Am I missing something?

jerpers

Master
Hello

When running some checks, I noticed that my overclock was not present. PCS had said it was overclocked to 4.5Ghz but in CPU-Z it was only at 4.0Ghz. I have not overclocked myself for a while so did some reading and started about it.

I used ROG Realbench to do benchmarking and HW Monitor as well as the corsair link software to check temps. After everything was fine I went into the BIOS. I set the 1-Core Ratio Limit to 45 and a voltage of 1.32v (I had read of stable clocks of 4.6Ghz at 1.35v so thought I would start there.) Everything booted fine, and after an hour of stress testing, everything was stable and CPU Temps didn't rise above 62 C.

I then started lowering the voltage in increments of 0.01 as recommended and continued to test, all went well.

I am now down to 1.22v (well under the stock voltage of 1.296!) Everything is stable and CPU temps are down to just over 50 C under stress testing. Gaming on Battlefront and Assassins Creed Syndicate on max settings is completely stable and fine too. My question is this, is there any issues continuing to drop the voltage? If I can go lower and keep the temps down that would be great. Will lower voltages cause any damage to anything? I can't see how they will but as I said I have not done this for some time.

jerpers

Master
So I got the voltage down to 1.18v and everything was lovely and stable. The problem was the next day it kept crashing. I can only conclude that it was happy with the reduced voltage whilst it was warm and running. It couldn't cope with a cold boot. I know have it running beautifully at 1.248v. It seems to me that the stock voltage for this processor have been over estimated and it can run stably at a much lower voltage. Or I have been extremely lucky and have received a real top quality piece of silicon. :punk: