Aliens - Fireteam Elite

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Has anyone heard of this game?

Just saw an ad for it, and it looks really cool!

It was released 24th August and has good review on Steam

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
I think it looks like one of those games that could be some good short term fun, especially if you’re playing with two friends in co-op. My trusted games reviewer was somewhat scathing about it, though…

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I think it looks like one of those games that could be some good short term fun, especially if you’re playing with two friends in co-op. My trusted games reviewer was somewhat scathing about it, though…

I need to read more on the single player but £35 ain't bad for a new release. The deluxe pack is really more geared towards online gameplay

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
I need to read more on the single player but £35 ain't bad for a new release. The deluxe pack is really more geared towards online gameplay
That’s the problem for me, I don’t play online these days so I don’t think I’d be getting my money’s worth.

I’m going to play Sniper Elite 4 next, that one managed to pass me by a few years ago!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
There's a really good in depth review from a person that's played 20 hours of both online and campaign important comments highlighted:

- Singleplayer :
You can play this singleplayer, with bots however it is bots. So they might not always know when it's the best time to use X Y or Z ability, however they are fairly good shooters. Probably about the average gamer level, more than good enough for you to complete the entire campaign on Standard, as long sa you pull your own weight.

- Multiplayer :
The campaign is 4 arcs each with 3 chapters. - As you complete the missions you can replay them for rewards and exp, the encounters are random although the defend against horde areas are the same, but enemy placement and composition in attacks and where and when varies.
Once you complete a mission you get rewards, usually cosmetics for your weapons, along with an attachment for a weapon or a weapon and other goodies.
You get exp for your character, your class and your weapons. As you get higher levels you unlock new modifiers and other perks to customize your loadout and you can vastly change your playstyle though this.

Once you complete the campaign, you gain access to Horde mode, which personally is not as fun. But it's a thing some people enjoy, I prefer doing the campaign with increased difficulty.
As of the date this review is written, there is no option to "Quick Play", meaning if you want to play the campaign with people you have to pick which mission you want, and hope others picked the same mission that you did, even if you don't care which mission you play and just want to play with someone, you still have to pick and hope you find someone. A quickplay option is highly needed in my opinion.

There are also challenge cards, which can either add benefits or negative effects for your team during the mission, if its a negative effect you are rewarded with exp or credits, a negative effect could be that you are only allowed to use 1 of your 2 weapons.

Note: I have not experienced any disconnect issue when playing this game online with randoms. 20 hours played.

- Customization :
You can create your own character, your very own marine. Although the character creator is very light with very few options, it is there. I am happy to have some sort of character creator rather than playing Geralt, or another person I cannot relate to. The ability to create your OWN character is nice, and should be more common.

Character specialization and classes; there are 5 different classes, one of which you unlock after the campaign. They each serve their own purpose. Neither seems over-powered or under-powered. They did a really good job here making them all feels equally exciting and balanced in their own aspect. You don't feel a class is bad, but you might feel it's just not your playstyle however.
For as Demolisher you can either focus on dealing damage, or build yourself to be able to do CC on stronger enemies. That way you can effectively have 2 demolishers on the team, without feeling you should only have 1 of each class, because you can customize you class to be different, and with that said. It's also perfectly viable to have 2 Demolishers who uses their stun build so you have 2 CC built demolishers which gives you a lot more control during large fights with many strong foes. You can build yourself to be good at clearing multiple small enemies, or just build around focusing stronger enemies.

Basically you can play what you want, without feeling like you have to play something else because you and your friends might want to play the same thing, in this game it's viable to play the same thing and it works.

Weapons got a lot of attachments as well, barrel, scope, mag and more. So you can make or fine tune the weapon you like. Speaking of The Weapon you like, all weapons are viable, despite not having access to them all at once, it's mostly about what weapon you prefer to use.

- Longevity :
The depth of customization and the freedom of how all the modifiers and perks work universal between all classes opens the game up for a long of options in customization and thus giving this game a fairly good possibility for a long lifespan. However, as I said earlier; The game is missing a "Quick Play" feature, so you can't just join people, you have to hope you find people as you pick a mission. This makes it a lot harder to see this game having a long lifespan beyond the initial playthrough of the campaign and perhaps a few horde missions. The campaign length is about 6-9 hours I'd guess. This point I will correct with more accurate information once I got more time to play it, with more accurate numbers. Outside of that there is a decent longevity in unlocking modifiers and opening up the perk Tetris talent game. You get a lot of new and exciting things and combinations you want to try out, which kept my interest thus far 20 hours in. You will see for how much longer by my hours played.

- Level Design :
I added this point because it deserves to get noted how well they actually designed the levels, and how faithful a lot of the maps scenic are to the movies, from all the alien based movies. You got pretty much everything you seen from every movie that the aliens is based on and their origin. A lot of cool references spread throughout the campaign.

- Performance :
They already had a performance update 1 day after release; I heard people who had a RTX 2080 runs the game around 40FPS, before this patch running on medium settings. and 100fps on a RTX 3080, before the patch on high settings. This speaks to a poorly optimized game.
That was just what I heard people say. Now that I got my hands on the game myself, and with the performance patch in place, I run the game at 100fps on high settings, with a GTX1070. - I am not quite sure how much changed in this patch, but I am running the game fairly well. 100fps with a GTX1070 was more than I hoped for.
So I feel this game is at this point in time fairly well optimized.

- Final thoughts :
If you like Aliens and like shooters, I would say this is a must buy, definitely worth it.
If you are just a fan of shooters, I would also say there is a great deal of fun to be had if you like these kind of horde shooter games.

If you do not like shooters you wouldn't even consider this game, and you cannot play as an Alien.
If you don't like horde shooter games, or other PvE shooters, then you probably also don't like this game.

I feel this game is a mix of Left 4 Dead with some The Division 2 and a coating of Aliens on top.
Thus this game is outright better than Left 4 Dead, because of the level of customizations you have on both weapons and classes.

Budget / Marketing :
It’s clear they had a very limited budget to this, but seems like they spent money on what mattered to make a good game. This in turn however also means the budget for marketing were small, perhaps too small. Because I’m worried this game goes under the radar for a lot of people, and I feel like they deserve more attention than they are getting. The weapon and class depth really adds a lot of value to the game, and I rather have cool specialization mechanics with a lot of freedom instead of just having lip sync during dialogue. But nowadays you almost have to have a sponsored twitch marketing campaign before launch to get good sales numbers, which they didn’t do. Unlike Back 4 Blood and other new games, this game almost didn’t spend any money on marketing. However this game sets a new standard for horde shooter games in the level of customization those games should have, and will be a thing I will refer to in the future for new games. As I feel customization and personalization of your character is very important for games.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
That’s the problem for me, I don’t play online these days so I don’t think I’d be getting my money’s worth.
It's £35 for the single player, £60 for the online additional items like custom shotgun and skins and all that nonsense.

I'm like you, can't do online games, just can't keep up with people, I really like nerding out on levels when I want to and arbitrarily search every corner and every cabinet for no apparent reason ;)

The one time I played online was Left4Dead, I was playing with 3 other what I can only assume were kids judging by their voices, I got so frustrated I turned the gun fire on them and left the game :ROFLMAO:

D

Deleted member 41971

The one time I played online was Left4Dead, I was playing with 3 other what I can only assume were kids judging by their voices, I got so frustrated I turned the gun fire on them and left the game

i have only ever played online once, my experience consisted of saying "what are you 10" a voice said, "no 12, and thats not the point you suck" at which point I thought, "screw this I'm an adult, turned the console off and went to have a beer"

I prefer single player. (y)

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Game looks really good to be honest, most of my mates who I played with though have all moved to console over the years. So I generally just paly a lone these days which means I'll probably give it a miss

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I dabbled in multi-player when I first got Xbox Live, but got fed up with the crap talk over the headset, so ended up turning more and more options off. In the end I wasn't talking or listening to anyone...and decided I couldn't trust randoms online to play the game properly or equitably.

I also had a phase of reporting players who were obviously under-age...I blame the parents ;)

robin h 25

I'm a huge fan of Aliens, and this game was a must buy for me,

Every Alien game I've played has had me feeling like this...
Aliens Lets Rock.gif

Until the 2013 Aliens: Colonial Marines came along,
This about some's that game up🤢🤮...

steaky360

I've held off as the game received fairly negative press from what I've seen being largely linear and 'in corridors' the entire time... but hopefully that is going to change? I've not seen any more recent reviews of it...

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I've held off as the game received fairly negative press from what I've seen being largely linear and 'in corridors' the entire time... but hopefully that is going to change? I've not seen any more recent reviews of it...
The steam reviews were mostly positive. I think they had disconnect issues on release, but looks like that was resolved early on

steaky360

The steam reviews were mostly positive. I think they had disconnect issues on release, but looks like that was resolved early on
Its more the general game / gameplay reviews I was meaning - From what I saw, they indicate that its a buggy, potentially boring game... I'm hoping not... but it certainly didn't sound too good.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Its more the general game / gameplay reviews I was meaning - From what I saw, they indicate that its a buggy, potentially boring game... I'm hoping not... but it certainly didn't sound too good.
The campaign is also only about 4-5 hours to complete, with reviews saying there’s not a lot to keep you coming back when you’re done.

One to pick up in a few months when it’s heavily discounted, I’m not convinced it’s worth spending £35 on.