AMD RDNA2 6000 series GPUs

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So we have a confirmed announcement date of 28th October for “Big Navi“ 6000 series GPUs.

early things to consider:

Both Xbox and PlayStation GPUs are AMD, and we know that the Xbox series X is roughly on par with the RTX2080 Super.

We know that the RTX3070 is a little more power than the 2080ti.

There is NO WAY that AMD would put their top power card into the Xbox, they’ll undoubtedly have something more powerful at the top tier.

We know that RDNA2 is an entirely new design from the ground up, on a new die on 7nm process. Will they see the same performance and power leap that they saw with Ryzen moving to 7nm?

Based on that, my guess is they’ll beat the 3070 definitely.

But can they threaten the 3080 or even the 3090? And at what power consumption? AMD have historically required much more power to get equal results as nvidia.

But, it would be foolish to discount AMD in this space so early on. Sure nvidia have knocked the ball out of the park with regards to pricing and power leap, but given AMDs general performance uptick over the last 2 years, I don’t doubt they’ve got something interesting ready.

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So some people in fortnight came across a custom map that AMD had made which showed off the upcoming cooler design... in some ways quite clever, but everyones been left a bit concerned as this is such a minor showcase, and people are concerned that they're just leaving it too late to compete with the about to be released nVidia GPU's:

AMD_Radeon_RX_6000_Series_Graphics_Card.jpg

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Anyone expecting AMD to threaten the RTX 3090?

This is worth watching, this is Coreteks who has a lot of inside sources, he goes extremely in depth and it can be a little overwhelming, but he's been extremely accurate in a lot of his analysis over the years and predicted quite a few releases:

Now AMD have been much better than anyone keeping their leaks under wraps so this is pure guesswork, but it comes from someone who knows an awful lot of inside information.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
It's like a ghost town on leaks. I only just spotted this thread too.

Not sure how they are managing to keep it under wraps but my guess is that it's probably down to the fact that "leaks" are actually pre-determined for the most part and when you want something kept quiet legitimately.... you can :D

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
It's like a ghost town on leaks. I only just spotted this thread too.

Not sure how they are managing to keep it under wraps but my guess is that it's probably down to the fact that "leaks" are actually pre-determined for the most part and when you want something kept quiet legitimately.... you can :D
It's interesting you say that as Apple are usually pretty tight nit, but this year particularly it's been leak after leak. They've lost a lot of Mac people to the surface line and generally to homebrew PC's since Ryzen 3000, I've always wondered if those were intentional leaks to drum up much needed hype to try and retain some of the leapers.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
It's interesting you say that as Apple are usually pretty tight nit, but this year particularly it's been leak after leak. They've lost a lot of Mac people to the surface line and generally to homebrew PC's since Ryzen 3000, I've always wondered if those were intentional leaks to drum up much needed hype to try and retain some of the leapers.

Never know for sure I guess but it's something that I always wonder.

You want your product on the front page of everything that you can get. It's a fine balance though as you don't want to over-saturate the hype.

D

Deleted member 41971

interesting rumors

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
Having decided that I'm aiming for high-end 4K gaming over high-end 1440 gaming, I'm seeing rumours that "Big Navi" might be a better option for 4K. Depending on what's said on the 28th, I could potentially be removing the 3080 from my order, shipping the rig without a graphics card and then be looking to get my hands on a 6000 series GPU when they release mid-Novemberish instead. I'll have a week or so between the reveal event and 5900X release date to make my decision once and for all. 🤔

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
Was quite interested to watch this -
- short version is that RDNA2 6000 series is likely to be competitive with the 3080 series, but that the 3080's raytracing is likely to give them the edge.

Gavras

Master Poster
Looks like more details on new AMD card coming out.

the big thing will be price.

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
Looks like more details on new AMD card coming out.

the big thing will be price.
As I said yesterday in the Ryzen thread that's buried around here somewhere, I'm probably 60/40 in favour of switching my 3080 order to a 6800XT (assuming the price is right and availability is there) as it's starting to make a lot of sense to me. The raytracing won't be quite as good as with the 3080, but considering it's RDNA2 in the consoles, the raytracing won't exactly be bad - I've seen suggestions RT performance will be somewhere around 2080Ti levels which was decent enough.

Derngek

Silver Level Poster
Having decided that I'm aiming for high-end 4K gaming over high-end 1440 gaming, I'm seeing rumours that "Big Navi" might be a better option for 4K. Depending on what's said on the 28th, I could potentially be removing the 3080 from my order, shipping the rig without a graphics card and then be looking to get my hands on a 6000 series GPU when they release mid-Novemberish instead. I'll have a week or so between the reveal event and 5900X release date to make my decision once and for all. 🤔
Hopefully PCS may release the asus 6800xt varient too as part of the selection as I'm sure they will clock theirs a little higher then the AMD version

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So some synthetic benchmarks of the 6800 XT, which is by no means their strongest, obviously PLEASE TAKE WITH A PINCH OF SALT

If these are accurate, and by the fact that the Firestrike Ultra benchmark was done by 3 different sources all giving similar scores, that does look quite promising.

What we're looking at is worse performance than the 3080 at 1080p, then more performance at 4k, but less with full Ray Tracing enabled which is what was expected.

Now as I understand it, there is the 6900XT out there, I wonder if that's going to be another 3090 kind of guise or give actual benefits at 4k gaming:

Last edited:

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
What we're looking at is worse performance than the 3080 at 1080p, then more performance at 4k, but less with full Ray Tracing enabled which is what was expected.

Now as I understand it, there is the 6900XT out there, I wonder if that's going to be another 3090 kind of guise or give actual benefits at 4k gaming:
As someone with a build on order with 4k very much in mind, I'm liking the look of what AMD are offering, and as I said the other night, I'm certainly leaning more towards the 6800XT or 6900XT over the 3080 I've ordered. Price and availability could well be clinchers for me given what the various benchmarks seem to be suggesting.

I do have concerns over AMD drivers, but with Lisa Su in charge, I imagine she's more likely to get the driver issues fixed if she hasn't already.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
As someone with a build on order with 4k very much in mind, I'm liking the look of what AMD are offering, and as I said the other night, I'm certainly leaning more towards the 6800XT or 6900XT over the 3080 I've ordered. Price and availability could well be clinchers for me given what the various benchmarks seem to be suggesting.

I do have concerns over AMD drivers, but with Lisa Su in charge, I imagine she's more likely to get the driver issues fixed if she hasn't already.
If they aren’t, I’d bank on her coming round your house and fixing it herself.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine

Yeah, drivers are going to be a big consideration. BUT, they did end up fixing MOST of the 3000 series cards drivers issues. There was something about that series, it seemed to be cursed from the very start.

I don't think Lisa would allow such an important hardware release without some significant work having gone into the drivers, this is such a monumental release for them in the GPU space, as much as Ryzen is going to be. They have to get this right.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Yeah, drivers are going to be a big consideration. BUT, they did end up fixing MOST of the 3000 series cards drivers issues. There was something about that series, it seemed to be cursed from the very start.

I don't think Lisa would allow such an important hardware release without some significant work having gone into the drivers, this is such a monumental release for them in the GPU space, as much as Ryzen is going to be. They have to get this right.
That is so, so true. They’ve made such big strides with her at the helm, it’s going to be pivotal. And great for us on the forum to be able to subjectively look at both AMD and Nvidia cards when people are configuring a spec. Exciting times 🙂👍

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
That is so, so true. They’ve made such big strides with her at the helm, it’s going to be pivotal. And great for us on the forum to be able to subjectively look at both AMD and Nvidia cards when people are configuring a spec. Exciting times 🙂👍
I know you're both pretty good at finding out what people are looking for and providing an appropriate spec along those lines.

Ray tracing is still a new technology that a relatively small (albeit growing) number of games are properly utilising *ahem* Cyberpunk. For me personally, I'd take good ol' rasterisation done particularly well over ray tracing, at least until RT is far more common. That as much as anything is why I'm thinking AMD would be a better 4k pick for me at the moment. When I come to look at upgrading my GPU next time (RDNA4 maybe?!), RT will be much more common and will probably be much more prominent in my thoughts. When that time comes, I'll be sure to let you know what I'm looking for and I'm sure you'll advise me well.