AMD 7970 graphics card, anyone bought one?

JimmyDazzler79

Bronze Level Poster
If anyone is using this card could they please comment on performance?

What driver you use?
Have u updated to new drivers?
Any show stopping issues?

This would be very helpful.

ryafre496

Bronze Level Poster
im in the process imust admit. upgrading from a 6990m.
the performance from what ive seen is unreal. i just am unsure whether to go through pcs or purchase one and have a go at installing it myself as it saves a bit of money

TranceCommunity

Plays anything. Simple as that. Most games dont move off 60FPS with Vsync enabled. Everything ultra quality.

Never had a problem except one when i couldnt figure out how to switch between HD 4000 and 7970m. I.E turn off to save battery. That was my own fault.

Windows 8 installed and running 100% now.

Unreal is the right word. Buy it.

ryafre496

Bronze Level Poster
is it really that good? i know it may play most things now but im hoping for far cry 3 to run well and crysis 3. you proper get me drooling over it....

TranceCommunity

Its F**king insane to be honest.

Crysis 2 Ultra Quality @ a smooth 60FPS with Vsync enabled. best graphics ive ever seen.

Only an idiot games developer would make a game that the best laptop GPU in the world now cant handle. Crysis 3 will work fine.

JimmyDazzler79

Bronze Level Poster
Are you using the Driver supplied with the machine? Or did you update to AMD 12.11 to fix Enduro issue?

To be honest i keep holding back on ordering as i want to order the 7970m but the stuff i read about the drivers never fills me with confidence.

ryafre496

Bronze Level Poster
the 12.11 driver is meant to be a massive step in the right direction from notebook forums. im gonna order mine now i have to. makes my 6990m look useless lol

TranceCommunity

Im on 12.11 and windows 8.

heres the thing with the enduro. I just had to basically open up the AMD control panel and browse to the exe file for any game. Then tell AMD i want high performance on that game. It will then use the 7970m instead of HD 4000.

Since 12.11 i havent had to do that as it just picks it up automatically.

But the thing is aswell that that wasnt a big deal. Hardly the end of the world having to minimise a game and click on high performance (only once when a new game is installed). No way in hell would it would turn me off buying it.

Only little thing that is slightly wrong now is when doing the windows experience index it uses the HD 4000 and reduces the score. Couldnt be bothered looking for a solution. I assume its just a matter of finding the exe file for it but have no clue where it is. No big deal. games are 100% and battery is brilliant as power only kicks in when on a Game.

Last edited:

JimmyDazzler79

Bronze Level Poster
Cause i keep reading about people having to delete the intel drivers and the clevo ones before installing 12.11. I am not sure i would know how to do this

Do you have the link to the latest 12.11 drivers?

ryafre496

Bronze Level Poster
i only ever delete amd drivers when im updating my 6990m. i follow these steps
1. uninstall Catalyst control center
2. reboot into safe mode
3. run driver sweeper and get rid of anything amd wise after the scan has complete.
4. reboot laptop normally and install drivers.
never failed before

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

this is where i got drivers run. not sure on beta drivers. sorry

ryafre496

Bronze Level Poster
thats just what i do use to hear stories of old drivers causing problems, maybe not so much nowadays but i just got stuck in that routine.
also ive ordered my 7970m... after what you said earlier i cannot wait.