AMD Radeon HD 6970 Notebook Graphics card now available!

Midonsmyr

Surprised nobody has commented yet.

This is a brilliant addition, really powerful graphics card placed between the 460m and the 485m in terms of price. Has allowed me to build a far better spec for my next laptop than a few weeks ago. Glad I waited.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
i dont see why youd want a gaming laptop, other than perhaps you are literally always on the move, but thats what ipads, psp's, ds' and ipods are for

Midonsmyr

Wozza365 - I use my laptop for work, and I play games. Now I fully realise that I can get a desktop solution, and it would be cheaper. However;

I'd also then be spending money on a laptop, reducing the savings I would be making
I'd have two computers with documents, bookmarks, and other data spread across them (which would be a fuss to sync)
A desktop isn't very portable, I can't sit on the sofa with it, nor can I take it to a friend's house to play games on

In my situation a gaming laptop is fantastic, I can do everything all on one portable machine. This graphics card is a nice mid-level compromise between the other two cards on this chassis, I'm sure it will be very popular.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
iPads do everything like that though... along with its other rivals... and an external hard drive would solve your problem of files etc

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Laptops and iPads do rather fill a different role, and also appeal to a different audience.

I think its rather sweeping to say you dont get gaming laptops, as they are clearly rather popular (see '000's of forum posts to start with).

I will always prefer a desktop, but thats just me, however I can understand why people would want a gaming laptop. As Midon says there, it's likely someone only computer, and if that is needed for work etc too, compromise is made, and thus, the gaming laptop is born :D

Midonsmyr

Wozza365, iPads are becoming a very robust gaming platform I admit, but I just can't play the games I have on them. It doesn't support them or even have the graphical and processor power that is needed to run them in the first place. So I need a proper machine, like a desktop or laptop.

DeadEyeDuk, the only thing I miss about desktops is building them, that was fun. Otherwise I still have my two monitors and nice spe3akers and keyboards and mouse from my desktop setup so I can dock my laptop in as it where and pretend I have a desktop when I want to.

Flucky

iPads do everything like that though... along with its other rivals... and an external hard drive would solve your problem of files etc

Try playing CSS, BFBC2, WoW, Guild Wars, any game really, on the iPad/PSP/NDS/iPod