AIO vs Air Cooler Discussion

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
12 years with the same AIO without any replacements? That's definitely an excellent case scenario. I think I read from a poster here who's on their third radiator for the same system within 8 years.

Anecdotal evidence, probably from smokers with pets who place their systems on carpeted floors. 😅

10 years with one, 2 years with the other. First one was the Corsair H50, 2nd one is the H115i Platinum. The Corsair H50 is still going on my Dad's system though. My systems always run 24/7, his does too. Basically that wee H50 has worked its socks off for years.

Like anything, you need to be careful what you purchase and go with tried and tested models/brands etc. I doubt it would be a modern day Corsair unit to go through 3 radiators. If it is.... what on earth are they doing to the radiator? It's a radiator, it's basically a tank for water. Shouldn't ever need replaced no matter what happens.

There's anecdotal evidence that can be relied upon, and made up anecdotal evidence to try and prop up a point. I've witnessed an awful lot of hearsay with AIOs over the years. The proof is in the pudding on here IMO as I don't think I've seen an issue with a build I have recommended yet. As a matter of fact, the only AIO issue I can even think of was with a PCS Frostflow model..... which I wouldn't recommend due to unknowns.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
There was one user who'd had 3 replacement coolers that I can remember, I've tried searching for his posts but can't find it, but if it's the one I'm thinking of, the cooler was completely unsuitable for the CPU and would have been completely maxxed out constantly hence the failures.

You pair a suitable AIO and it will last for the lifetime of the build quite happily.

Gavras

Master Poster
12 years with the same AIO without any replacements? That's definitely an excellent case scenario. I think I read from a poster here who's on their third radiator for the same system within 8 years.

Anecdotal evidence, probably from smokers with pets who place their systems on carpeted floors. 😅
I have two 10 yr old water cooled systems, not had an issue with either.

its main reason I went 115i this time round.

I cannot see me ever using simply an air fan.

I find air fans are really poor when the ambient air is warm, they just do a good job of moving warm air around.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
I find air fans are really poor when the ambient air is warm, they just do a good job of moving warm air around.

THIS. Before commencing my career in healthcare I used to be a chef and if you’re working in a hot kitchen and someone puts a fan in there it’s of no benefit whatsoever. What I would’ve given for a liquid cooled chef’s jacket 🥵

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I have two 10 yr old water cooled systems, not had an issue with either.

its main reason I went 115i this time round.

I cannot see me ever using simply an air fan.

Absolutely, I moved from a Noctua to AIO in 2014. I found that the resting temps on the AIO actually went up about 5 degrees, but the load temps were significantly lower generally but especially in summer. It will keep the CPU at around mid 60's whereas on the Noctua it was mid 70's and up.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Absolutely, I moved from a Noctua to AIO in 2014. I found that the resting temps on the AIO actually went up about 5 degrees, but the load temps were significantly lower generally but especially in summer. It will keep the CPU at around mid 60's whereas on the Noctua it was mid 70's and up.
It was actually my experience with the h100i that made me move to a hybrid cooler on my GPU too, just essentially an AIO strapped on to a founders edition card. Expensive, but wow, temps are totally unachievable on air.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
That’s why I think these new FE cards are so exciting. You linked me that bit of info that showed that they’ve combined great fans, great heat fins and utilised a bit of blower tech too, I’m very impressed by it.
Yeah, it’s a serious cooler, there’s an awful lot of time, expertise and money that’s gone into it, and it definitely has had a positive effect. I think they’ve done a really good job on these 3000 FE cards.

I read a few places that billed the cooling solution alone at around $150 which is pretty significant!

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Yeah, it’s a serious cooler, there’s an awful lot of time, expertise and money that’s gone into it, and it definitely has had a positive effect. I think they’ve done a really good job on these 3000 FE cards.

I read a few places that billed the cooling solution alone at around $150 which is pretty significant!

Wow. If I get my FE 3070 in a couple of weeks I’ll be smug! 😁
9AC06903-F998-4DAC-B8D0-952BCFE7FB28.gif