AMD RDNA2 6000 series GPUs

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
That's what I'm expecting - I fully expect the 6000 series will sell out as quickly as the 3000 series did in September. The difference is that AMD will start to get new stock out in a week or two, while Nvidia didn't appear to have any new stock for nearly a month after the initial launch day.
In Lisa Su we trust 👍

Derngek

Silver Level Poster
That's what I'm expecting - I fully expect the 6000 series will sell out as quickly as the 3000 series did in September. The difference is that AMD will start to get new stock out in a week or two, while Nvidia didn't appear to have any new stock for nearly a month after the initial launch day.
I hope so. I heard the AIB ones will come out a week after the reference rx6800/xt launches. So hope they restock fast after launch. I spoke to the sales team today and he said I'm in build queue no 1776 and they are still waiting on supplies of 5900x cpu to arrive and they have no news of the 6800/xt launch this Wed. I guess it will be a sharp 2pm amend for 6800xt on launch day.

On the bright side, maybe the Asus crosshair dark hero may be available to choose on the amendment page by the time the CPU/GPU be available for the PC build.

Last edited:

flux

Out of interest, has anyone noticed a regular time in which PCS updates it's component lists? Is it usually a dead on the stroke of midnight or midday affair?

Currently deciding on whether I need to stock up on energy drinks and attempt to stay awake into the early hours. :p

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Out of interest, has anyone noticed a regular time in which PCS updates it's component lists? Is it usually a dead on the stroke of midnight or midday affair?

Currently deciding on whether I need to stock up on energy drinks and attempt to stay awake into the early hours. :p
Just IV some red bull / red devil / relentless / monster / mountain dew for the next 48 hours...that should cover you.

As long as it appears between 6am and 2am then I'll see it - otherwise I'll take my beauty sleep instead (although that hasn't worked for 40-odd years, so why should it now)

Derngek

Silver Level Poster

Currently deciding on whether I need to stock up on energy drinks and attempt to stay awake into the early hours.
I just asked on the online chat it should be available tomorrow from 2pm

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
I just asked on the online chat it should be available tomorrow from 2pm
I had a feeling that'd be the case. It was both nice (and frustrating) that the 3000 series GPUs were in the configurator a week or so before launch, so you could see them, but not add them to an order. I guess there's little point in the 6000 series actually being added until it's possible to buy them.

Derngek

Silver Level Poster
I had a feeling that'd be the case. It was both nice (and frustrating) that the 3000 series GPUs were in the configurator a week or so before launch, so you could see them, but not add them to an order. I guess there's little point in the 6000 series actually being added until it's possible to buy them.
The odd thing is that the other online PC webstores are not revealing anything on RDNA2 GPU. And AMD doesn't seem to allow the tech tubers to do any benchmarks or testing on them. I think I'll ask tomorrow to see A.I.B which cards PCS will likely to stock up. Either way the reference card looks really well built and I expect it will be the same for the A.I.B ones too.

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
The odd thing is that the other online PC webstores are not revealing anything on RDNA2 GPU. And AMD doesn't seem to allow the tech tubers to do any benchmarks or testing on them. I think I'll ask tomorrow to see A.I.B which cards PCS will likely to stock up. Either way the reference card looks really well built and I expect it will be the same for the A.I.B ones too.
Some techtubers currently have the cards and are testing/benchmarking them, but I think AMD has asked that they don't publish their results until tomorrow. I posted yesterday that JayzTwoCents had received their test 6800 and 6800XT and did a little unboxing video.

I read somewhere that AIBs are releasing next week, so it's possible that PCS won't be 100% sure which cards they'll get until then. I'd love a reference 6800XT if PCS happen to be lucky enough to grab one or two!

Derngek

Silver Level Poster

I'm glad that PCS website did not crash. As I'm sure there were many of us hitting the amend buttons seconds after 2pm

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
So the reviews basically say:
  • Team Green (RTX3080)
    • if 4k gaming is more important than 1440p gaming​
    • if you want decent FPS with Ray Tracing​
    • if you want to take advantage of DLSS​
    • if you don't mind waiting an indefinite time for your card​
  • Team Red (6800XT)
    • if 1440p gaming is more important than 4k gaming​
    • if you actually want a card this year (possibly as early as 25-Nov)​
    • if you want to save a few £££​
  • Either
    • if you're waiting until next year to buy anyway
Unfortunately the choice may simply come down to what games you play, which has the edge at your chosen resolution, and which one you can get your hands on.

It also goes without saying - but I'll say it anyway - the AMD-optimised/sponsored titles do well with the AMD cards, and the Ndivida-optimised/sponsored titles do well with the Nvidia cards.

BTW, there were some examples where the 6800XT in ray tracing @ 4k was delivering 2-6 times worse FPS (big number for DLSS that AMD doesn't do yet, but still half the speed of the 3080 without DLSS).

ETA, some of the extreme performance issues in testing have been blamed on bugs that are in the process of being fixed...but no ETA of course (probably around the time of the RTX3080 stock being available or the RTX4080 being released).

1080p.jpg

1440p.jpg

2160p.jpg

Last edited:

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
I'm entirely "meh" about raytracing for the moment as I said a couple of pages back in this thread. The 6800XT's 4k performance in the likes of Borderlands 3 (I enjoy single player loot shooters like that!) as shown in the AMD launch event was backed up by JaysTwoCents (slowly working through reviews on Youtube at the moment), so I'm happy with my decision to switch my order.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
@TonyCarter Pretty sure that the AMD one should be amended to "Buy if you actually want a card....before 2030" given the issues NVIDIA are having :ROFLMAO:
I would have, but we don't know whether AMD's supply chain is going to perform any better.

I'll give it a month before I pull a strop and cancel the lot in favour of a maxed out MacMini M1 (which will be useless for gaming) and an Xbox Series X.

🤯

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
As Jay and a few other techtubers have said, AMD seem to have done a paper/vapour launch. It's pretty much upto the AIBs to show next week that it won't remain that way. Still kinda hopeful, but it is what it is.

I'd be tempted to sell my soul in order to guarantee a delivery in 2020, but as I'm part-ginger, I'm not sure I even have a soul, which makes selling it a bit tricky. Still, I'm not 100% sold that the 6800XT or 3080 exist either. 🤔

longdog42

Bronze Level Poster
Any possible ETA on AIB 6800/XT cards? Not asking for any confirmed information, just maybe some historical insight, such as when AIBs are usually available on PCS?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Any possible ETA on AIB 6800/XT cards? Not asking for any confirmed information, just maybe some historical insight, such as when AIBs are usually available on PCS?
Cards are in stock on release day as PCS are an NVidia and AMD (and Intel) partner.