, I love that case! Looks really good. Keep us updated!

Agreed, that's stunning. For a long time I've though Corsair make the best airflow cases for the cash, they've really upped their game with the design side of things now too.

I went with the R6 purely because I preferred the look to the 540 and the 740. Nice to see the old look retired and updated (they weren't pretty) but the functionality remain.

Brunomatost

Is that when under load or normally? GPU fans will often not kick in until the card goes above a certain temp.

What card do you have? If you install GPU-z should tell you the exact model?

sorted now, looked online for some videos and apparently the fan was off in the Radeon settings.
I think the option only kicks in / turns the option on after the GPU reaches certain temp, however I rather have it on at all times.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi All,

So just got a new desktop and found out the GPU fans were not working even though the GPU was at 51 degrees, after a bit of research I found the option in the Radeon setting was off, so just changed and its working at minimum speed.

Is there any app or program to control the speed of the computer fans ?

I got 1 in the back, 2 up top with the water cooler, 2 in the GPU, 2 on the inside and 3 on the front of the case.

So kinda wanted to put them all working at constant maximum speed.

please do let me know what are my options in terms of either use a app or change something ?

Case fans will be set to always on, but cooler fans and gpu fans are set to PWM which means they adjust based on load and temperatures.

It’s not really advisable to adjust PWM fans, but you can set custom curves with something like Speedfan.

Brunomatost

Case fans will be set to always on, but cooler fans and gpu fans are set to PWM which means they adjust based on load and temperatures.

It’s not really advisable to adjust PWM fans, but you can set custom curves with something like Speedfan.

will try speedfan tonight thank you, but the PWM fans if their always working at maximum it will have a better cooling performance than if it only speeds up when needed no ?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
will try speedfan tonight thank you, but the PWM fans if their always working at maximum it will have a better cooling performance than if it only speeds up when needed no ?
No, not really. There’s no need for them to work at max all the time as there’s not the heat to dissipate. All you’ll do is burn out the fans quicker. They’re not designed to run like that.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
GPU fans are meant to switch off under low load (depending on the model).

50 degrees C is nothing for a GPU. When you think about it, they go into the 70s or even 80s under gaming load - which is the load and the temps they are intended to run at for frequent and extended sessions :)

If 50-60 degrees was a problem for them, they wouldn't do very well as gaming GPUs!

You're meant to let the fans switch off on idle, and let the GPU do its thing adjusting fan speeds as it sees fit during gaming load.

Increasing fan speeds can improve performance a bit under gaming load through helping to maintain boost clocks. But as above, no point setting the fans to max. You can just adjust the curve a little through software like Speedfan or MSI afterburner (which I find quite user-friendly).

If you want to watch out for something related to temps, check whether your GPU downclocks itself properly under low loads. It doesn't need to run at full frequency when web-browsing as the loads are so low (at least that's the case with Nvidia GPUs and I assume AMD's are much the same). If it's running at high frequencies under very low loads, then the card will be a bit warmer than it really has to be and there will be a few pence more on your electricity bill.