AMD PHENOM II X6 1090T with ASUS® M4N98TD EVO: DDR3, 2-Way SLI, SATA 3.0GB/s

sucmnsee

AMD PHENOM II X6 1090T with ASUS® M4N98TD EVO: DDR3, 2-Way SLI, SATA 3.0GB/s and 4GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz (2 x 2GB KIT)
SUPER QUIET 22dBA TRIPLE COPPER HEATPIPE CPU COOLER

from a noob point of view, this things gonna be playing 1080p's, converting mkv's, unpacking rar's, browsing all at the same time, and probably a bit of gaming on its own (gtx460)(ssd)(haf x full tower)

Is overclocking it going to be a good idea? I'm I safer leaving it stock?

as always, thanks for the time

Gishank

Bright Spark
There's no real reason to overclock, the processors base clocks can handle those tasks just fine. Besides, from what I've read the CPU cooler you have selected isn't too great when it comes to cooling an overclocked CPU.

sucmnsee

There's no real reason to overclock, the processors base clocks can handle those tasks just fine. Besides, from what I've read the CPU cooler you have selected isn't too great when it comes to cooling an overclocked CPU.

thanks Gishank. So is the cooler going to be enough for a reasonably warm room? Or should I mod it?

Phoenix

Prolific Poster
The standard heatsink supplied with all of the CPU's sold here will be fine for stock clock speeds and unless your ambeint room temperature is like 30+*C there shouldn't be any problems.

Nidanal

If you're going to overclock it at all, invest in some better cooling. If you're planning to multi task all of the above with any processor it's going to raise the temperature.

Have a look at getting the Titan cooler. It may be a bit bulky and a little extra cash, but it'll do the job. Also, the motherboard you've selected comes with some great software from Asus that will raise and lower the fan speed of your CPU cooler relative to the temperature, which is great when the temperature is low as you won't hear a thing. You can even make your own cooling parameters in a custom profile.

As far as I'm concerned you can never cool the computer too much. Hope this has helped.