After some tinkering I think its complete

JediMonsoon

Gold Level Poster
Hi, I’m looking to pick a drive for the games storage and for me it is going to be between the 2TB corsair and the Intel Drives.

I’ve seen some conflicting reports and so would like a bit of advice.

I’ve heard the Intel isn’t reliable but then that the corsair has worse performance.

Any tips/recommendations?

Thank you.

MrWilson

Godlike
Hey,
So we used to be against recommending the Intel m.2 drives as they suffered from low write endurance, but with the latest 670p Model this is no longer the case, and in fact they have a higher write endurance than the Corsair MP400 drives. which was a big surprise to me and a few people on here.
So for a 2tb games drive I would recommend the Intel.
For a 1tb drive the PCS drive actually has the best write endurance out of the 3, which makes it even better value for a 1tb drive.

JediMonsoon

Gold Level Poster
Hey,
So we used to be against recommending the Intel m.2 drives as they suffered from low write endurance, but with the latest 670p Model this is no longer the case, and in fact they have a higher write endurance than the Corsair MP400 drives. which was a big surprise to me and a few people on here.
So for a 2tb games drive I would recommend the Intel.
For a 1tb drive the PCS drive actually has the best write endurance out of the 3, which makes it even better value for a 1tb drive.
Thank you. I guess with the waiting things change. That’s why its good to be on here to hopefully catch the way the wind of change is going and then get stuff clarified.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
The Intel drive is far better value now that it's TBW is a bit more in-line with current budget M2 drives..... but I'm not convinced it's the best way to go if the drive is going to be written to a lot.

For a games drive it'll probably be fine, but I would argue that something along the lines of the SX8200 Pro. That offers over 1200TBW, has all the speed you could ever want for (3500/3000) and has the same £240 price tag.

I understand there are sometimes limitations with the PCS offerings, but if you want it all inside budget then you sometimes need to shop around.

Anything under 1000TBW for 2TB isn't acceptable IMO.

JediMonsoon

Gold Level Poster
This has had a few revisions and I think it is fully ready as I would want it now

Just wondering if there are any particular glaring errors. Currently on day 38 of the order.

It willl be used for gaming (mainly), streaming and some simple video editing.

I will be looking to link it with the samsung g9.

Case
CORSAIR iCUE 5000X RGB MID TOWER GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12 Core CPU (3.7GHz-4.8GHz/70MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
ASUS® CROSSHAIR VIII HERO WIFI (DDR4, PCIe 4.0, CrossFireX/SLI) - RGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
10GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080 - HDMI, DP
1st Storage Drive
2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 256MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive
500GB SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 6900MB/R, 5000MB/W)
2nd M.2 SSD Drive
2TB INTEL® 670p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (up to 3500MB/sR | 2700MB/sW)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 1000W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Corsair H150i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
Wireless Network Card
Non Required
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
NONE
Microsoft® Edge (Windows 10 Only)
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 9 to 12 working days

Schmoo2k

Bronze Level Poster
Similar to my build (and looks nice) - I was told the Corsair H150i ELITE was overkill (and I have the 5950) - but still went with the 150 (non elite version - too old to care about RGB).

Personally I only went with 1TB 980 m2 drive as I will add in the future if/when needed (and I have a large NAS for media storage already).

The Hero MB might be overkill for the 5900, but I would defer to others on that. But if you went for cheaper MB and less HD (and 5000D case) you might have saved enough to justify a 3090 (not for the performance, but for the shorter build time, or you could get a RX 6900 XT for shorter build time?).

JediMonsoon

Gold Level Poster
Similar to my build (and looks nice) - I was told the Corsair H150i ELITE was overkill (and I have the 5950) - but still went with the 150 (non elite version - too old to care about RGB).

Personally I only went with 1TB 980 m2 drive as I will add in the future if/when needed (and I have a large NAS for media storage already).

The Hero MB might be overkill for the 5900, but I would defer to others on that. But if you went for cheaper MB and less HD (and 5000D case) you might have saved enough to justify a 3090 (not for the performance, but for the shorter build time, or you could get a RX 6900 XT for shorter build time?).
I agree the Hero MB is probably overkill but it came down to the fact that when I started looking years ago it was always an aspiration of mine to be able to get one of those board to go with other high spec kit. So when I dropped the Wifi card as the hero board has the same wifi then extra price wasn’t really that much so I though go on treat yourself!!