Airless tyres anyone?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I wonder how long each tyre will last? And which will go first, the tyre tread or one (or more) of the flexible 'spokes'? I wonder too how much road noise it generates, both for those in the car and those outside?

I wonder what the 'fibreglass blend' is? I have some experience of fibreglass from my boat life and I'd expect those spokes to snap pretty quick. Obviously the 'blend' is the real secret to these tyres.

They'll be a nightmare to keep clean too.

It's an interesting development though. :)

steaky360

More material = more money. These are going to cost a fortune.
Yeah, I'd imagine they will too, there will likely also be 'early adopter tax' simply because its new tech.

It would be madness if they don't end up lasting substantially longer than a traditional tyre (if they're more expensive/difficult to make etc). But I can't really see how they 'could' last that much longer, given its the tread that typically wears out first on a normal tyre... Maybe these are easier to re-tread/refurbish?

It seems like its going to be quite some time till they arrive in the consumer market over here though so we might be waiting a while!

Perhaps for an individual they may not make as much sense (cost and what not) but for the industry it appears to have potential to be a game changer in terms of reducing waste etc.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
More material = more money. These are going to cost a fortune.
They would cost a fortune even if they were much cheaper to make. Novelty has a price!

Yeah, I'd imagine they will too, there will likely also be 'early adopter tax' simply because its new tech.

It would be madness if they don't end up lasting substantially longer than a traditional tyre (if they're more expensive/difficult to make etc). But I can't really see how they 'could' last that much longer, given its the tread that typically wears out first on a normal tyre... Maybe these are easier to re-tread/refurbish?

It seems like its going to be quite some time till they arrive in the consumer market over here though so we might be waiting a while!

Perhaps for an individual they may not make as much sense (cost and what not) but for the industry it appears to have potential to be a game changer in terms of reducing waste etc.
I would guess (because I don't know) that what wears pneumatic tyres out the fastest is incorrect tyre pressures - followed by poor steering geometry. These will solve the first problem, though not the second.

steaky360

They would cost a fortune even if they were much cheaper to make. Novelty has a price!

I would guess (because I don't know) that what wears pneumatic tyres out the fastest is incorrect tyre pressures - followed by poor steering geometry. These will solve the first problem, though not the second.
Yeah their marketing blurb seems to suggest that poor tyre pressure management is the main cause (but of course they would ;) ), it certainly makes sense to me that this would be the case though. They also cite side-wall damage and punctures too as being main culprits for wasting otherwise perfectly good tyres, which seemingly these "UPTIS" tyres are far more resistant too.

Only time will tell I guess, if they're 'solving' a problem by lowering the wastage of tyres but actually increasing the amount of material required to make the tyres in the first place... maybe its not a real solution?

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
The real test for these would be to drive on some of the roads we have in Bucks................

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I had a bike with airless tyres back in the 80s (they were solid rubber). Took a bit of leg power to get them going but once you were on a hill they flew!

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I had a bike with airless tyres back in the 80s (they were solid rubber). Took a bit of leg power to get them going but once you were on a hill they flew!
I remember my dad stuffing his motorbike tyres with straw to get us home from a camping holiday in North Wales.

techguyone

Silver Level Poster
Is bad tyre pressure even a thing now all newish cars all have TPMS

I bet hardcore criminals will love them though, ultimate run-flat/stinger proof.

Bigfoot

Grand Master

I bet hardcore criminals will love them though, ultimate run-flat/stinger proof.
People can still ignore the alarms. Annoyingly, my car has started to tell me to check tyre pressures, even though I have topped them up and the displayed pressures in the car are all green.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine

I haven't had a flat tyre for literally a decade or so since I've had Aluminium rings, you have to do something quite severe to damage the tyre to the point it springs a leak anymore.