Air flow???

eagleonthelast

Hi Folks,

This is my first post on the forum so I would welcome any help you could give me.

I'm about to order a new computer but I still have one or two issues, one regarding air flow, as the room where my new baby will go is only about 2 metres x 2 metres and there isn't a window or vent. I have never had any bother with the computer I've had for yonks, but the cpu and graphics are very low key to the present day standards. I intend getting at least an i5 2500 and probably a i7 2600 cpu, and a Nvidea GTX 440 graphics card, the case I prefer is the Coolermaster 690 Mk2 but there will only be a couple of inches below the keyboard shelf on my desk, would that be enough for the fan to pull enough air in? the other case I like the look of is the Sileo 500 quiet but that seems to obviously concentrate on keeping the noise in, so cooling may be a problem with that choice. I do know of some people who have their units in very small enclosures without ventilation, but I would like a little reassurance before I finally decide what choice to make. Hope someone can help please?

Teaz

Godlike
Hi! :) welcome to the forums.

as for your new baby im sure you mean by the pc and not a real baby :p

How would you describe 2meters by 2meters? top and side or side by side etc etc? If you want some good airflow then it will need some breathing room from where the exhuasts and intakes happen, good airflow does not alays mean good cooling, everyones case is different. the 690mk2 should have 3 fans in total once received where the top and back are exhuast and the front is intake so that should be some decent good airflow since the gtx440 shouldnt be spitting out hot air alot which should be good but since you are keeping it under a desk with just a few inches you are kinda restricting the top exhuast especially and that will lead to ambient temps around the case to rise and it will be the only thing your fan will be sucking in. so good ventilation and space along with good airflow in the case will help.

What are the temps in the room the pc will be in? Also could you post the spec you will be getting just to know roughly where heat could most lurk at.

eagleonthelast

Thanks for reply Teaze, the room used to be a small bedroom but I altered it and put a shower room at one end leaving about a 2m x 2m square. I've taken the radiator out and the base unit will be opposite the door, so that should create a draught if left open. I will be using my new computer for mainly photo editing but not in a big way, and just browsing in general so maybe I'm going over the top with my spec, I'm not sure but it will come in handy down the line at some point I reckon.

i5 2500 or i7 2600.
p8p67
8GB Ram
Nvidea GT 440
WD 1TB Caviar Black
Corsair 650 TX
Iiyama 2473 monitor
etc etc.

Considering I'm still using an AMD Athlon 2000 XP (1.7 mhz) and 1 GB ram with a Radeon 64 mb graphics card, I think my new spec should improve things slightly.:winkiss:

Last edited:

Teaz

Godlike
if roughly near 2m x 2m square then that room or space should be no a prob for some airflow. roughly how much space would you have for the pc? the cm690 mk2 case's size is approx H511mm x W214mm x D528mm. So you could get about 10-15cm of space for the back of the pc and about the same for the top then you should be good while 15+ for the side would be good for some breathing room for the pc.

As for the spec that should be a prob. not much to be changed unless the ram to be dropped down to 4gb but i think 8gb is good to go with. you dont have to go for the i7, the i5's performence is just near the i7 so you could save yourself with the i5 :).

kriwad

Silver Level Poster
You're worrying too much, I couldn't comment on the spec because I don't do any photo/video editing.
As long as the door is open you'll be fine and probably when it isn't other than summer... keep the vents clear like Teaz said. You'll need the door opening first anyway unless you're a lizard :p
If you're really OCD like me, you can run tools like CPU-z and GPU-z to keep an eye on temps :)