AMD 5800x3D CPU first benchmarks

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So we have the first benchmarks coming in for the 5800x3D.

As we know, this is the same chip as the 5800x just downclocked and then with ludicrous amounts of Level 3 Cache bolted on.

The benefits here really specifically apply to gaming, it's not an across the board improvement, games specifically generally appreciate level 3 cache, so rendering or scientific processes aren't going to benefit the same.

But first leaks are putting it about 15% over the 12900ks, but pricewise we're looking at around £400 ($449) for the 5800x3D vs £750 for the 12900ks, so it's a pretty major difference not just on the cpu, but on motherboards, psu requirements, cooling etc etc, so the whole system is going to cost significantly less.

The official release date is 20th April for this chip.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
For those who are thinking "why are they running benchmarks at 1080p and 720p when most people are above that", it's that the lower resolution you go, the more CPU heavy the gaming load becomes. As you go up to 4k, the CPU starts to make very little difference, and you'll find most CPU's perform around the same because the load is shifted more on the GPU.

These top end "gaming" cpu's are more beneficial for competitive players who will usually lower resolution to 720p and graphics settings to absolute lowest, but play on 360Hz monitor.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Just another note, this CPU is really kind of a public Beta test for AMD to verify the performance of this 3d Cache and gain some real world perspective on the optimal amounts to apply to cpu's.

Their upcoming Ryzen 7000 CPU's due out around September / October this year aside from being a whole new architecture on a new node, are going to feature this 3D Cache also.

If you're hugely in the need for a system now, this is a good processor to consider if it's purely a gaming rig, but if at all possible, this is really the tail end of both Intel's and AMD's current gen CPU's, plus the current gen GPU's (which are also set to be released around September). Now is a really bad time to buy a system for gaming unless you absolutely have to.

As with any pre release leak, take anything with a pinch of salt, wait for verified 3rd party testing to be certain.

Last edited:

JUNI0R

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
this is really the tail end of both Intel's and AMD's current gen CPU's
Could you explain this? I understand for AMD as Ryzen 5000 is practically EOL and we're expecting something within the coming months but Intel's 13th gen is still probably 7 months away meaning we've still got more than half the product life cycle left, doesn't sound very tail end to me.

Excitied for the 5800X3D but I'll reserve judgement for now. If it takes top spot I just hope it's a bit more power efficent than the 900KS 😂

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Could you explain this? I understand for AMD as Ryzen 5000 is practically EOL and we're expecting something within the coming months but Intel's 13th gen is still probably 7 months away meaning we've still got more than half the product life cycle left, doesn't sound very tail end to me.
If Intel 12900KS is 15% less performant than the 5800x3D which is simply a same gen iterative update (same as the 12900ks is an iterative update of the 12900k), imagine how far behind 12th gen is gonna be when 6000 AMD release (which are set to be around 25% improvement in IPC over 5800x3D through the node upgrade.

Unless Intel cut the price of 12th Gen in half (which they've proven for years now that they won't), they can't remain competitive, when you're talking 30% (being generous to Intel) lower performance at the same pricepoint, it's only fanboys who are going to still buy Intel before 13th gen.

Last edited:

Tron1982

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
So we have the first benchmarks coming in for the 5800x3D.

As we know, this is the same chip as the 5800x just downclocked and then with ludicrous amounts of Level 3 Cache bolted on.

The benefits here really specifically apply to gaming, it's not an across the board improvement, games specifically generally appreciate level 3 cache, so rendering or scientific processes aren't going to benefit the same.

But first leaks are putting it about 15% over the 12900ks, but pricewise we're looking at around £400 ($449) for the 5800x3D vs £750 for the 12900ks, so it's a pretty major difference not just on the cpu, but on motherboards, psu requirements, cooling etc etc, so the whole system is going to cost significantly less.

The official release date is 20th April for this chip.
oh !
wonderfull !
at least, i know that my sis will be able to upgrade in the futur their respective destian with something similar (better) to a intel 12th gen :D

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
If Intel 12900KS is 15% less performant than the 5800x3D which is simply a same gen iterative update (same as the 12900ks is an iterative update of the 12900k), imagine how far behind 12th gen is gonna be when 6000 AMD release (which are set to be around 25% improvement over 5800x3D through the node upgrade.

Unless Intel cut the price of 12th Gen in half (which they've proven for years now that they won't), they can't remain competitive, when you're talking 30% (being generous to Intel) lower performance at the same pricepoint, it's only fanboys who are going to still buy Intel before 13th gen.
Just additionally, remember the 5800x is a lower tier than the 12900k / ks, the equivalent tier cpu is the 5900x.

So AMD's lower tier are beating intel by 15% at almost half the price.

It's basic maths.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Just some further random though processes on this.

With Intel 12th Gen, there was so much hype as to what a great achievement it was for Intel and when you factored it against 11th Gen, that was relatively accurate. IMHO though, they should have been compared to 10th Gen which was their previously best performing series, and that narrows the gains quite a bit.

Also, 12th Gen was an entirely new architecture which SHOULD have bought the usual expected 25% IPC gains. It didn't. It was around 20%.

Also 13th Gen is not any kind of new architecture, it's an iterative upgrade over 12th Gen which means IPC remains the same, thermal and power properties remain exactly the same. It means all they have under their sleeves is adding more cores, and attempting higher frequencies. There's nothing more they can do. What we're hearing is that they're going to be bolting on more e cores, but this has zero impact on gaming performance, and as we know from the 12900k vs 12700k, it hugely ups thermals and power.

What we know with the 12900k and 12900ks is that these chips are already at their thermal and power ceilings, the KS offered almost no (5%) improvement and even in some scenarios had lower performance over the 12900k despite the pretty significantly higher boost clocks. Also any mention of boost clocks with Intel these days is unachievable on most systems due to thermal restrictions.

So the AMD 5800x which was released in November 2020 with an iterative update outperforms a brand new iterative updated CPU that was initially released in January 2022 over one year later by 15%. That's not a good look for Intel.

We're already getting a lot of reports of 12th Gen CPU IHS warping which they thinned out significantly to try to optimise heat transfer due to the insane thermal properties. This means that the cooler plate is not making sufficient contact with the CPU and results in overheating. For those in the know, this can be counteracted by repasting the CPU and in extreme cases having to apply shims under the cooler heat plate. But as we're all well aware, the general market doesn't have a clue if something is overheating until the PC dies.

Intel in their usual air of superiority have just said "this is expected", in my 20 years of building pc's, I've never ever known this to happen before:

But these reports if you take it that they're all by early adopters are on systems that have only been running since November, so that's 5 months usage. These systems have 7 years to go in a normal lifetime, so this warping is certain to get worse over time.

I envisage we'll be seeing a lot of early deaths on Intel 12th Gen either through CPU failure, or motherboard failure on the higher end CPU's (12900k and 12900ks) where the VRM stages have burnt out.

Furthermore, on 13th Gen, you could say that Skylake proved how capable Intel are of maintaining iterative updates. BUT, that's factoring in that Intel were the forerunner at that time, and held back capabilities for years because AMD just had nothing even close to competing. That's no longer the case. Intel are the underdog playing catch up and have already had to overreach with the 12900ks to attempt to remain relevant even against the 5800x3D. Intel could have released the 10th gen chips in 2015, it was exactly the same CPU as their 5th gen.

It's not just this generation where I don't think Intel achieved enough when they needed to, it's the upcoming 13th Gen as well, I don't see how they're going to gain the 40% improvement they're likely going to need to catch up to Ryzen 7000. My expectation is that Intel 13th Gen will be 15% slower than AMD 7000 series. Remember also that Intel have delayed 13th Gen by 6 months (they were set to release alongside AMD 7000) because they know they aren't up to par with what we're expecting of AMD 7000.

This is all on the understanding that AMD don't pull an Intel and only release reduced performing 7000 CPU's to maximise profit and keep the full performing chips for a later iterative update. That's entirely possible, AMD are no saints and their recent low tier CPU and GPU releases have quite frankly been offensive. It may well be that having got Intel in their place, we'll now need to do the same with AMD.

Last edited:

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Hear hear on all of that.

The last paragraph is my concern also as I have my eye on the 7000 series for my next build.

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Hear hear on all of that.

The last paragraph is my concern also as I have my eye on the 7000 series for my next build.
Yeah that's always the risk mate, at the end of the day the new 7000 series are going to be the cream of the crop from all the whispers we're hearing and whether or not they hold back they will still be the best option if the rumours are true. Sure frustrating from consumer stand point but that's the market unfortunately

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
(This is particularly promising, I think, for Ryzen 7000: if 3D cache makes such a difference on the current generation, think how good Zen 4 should be...)

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I'm guessing from that 2nd video (the LTT one) that it doesn't run any cooler than the standard 5800X ;)

Pity I upgraded to the 5800X to speed up my build when the 5600X was out of stock...otherwise it would be been a good value upgrade option.

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I'm guessing from that 2nd video (the LTT one) that it doesn't run any cooler than the standard 5800X ;)

Pity I upgraded to the 5800X to speed up my build when the 5600X was out of stock...otherwise it would be been a good value upgrade option.
I understand that thermals are one of the problems AMD had to overcome with the 3D cache thing, as there's now a layer of cache between the cores and the IHS, so I don't think it's terribly surprising.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I understand that thermals are one of the problems AMD had to overcome with the 3D cache thing, as there's now a layer of cache between the cores and the IHS, so I don't think it's terribly surprising.
This is gonna be a big hurdle for both AMD and Intel (as Intel are adopting 3d VCache on 13th Gen).

It's going to be interesting how they go about it.

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
This is gonna be a big hurdle for both AMD and Intel (as Intel are adopting 3d VCache on 13th Gen).

It's going to be interesting how they go about it.
Really? I've read that they're looking at increasing cache dramatically but not that they were looking at a similar 3D thing.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I'm seeing early reports that Intel 13th Gen is going to be aiming for 5.8GHz on the high end chips.

That's just insane!

Anyone remember the days where 5GHz was the magical ceiling that no processor would ever be able to go beyond?

Last edited:

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I'm seeing early reports that Intel 13th Gen is going to be aiming for 5.8GHz on the high end chips.

That's just insane!

Anyone remember the days where 5GHz was the magical ceiling that no processor would ever be able to go beyond?

If they're on the same process as 12th gen, one presumes they may be, shall we say, a little on the toasty side...

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
If they're on the same process as 12th gen, one presumes they may be, shall we say, a little on the toasty side...
It's the power requirements also, if we judge by the difference from the 12700k to the 12900k which just added a few e cores.

It's intel though, I'm sceptical but there's a reason they have as much money in the bank as they do.

It's gonna be interesting to say the least.