All things Fallout

Luucilu

Hello All!

I thought maybe we could have a light discussion about Fallout!

Most of us are probably rather aware of Todd Howard's gorgeously
executed saving of the vidyas, with that brilliant E3 presentation of his.

So, if you clicked to read this thread you're probably interested in Fallout,
and you have most like preordered Fallout 4... I know I have!

Here's my question for ya:

Have you played the originals? Which do you prefer and why?

I own both, but every single time I try to get into them, I can't. I think it's
the turn based combat that gets me. I played the Fallouts in a weird order
(NV, 3, 2, 1... not touched Tactics) and so it's all a little higgletypigglety for me.
I want to play 1 & 2 but I find after half hour I just close it and get on with life.

I know I'm missing out, but I need some encouragement.

Try to convince me which one to stick it out at and I'll try. Or, we can just talk
about how FREAKING EXCITED WERE ARE FOR FALLOUT 4.

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Fallout 3 was my first experience with the series. Not sure how the originals passed me by at the time. I own the others, and have TRIED to play Fallout for example. I know it was a great game for its time, but I maintain that anyone that says that can still play it and have fun and either lying or lying :D

Never really got into NV. I think I was just too attached to my F3 character to really care that much about this new person. Not least the fact I always thought it was masterful how you are essentially born in F3 and grow up, whereas NV you just happen to get clonked on the head.

I will play F4, probably won't pre-order it yet though as not sure when I will get round to playing it. Hopefully with the name it is more a spiritual successor to the third game :)

DED

Luucilu

Thanks for the response! I agree with you, I was totally unaware about the original games and actually kind of get confused about how people still rant and rave over it.
I absolute adore the Fallout series, and I thought that in turn would mean I'd love the originals... but it's just not happening!

I'm torn between 3 and NV. NV is more condensed which I liked because it felt more alive, whereas Fallout 3 was so open and barren that it really did feel like a wasteland - though for me I kept on thinking the game was just a lot more empty than anything else. Still, doesn't mean I don't like 3! I love it to bits! NV feels warmer, 3 feels cooler :)

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
I like Fallout, but don't get as hyped as everyone else seems to get. I won't preorder and will probably wait until its under a tenner on Steam.

I didn't enjoy Fallout 3 much when I first got it on my Xbox, maybe it was because it wasn't the kind of game I was expecting and the kind I was into at the time (Call of Duty mostly). I've rebought it on Steam though and want to get round to playing it soon as I enjoyed what I played of NV on PC

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I've got 3 and NV, started 3, but as you say, got quite disolusioned with how vast it was, found myself stuck in game because I wasn't powered up enough to complete some quests in an area and just gave up on it.

Because of that, I never started NV as I tend to like to play the earlier ones before the newer.

I'd like to give 3 another go now though, this thread has piqued my interest again.

Luucilu

:)

...found myself stuck in game because I wasn't powered up enough to complete some quests in an area and just gave up on it.

100% agreed! When I was tasked to go to the Museum of Technology to recover the satellite dish for Three Dog, I found I was vastly outnumbered and underlevelled. I had to find places to grind to even attempt to get even near the building.

... this thread has piqued my interest again.

Good! I'm glad! Everyone should go back and play these games! I love going back to a game I'd previously spent a heck of a lot of time playing, only to have not touched it for months on end! It rekindles the love :)

Spuff

Expert
After the Fallout 4 presentation excitement I stopped Witcher 3 half way through and I am playing Fallout 3. I originally played 3 on the PS3 without any of the DLC, and there is quite a lot of DLC for the PC version. 3 with all the DLC is less than £6 on Steam. I like 3 more than Witcher.
Fallout/Elder Scrolls and GTA are my favourite games.

The care and thought you have to use early in the game with certain enemies makes an eventual victory very satisfying.
Get one of the alien blasters (both to be found in the North) and you will have no trouble with any enemy.

moosEh

Administrator
Staff member
I love the Fallout series.

I originally played Fallout 3 first and then several times before getting mods.

Then NV without mods, with mods and with a resto mod (so awesome as it adds so much in), then i have tried fallout 1. Like you said i struggle to play it so ive just watched a you tube series which runs through all the lore lost out by not playing those games.

I can dig out my mod list if anyone wants?

moosEh

Administrator
Staff member
I'd be interested in that! For which Fallout? At the moment I only have mods for 3 and they're all graphical :)

I have read this so many times. I adore it. I know knowing about all the tiniest things to do with Fallout :)

New Vegas, i would recommend completing the game without first.