Alternative software to manage keyboard leds on laptops?

claval

Bronze Level Poster
Good morning folks,

I'm finally starting to settle with my new laptop and only some nitpicking remains from me. The "Gaming Centre" really does a basic job at letting me configure behaviour of the laptop, plus I've a couple of questions.

I'm not sure this is the right sub-forum but it didn't felt much as a need for support, more of a "I need someone to help me understand something".
The laptop, if that is importat for these questions, is Recoil 3.

So here are the questions:

1. What "discrete GPU" does? It's discrete meaning "silent"? Are there use-cases in which I should turn this on?
2. "Gamer Mode" activate all the toggles I need for gaming but also map the keyboard lights to an horrid WASD and Arrows only...? Is there a way to disable this?
3. Lighting Settings: There are 5 profiles and I cannot find a way to change the names or assign profiles to a software running or bind them to a trigger like Time of the Day... is there a way to do that?

And last but not least, is there another software that can manage the lightings/fans/modes (I suppose it's just giving more power to one thing or another) without getting in the way of the the Gaming Centre, or even replacing it?

As much as I appreciate it, it definitely comes out as a very basic software lacking lots of good features and on which someone wanted to instead spend time implementing the painfully slow opening animation :LOL:

Thank you for any help you can offer!

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
1. What "discrete GPU" does? It's discrete meaning "silent"? Are there use-cases in which I should turn this on?
Discrete GPU means the dedicated graphics card as opposed to the integrated Intel graphics, which the laptop will try to use where possible to reduce power consumption.

Discrete as in separate / distinct - versus discreet which is quiet :)

So I assume anything labelled Discrete GPU is about toggling the Nvidia GPU's use.

Which laptop is this? If it's got "gaming centre" I assume a Recoil?

claval

Bronze Level Poster
Sorry for the late reply. Dunno why I didn't got email notification as usual.

It's a recoil yes. I didn't really thing about that meaning of "discrete" as the laptop with nvidia comes with the nvidia optimus technology that switch between the two cards depending on the software.

Any ideas about an alternative for the keyboard lighting management? :)

At the moment I'm basically not using it because going through the profile and change them manually, plus setting the up for games, is too much of an hassle.

Switching to game mode is also avoided as it turns every key's light off apart a useless WASD and Arrow Keys :D

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Nvidia no longer has Optimus, hasn't for a long time, it's something different now afaik.

On laptops that have the Nvidia Optimus technology, there was usually a button to force use of the dedicated (discrete) graphics card. So my guess is that this is the equivalent.

I have no idea - perhaps ask PCS directly? You could ask also on the notebookreview forums. While not PCS specific, they discuss the chassis that are used by PCS and many other people, and so will have a wider base of knowledge on your Tongfang chassis. It's what I would do :)

claval

Bronze Level Poster
Optimus technology may have been "dismissed" but the Nvidia Control Panel remained the same :p

The equivalent of that "discrete" GPU is this setting I guess :)

1578405295519.png

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
High performance NVIDIA processor is, as you say, the discrete GPU

I think the tech that has largely replaced Optimus is MSHybird. Which has nothing to do with Microsoft afaik. :)