AIO Fan installation

andrewhawkins986

Bronze Level Poster
Hi all,

When PCS shipped my system, they installed the AIO rad in the front of the case. However, in this position it meant that the CPU pump was the highest point in the system, and as a result it's now become noisy. When the rad was in the front of the PC, the fans were on the 'outside', with the rad on the inside.

I've now moved the rad to the top of the case, but now the rad is screwed directly to the top of the case, with the fans then screwed to the rad on the inside.

In this new position, is there any recommendation on which way the fans should 'blow'? Should they be trying to draw air into the case from the outside (even though they're now behind the rad) or just blowing air from the case over the rad? I suspect it's the former, but wonder whether the restriction of the rad is a potential issue.

Also, it's a 'Coolermaster Liquid Lite 240'. Is the direction of the fans likely to be indicated on them, or is it just a question of powering them and feeling which way the airflow goes?

Edit: This answers the question about determining which way the fans blow at least. It specifies it's for case fans, but hopefully applies to the AIO fans too.

Thanks

Andy

Last edited:

JakAttack

Resident Metalhead
Staff member
For this type of set-up, I would use it as an exhaust (blowing air out)

Did you add case fans to the front when you moved the cooler (or were they already there?) - if not you might want to add one or two as intakes to the front so the exhaust at the top would work correctly.

CMP01

Enthusiast
For this type of set-up, I would use it as an exhaust (blowing air out)

Did you add case fans to the front when you moved the cooler (or were they already there?) - if not you might want to add one or two as intakes to the front so the exhaust at the top would work correctly.

It's pretty much the standard set up tbh. Front fans in, roof/back out. That's whether the AiO radiator is behind the front fans or above the roof ones. The difference between having the AiO cooled via intake or exhaust is generally very small temps wise, only likely an issue on more cramped or minimal airflow cases tbh. I've had it set up both ways with no probs.

andrewhawkins986

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks both.

There was a case fan in the top of the case initially, I've moved that to the front. Will double check that it's set to pull air in, and arrange the rad fans such that they're blowing air out.

Thanks again

Andy