AMD RDNA2 6000 series GPUs

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I know you're both pretty good at finding out what people are looking for and providing an appropriate spec along those lines.

Ray tracing is still a new technology that a relatively small (albeit growing) number of games are properly utilising *ahem* Cyberpunk. For me personally, I'd take good ol' rasterisation done particularly well over ray tracing, at least until RT is far more common. That as much as anything is why I'm thinking AMD would be a better 4k pick for me at the moment. When I come to look at upgrading my GPU next time (RDNA4 maybe?!), RT will be much more common and will probably be much more prominent in my thoughts. When that time comes, I'll be sure to let you know what I'm looking for and I'm sure you'll advise me well.
Yeah, fully agree. Ray Tracing is a serious step up when done properly, but it's still such a load hogger that it's not quite an everyday option yet for me. I would still love an RTX2080 so I could try full ray tracing at 4k.

Interstingly, one of my favorite recent games, Observer (voice acted by Rutger Hauer) has just been remastered in a new graphics engine and they added Ray Tracing and remoddelled everything. I've pre ordered as they were doing a deal for £4 for anyone with the original game on Epic Store which was just too good to miss out on. It was only released in 2017 although has a slightly dated look to it. It's well worth a look if you want something that isn't too juicy and good gameplay, it's a cyberpunk-esque sort of game, you play as a private detective.

They're currently doing a sale on Steam for 10% off, so it's only just over £20

I do think that this will become more common, with devs releasing the same game, just vamped up to include some ray tracing.

But I fully expect AMD's support of Ray Tracing to improve through driver updates, they're very known for improving performance with better optimised updates after release on both CPU's and GPU's.

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
Interestingly, one of my favorite recent games, Observer (voice acted by Rutger Hauer) has just been remastered in a new graphics engine and they added Ray Tracing and remoddelled everything. I've pre ordered as they were doing a deal for £4 for anyone with the original game on Epic Store which was just too good to miss out on. It was only released in 2017 although has a slightly dated look to it. It's well worth a look if you want something that isn't too juicy and good gameplay, it's a cyberpunk-esque sort of game, you play as a private detective.

They're currently doing a sale on Steam for 10% off, so it's only just over £20

As a huge fan of the cyberpunk subgenre in sci-fi, I'm surprised that I'd not come across Observer before. Will definitely look into it, although I'll probably wait for the remaster, which means I'm probably waiting for the new desktop. Thanks for the recommendation.

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
RAGE MODE!!!! What a great name!
It really is. Gave me a good chuckle. :LOL:

Speaking of chuckles, I'm obviously joking about selling a kidney for this, but waiting until December for the 6900XT is a little too close to Christmas for my liking, especially when relying on build times. I'm tempted to add in the 5900X next week, remove the 3080 so the rest of the rig is sent out to me when it's my build turn, and then requesting an "upgrade" to 6900XT and fitting it myself. Or maybe just going for the 6800XT - I don't like decisions!!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
It really is. Gave me a good chuckle. :LOL:

Speaking of chuckles, I'm obviously joking about selling a kidney for this, but waiting until December for the 6900XT is a little too close to Christmas for my liking, especially when relying on build times. I'm tempted to add in the 5900X next week, remove the 3080 so the rest of the rig is sent out to me when it's my build turn, and then requesting an "upgrade" to 6900XT and fitting it myself. Or maybe just going for the 6800XT - I don't like decisions!!
Quite frankly, it’s hasn’t been this difficult for quite literally over a decade!

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
For gaming the 6800XT is a no brainer, I think the 6900XT is a waste of cash to be honest. I'm really glad I'm holding off till next year for a new card (or maybe PC). By then every possible comparison will have been done 😂

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
For gaming the 6800XT is a no brainer, I think the 6900XT is a waste of cash to be honest. I'm really glad I'm holding off till next year for a new card (or maybe PC). By then every possible comparison will have been done 😂
Yeah, was playing around with the figures last night and as much as I'd love the 6900XT for top, top 4k performance, I'd be massively over paying when the 6800XT would deliver solid 4k performance, at least as far as AMD's handpicked examples go. Changed my "Dispatch after..."date to the 20th so I can add in the 5900X next week and the 6800XT once that releases. Then it's a hope I can get a delivery before the end of the year, but I suspect not.

Gavras

Master Poster
As long as AMD manage the supply chain side better than Nvidia, they should do okay.

Also, if they don’t have to release driver firmware to throttle the card in order to prevent them dying, would be a bonus.

That must be a concern for 3080/3090 owners, knowing a future driver release has the potential to kill their card.

hobnobs

Gold Level Poster
Personally I'm not hyped either way until we see actual reviews, supply chain and drivers.

I'm still planning on getting a 3080 once they are more available.... however I will be watching closely.
A PCS employee can't even get a 3080. The apocalypse is truly here :eek:

D

Deleted member 103489

Will be interesting to see whether AMD will do something about bots,scalpers

but if I was to have guess probably not a lot

Derngek

Silver Level Poster
Will we likely get AMD version or aftermarket versions of rx6800 and rx6800xt when it releases on Nov 18th? And if so which brand would it likely to be? Please let there be Asus Strix option available by then.