AMD Bulldozer

MoshiMoshi

Silver Level Poster
http://gizmodo.com/5620423/amd-announces-8+core-bulldozer-cpu

AMD officials say Bulldozer is being targeted at servers and performance desktop machines. The good news is that Bulldozer will be drop-in compatible with most current high-end servers. The bad news is that it won't be compatible with existing AM3 boards. Instead, AMD says it will introduce a new AM3+ socket. These sockets will be backward compatible with older chips so you could drop a Phenom II X6 in it. According to AMD, Bulldozer will be built on a new 32nm process at Global Foundries.

So much for a drop-in upgrade :(

PaulH

Bright Spark
Ill bet you will still be able to just drop them into am3 boards, look at the new processors, all it took was a BIOS flash, I dont think AMD are as silly as intel where they make a new chip and it has to be a new board you get 99% of the time.

Just got to wait for a full proper answer though.

MoshiMoshi

Silver Level Poster
Naw mate... if sites such as Gizmodo and the like actually report that Bulldozer cores will not be compatible with AM3 sockets... chances are they might be true.

Bulldozer IS a new build from the ground up.

There's still time till Bulldozer actually hits the market so we've still got some room to wait and see what happens.

Darko

so AMD is about to release new 8-core cpu. SO my question is, buying 1090T is more future-proof than i7-930 right? but again I7 is slighty better than AMD. whats ur opinion?:)

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
The new AMD requires a new motherboard. So not future-proof buying a 1090T. On the flipside Intel will launch Sandy Bridge by the end of this year, according to WikiPedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandy_Bridge_(microarchitecture)

The moral of the story is nothing in the world of computers is future-proof. Buy what you like now, don't worry too much about the future. :D

Darko

so i7 gets my vote then :) well, there are no games using more than 4 cores nowdays. So, whats the point to buy that bulldozer thing? video editing etc?

MoshiMoshi

Silver Level Poster
I'm going back to AMD meself. Buying computers is like buying cameras lol... just squeeze those eyes shut and get what you want. Then shut up about it and not say a word for the next 5 years.

Or in the case of a PC, for the next 1-2years.

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
"Late this year" is all we have at the moment, but quite often the release can be put back, so I would expect stock to start flowing through in Q1 2011.