AMD RX6000 GPU driver compatibility.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I haven’t been keeping up on this and will do some searches, but would love to hear from any of you that have received a build with an AMD GPU.

How are you finding the performance? Have you had any driver instability?

Nothing untoward has cropped up in my tech news feed about driver issues which can only be a good thing. Sounds like they’ve really gotten over the issues with the 5000 series.

AMD mobile GPUs have started hitting the market as well, so I’m very excited to hear how people are finding them generally.

Ash_

Master Poster
My 6700XT runs fantastic at 1440p, strange performance at 1080p though. As in... held a steady 160fps in 1440p, but dropped to as low as 140 and as high as 300 in 1080p - although this was completely unnoticeable.

Derngek

Silver Level Poster
So my 6900xt has been running smoothly with games like cyberpunk 2077, Baldurs gate 3, Red dead 2, deus ex no problems.
Older games like Dark souls, gothic 3 and wasteland 2 runs well with no issues. The only game that I noticed that did not like 1440p was dragons dogma as it suffers a little flicker, but returned to normal once I lowered the screen setting a touch.
It seems the drivers gets regular updates and no real crashes or driver issues so far. Runs quietly and temps are stable during gaming. Overall I am very happy with 6900xt at the moment.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
My 6700XT runs fantastic at 1440p, strange performance at 1080p though. As in... held a steady 160fps in 1440p, but dropped to as low as 140 and as high as 300 in 1080p - although this was completely unnoticeable.
So my 6900xt has been running smoothly with games like cyberpunk 2077, Baldurs gate 3, Red dead 2, deus ex no problems.
Older games like Dark souls, gothic 3 and wasteland 2 runs well with no issues. The only game that I noticed that did not like 1440p was dragons dogma as it suffers a little flicker, but returned to normal once I lowered the screen setting a touch.
It seems the drivers gets regular updates and no real crashes or driver issues so far. Runs quietly and temps are stable during gaming. Overall I am very happy with 6900xt at the moment.
This is exactly what I wanted to hear!

I think generally with this generation of cards, they don't scale as you may expect at 1080p. It really is the case that 1080p is less and less supported, as cards are just overpowered nowadays and the way the memory architecture works, it get's all bottled up at such low resolution. So that doesn't surprise me that much.

I'm so pro AMD at the moment, I think if I were to upgrade my laptop, I would really love an AMD GPU once they're more mainstream, certainly AMD CPU.

For me, it all comes down to RayTracing support. Yes, AMD are behind the curve but this is their first stab at it so that's to be expected. The thing with AMD is though, they're far better at enabling new tech on older generation products where Intel and NVidia wouldn't, so I fully expect RayTracing to significantly improve with future driver updates on the RX6000 series.

Ash_

Master Poster
To be fair... the box does state it is for 1440p gaming, so i can’t be mad at AMD for it. The price you can pick up one of these at retail though... the performance blows the 3070 away. Strangely though, the power cables have to be inserted upside down for some reason
4C992A9D-BB07-409A-9281-919E057D502D.jpeg

Derngek

Silver Level Poster
This is exactly what I wanted to hear!

I think generally with this generation of cards, they don't scale as you may expect at 1080p. It really is the case that 1080p is less and less supported, as cards are just overpowered nowadays and the way the memory architecture works, it get's all bottled up at such low resolution. So that doesn't surprise me that much.

I'm so pro AMD at the moment, I think if I were to upgrade my laptop, I would really love an AMD GPU once they're more mainstream, certainly AMD CPU.

For me, it all comes down to RayTracing support. Yes, AMD are behind the curve but this is their first stab at it so that's to be expected. The thing with AMD is though, they're far better at enabling new tech on older generation products where Intel and NVidia wouldn't, so I fully expect RayTracing to significantly improve with future driver updates on the RX6000 series.
I have been impressed with regular updates to their drivers. When I had my time with gtx1060 updates were hardly existent and there were a few older games I couldnt run on it whiles I can with 6900xt

Ash_

Master Poster
I think if RTX isn’t an interest to people, AMD are easily competing with Nvidia this time. On launch, MSRP put the AMD cards in no mans land i thought, but i’m sure overclockers are selling 3070’s at similar price to 6800XT’s and that should be an easy choice.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I have been impressed with regular updates to their drivers. When I had my time with gtx1060 updates were hardly existent and there were a few older games I couldnt run on it whiles I can with 6900xt
This is again Lisa Su learning from AMD of the past. Back in the day when I last had an AMD GPU which was the Sapphire Radeon HD6950 I think (could have been 6970), there were literally months without any updates at all, so new games weren't supported which was such an utter waste, really put me off AMD at that time.

Lisa has been so hot on the development aspect, she's engaged with social communities like GitHub and other developer communities as well as gaming communities, and actively requests feedback on development and bugs.

Look at the recent B550 / X570 USB instability, they reached out on Reddit and other places to gain direct feedback from everyday users.

Now THAT'S THE WAY you support your customers!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I think if RTX isn’t an interest to people, AMD are easily competing with Nvidia this time. On launch, MSRP put the AMD cards in no mans land i thought, but i’m sure overclockers are selling 3070’s at similar price to 6800XT’s and that should be an easy choice.
I'm heavily interested in RayTracing, that will be the deciding factor on my GPU purchase when it comes to it.

It won't be before July and likely not til September or so that I end up upgrading my gaming PC, so I'm hoping AMD can pull something out of the bag before then.