Already Loving My Defiance V RTX 17.3 - Witcher 3 Performance

danfid

I can't be happier with my purchase.

I received my laptop this morning. Installed Afterburner and ran Witcher 3 (Steam) on Ultra settings. The screenshot is after 4 hours of straight play. My laptop sits perfectly on the CoolerMaster, on my lap. (I'm ill today so PJ's, horror movies, and Witcher 3 on the sofa :) )

Chassis & Display
Defiance Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD 144Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Six Core Processor 9750H (2.6GHz, 4.5GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair 2666MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2080 Max-Q - 8.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st Storage Drive
1TB Samsung 860 QVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 550MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
2TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3300MB/W)
2nd M.2 SSD Drive
1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3300MB/W)
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Operating System
Windows 10 Professional 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence
Laptop Cooling Stands
CoolerMaster NotePal L2 Laptop Cooler, upto 17.3 inch

witcher3_2020_01_16_15_28_11_2341.jpg

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Saddest quest in the game by a country mile :(

When you complete it for the first time and break down the events and all that happened to get things how they are... just wow...

Great to hear you're enjoying the laptop, and the game!

Though tbh I think you may have skimped on SSD storage :p

danfid

When you complete it for the first time and break down the events and all that happened to get things how they are... just wow...

Great to hear you're enjoying the laptop, and the game!

Though tbh I think you may have skimped on SSD storage :p

I thought it a bit much as well, but there was an extra slot. And I am not one to leave a slot unfilled. 😁😁

danfid

I'm delaying the quest. Once I got past the baby bit I had to put the remainder of the quest on hold. As a father myself it was hard experiencing that.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Skimped on the RAM too :D

That's a perfect gaming laptop IMO, CPU, GPU, screen etc. You could have lived with the non-q 2070 I imagine but if you can justify it.... why not. Bit OTT on the RAM and maybe the storage (all depends) but that a bit of kit that is.

GPU is running at the perfect temp, clearly being stretched to its optimum and your CPU is sitting at a very comfortable gaming temp.

danfid

Skimped on the RAM too :D

That's a perfect gaming laptop IMO, CPU, GPU, screen etc. You could have lived with the non-q 2070 I imagine but if you can justify it.... why not. Bit OTT on the RAM and maybe the storage (all depends) but that a bit of kit that is.

GPU is running at the perfect temp, clearly being stretched to its optimum and your CPU is sitting at a very comfortable gaming temp.

Thank you for the comment. I specifically went for the Q version to minimize heating. From all of the reviews, the 2080M-Q was only slightly better than the 2070. So the heating was the big draw for me.

And your right. The 32 was overkill. But if a socket or RAM chip goes bad, I've got a backup with probably zero affect on overall performance. 😁