AMD 4000 desktop processors won't be compatible with older boards

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi all

Thought this worth mentioning.

The upcoming Zen 3 cpu's will be losing compatibility with older motherboards.

This means that any board before the X570 is NOT compatible (at least initially). So no support on the B450 unfortunately.

Now, this has happened previously and some motherboard manufacturers have found a way to release custom BIOS to add support to legacy boards, so who knows.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
That's a bit of a bummer but the B450 was always ropy. I was certain that the X570 was going to support but I was always wary of the B450.

At least it's semi-confirmed now.

I don't think there's any real shock as the B450 was fudged for the 3000 series. VRMs are going to come into play big style going forward, the voltage needs to be sooooooo clean for the 7nm chips to function optimally. The tighter they are getting, the tighter the voltage needs to be.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I don't think there's any real shock as the B450 was fudged for the 3000 series. VRMs are going to come into play big style going forward, the voltage needs to be sooooooo clean for the 7nm chips to function optimally. The tighter they are getting, the tighter the voltage needs to be.
Absolutely, the B450 hosting the 3000 series is literally just fudging and only really works on lower powered chips as the VRM's just can't take the extra power.

It doesn't surprise me in the slightest. There have been lots of threads saying how evil AMD are, but look at how long AM4 had full support of previous generations, they went well above necessity to add backwards compatibility. Zen 3 is a brand new architecture and deserves completely redesigned hardware to sit on, otherwise I'd see huge stability issues which AMD want to avoid entirely. Zen 3 is SUCH a huge improvement, they don't want it let down by buggy board support.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
The only disappointment for me has been the B550. I don't know who is to blame for this but the B550 chipset should have been available for people along with the 3000 Series at the same time as the X570, as a fully supported less enthusiast based alternative.

For me that's the only reason the B450 was made compatible..... but people would have purchased the B550 as an alternative to the X570 (Price wise) if they had that option.

It's sneaky, maybe I'm cynical, to have the lower end release offset from the higher end.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The only disappointment for me has been the B550. I don't know who is to blame for this but the B550 chipset should have been available for people along with the 3000 Series at the same time as the X570, as a fully supported less enthusiast based alternative.

For me that's the only reason the B450 was made compatible..... but people would have purchased the B550 as an alternative to the X570 (Price wise) if they had that option.

It's sneaky, maybe I'm cynical, to have the lower end release offset from the higher end.
That's a fair point, hadn't considered that.