AMD 3800x cooler?

McFatPole

Hi guys, I am looking to buy a pc but i am not sure on the cooling and whether or not the processor may bottleneck the cu, the components are:

Case
COOLERMASTER MASTERCASE H500 ARGB GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Eight Core CPU (3.9GHz-4.5GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)
down_right_arrow.gif
Get Assassin’s Creed® Valhalla with select AMD Ryzen CPUs
Motherboard
ASUS® ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3600MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
NONE, I ALREADY HAVE A GRAPHICS CARD, I am buying an rtx 3080 seperately and I will install it myself
1st Storage Drive
2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA 120 2.5" SSD, (up to 560MB/sR | 540MB/sW)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB SEAGATE FIRECUDA 520 GEN 4 PCIe NVMe (up to 5000MB/R, 4400MB/W)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 750W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
PCS FrostFlow 100 RGB Series High Performance CPU Cooler (AMD)
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Extra Case Fans
3x CoolerMaster SickleFlow 120 ARGB + Controller Kit
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]

I was wondering if the cooler is good enough or if i should upgrade maybe to the noctua nh-u14s ( although this will clash with the rgb xD) or maybe try water cooling but im scared of a leak aswell,I am not planning on overclocking aswell. I was also wondering if the amd 3800x is a good enough cpu for the rtx 3080. Thank you very much for any help !!!

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I wouldn't settle for anything less than a 240mm water cooler on any high end chip nowadays. With the 3800X it runs fairly cool by comparison so you can get away with lesser brands such as the PCS variant, or the Coolermaster. If you want to go premium then you want the H100i RGB platinum or the H115i.

If you really don't want to go with a water cooler then I would stick with the stock cooler.

McFatPole

I wouldn't settle for anything less than a 240mm water cooler on any high end chip nowadays. With the 3800X it runs fairly cool by comparison so you can get away with lesser brands such as the PCS variant, or the Coolermaster. If you want to go premium then you want the H100i RGB platinum or the H115i.

If you really don't want to go with a water cooler then I would stick with the stock cooler.
Ok thank you very much, the only thing keeping me from air coolers is that the rtx 3080 apparently pushes hot air towards the cpu cooler and it may increase temperatures

McFatPole

Ok thank you very much, the only thing keeping me from air coolers is that the rtx 3080 apparently pushes hot air towards the cpu cooler and it may increase temperatures
But I am also scared of any leakages from a water cooler damaging my hardware

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Out of interest, what monitor will you be pairing this with? What resolution and refresh rate or make and model if you're unsure?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
But I am also scared of any leakages from a water cooler damaging my hardware
The liquid in AIO watercoolers isn't conductive so won't cause any damage if a leak occurs, but that happening in the first place is like a 0.1% chance, it's so rare

McFatPole

I currently have a AOC 1920x1080 144 hz monitor but i am looking to also get a 1440p monitor aswell, hopefully at 144hz but will see

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I currently have a AOC 1920x1080 144 hz monitor but i am looking to also get a 1440p monitor aswell, hopefully at 144hz but will see
There's zero point to the 3080 for those monitors, it's vastly overpowered, you'd be better off with the RTX3060 / 3060ti which will be released in October.

Reason I'm so passionate about this is that there are a lot of people who don't really understand GPU's saying they'll pair a 3080 with weak screens, the point is these cards are going to be in very short supply and need to go to those people who are actually going to make use of them.

Do you have any recommendations for watercoolers?
I would say the same as @Scott regarding coolers, if it were me, I'd definitely go with the H100i Platinum on anything over the 3600XT until the 3900x and then I'd go with the H115i Platinum.

Last edited:

McFatPole

There's zero point to the 3080 for those monitors, it's vastly overpowered, you'd be better off with the RTX2060 / 2060ti which will be released in October.

Reason I'm so passionate about this is that there are a lot of people who don't really understand GPU's saying they'll pair a 3080 with weak screens, the point is these cards are going to be in very short supply and need to go to those people who are actually going to make use of them.

I would say the same as @Scott regarding coolers, if it were me, I'd definitely go with the H100i Platinum on anything over the 3600XT until the 3900x and then I'd go with the H115i Platinum.
Ok I will take that into consideration :) thank you very much for the help @Scott @SpyderTracks :)