AMD Ryzen 2 3950x has been benchmarked

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
All you power users / gamers, this thing is going to blow your socks off..... bye bye Intel in every single multi threaded benchmark there is, whilst remaining truly competitive in the gaming levels as well.

This thing absolutely rocks, and most importantly.... THERMALS ARE BETTER THAN LOWER END RYZEN 2's and leave intels burning in the hot ash.

All you people looking at content creation rigs, this has been well worth the wait.

Price is listed around $750, we'll see how that translates to us in the UK / Europe soon.

ryzen_9_3950x_benchmarks_r15.png

blender-1_02b-3950x-640x678.png

index.png

CPUResult.png

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
That's utterly brutal.
It's insane isn't it, I just don't understand how they've got it so well thermally managed at such a low wattage. Truly impressive.

If their upcoming mobile chips have any of the merits of this chip, it's going to be a whole new level of thermals vs performance.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
The hype is real :cool:

Looks like there will be some OC headroom with this too and further updates will only make it better. AMD have really put the cat among the pigeons here. Fantastic!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The hype is real :cool:

Looks like there will be some OC headroom with this too and further updates will only make it better. AMD have really put the cat among the pigeons here. Fantastic!
That's very true, there's already been a BIOS update for Ryzen 2's which improved performance by about 3% by increasing boost clocks.

I'm in love with AMD at the moment, I just sincerely hope they don't do an Intel and decide they can start charging stupid prices just because they're on top. If they stick to their current attitude, they'll do very well indeed.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Saw this last week:

And the Windows 1909 update will identify 'favoured cores', which may boost Ryzen performance without needing the power plan (I guess?).

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Saw this last week:

And the Windows 1909 update will identify 'favoured cores', which may boost Ryzen performance without needing the power plan (I guess?).
Only took a cursory glance, will look at it properly a bit later, but looks very interesting.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I watched it to 5ghz, the magic number :ROFLMAO:

Not seen a summary yet though. Anyone see what they got to at 1.5v?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Synopsis of the XOC marathon:

Managed 5.3 GHz on ALL cores AND THREADS stable. Pretty impressive!

On a closed loop 280mm they managed 4.4GHz all cores.

So really, the very least cooler you want with this chip is the H115i or above to get the max stable all cores OC.

One HELL of a chip!!! Well done AMD!!!

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Further reasons to avoid Intel based on current offerings and ongoing dubious business practices and performance woes:

And some Intel vs AMD comparisons from Ryzen 3 up to TR and Intels HEDT's:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Intel have just taken an absolute pasting.
They could have taken it gracefully and been appreciative of AMD, but their underhand 3rd party embargo lifting on the 10tywhatever-it's-called was just needlessly underhanded. I have zero sympathy for them.

AMD deserve this for the next few years. I really hope their upcoming GPU's close the gap with nVidia as well (although I still appreciate nVidia's offerings in general). To come from sooooo far down for so long and get to where they are now takes some real governance. Lisa Su deserves a god damn medal! It's one thing reigning over a sustained good patch or sustained rise, but going from where they were to here really does take some doing. She's up there with Steve Jobs in my eyes.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
She has a real class to her, along with genuine excitement and passion. It's evident everytime she is showcasing a new product.

AMD have had to absolutely claw their way here, I just hope the company as a whole learns from there post Athlon II days when they completely rested on their laurels and ended up left miles behind.

All then need to do is get their frequency up a bit and they will have the whole market. From now on I think 8 cores is going to be the minimum for a desktop. There isn't much happening over 5Ghz so hitting that magic number I think is key at the bottom end. They have the top end completely wrapped up with the high core counts at good frequencies. Those productivity numbers are insane.

The GPUs still leave a lot to be desired for me. As much as they aren't too far off in the middle of the pack.... their power requirements are insane.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
She has a real class to her, along with genuine excitement and passion. It's evident everytime she is showcasing a new product.

AMD have had to absolutely claw their way here, I just hope the company as a whole learns from there post Athlon II days when they completely rested on their laurels and ended up left miles behind.

All then need to do is get their frequency up a bit and they will have the whole market. From now on I think 8 cores is going to be the minimum for a desktop. There isn't much happening over 5Ghz so hitting that magic number I think is key at the bottom end. They have the top end completely wrapped up with the high core counts at good frequencies. Those productivity numbers are insane.

The GPUs still leave a lot to be desired for me. As much as they aren't too far off in the middle of the pack.... their power requirements are insane.
Yep, couldn't agree more on all counts.

According to Intel's roadmaps, their 7nm counterparts won't arrive until mid to late 2021 and as far as I'm concerned, that's the only time they're going to be able to gain back some lost ground, and that's assuming AMD are on the same architecture at that point, which is unlikely. As you say though, lets just pray that AMD remain focussed over the next 2 years and don't get too big for their boots like intel did with pricing.

If you look at some of the benchmarks of the 3950x, 3960x and 3970x, they're getting close to competing with Intel's 9900KS at 5GHz with their more modest 4.3/4.4 in a lot of power tests, so again, we're seeing much greater IPC starting to happen from AMD.

I'm just so excited for the next year of PC tech. I think it's going to be an absolute stonker!!!

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I think one can be a little hard on AMD's GPUs' power requirements.
power-gaming-average.png
The souped-up 5700 XTs get very thirsty very fast, but the baseline isn't unreasonable. And the 5700 is decent enough:
power-gaming-peak.png

Now granted that's on 7nm vs 12nm, but in absolute terms it's fine for performance per Watt. Hardly Hawaii vs Maxwell anyway :)

There's actually reasonable competition in the mid-high end now.

I'm just so excited for the next year of PC tech. I think it's going to be an absolute stonker!!!
Zen 3 might finally be my long-awaited upgrade from this venerable 3770k. Depends how it stacks up in Fallout 4 (.. :S )

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I don't understand those power graphs. How can the peak be lower than the average? o_O

I would have placed the 5700 XT around the 2070 non-Super mark or possibly the 2060 Super.

Price around £350-400
Power around 220w

RTX 2060 Super is similar money with around 20% less power consumption
RTX 2070 would be similar money with around 10% less power consumption
RTX 2070 Super is around £50 more with similar power consumption but a decent whack more power.

I would never choose the AMD option until the trinity (price/power/performance) averages better. It's just not a good choice for me.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
10% power consumption when talking around 200W is still only 20W... that's a far cry from insane power consumption tbh.

If your favourite games favour the AMD option, or you were going to buy The Outer Worlds for £40 anyway, Navi is a solid choice.

A quick Google Shopping and the cheapest 2070 Super is around £450? And the RX 5700 XT, £350. Which surprised me I must say, I thought it was closer to £50.

Navi may not be a good choice for everyone, but it's certainly an option that should be on the table for many people.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
We'll have to agree to disagree on this then. It's 20% when comparing to the 2060 Super, which is more comparable performance wise. 20% more power usage for zero performance gain is insane IMO. It doesn't make any logical sense, especially when you consider the 7nm technology. It's nonsensical.

The 2060 Super is cheaper, uses less power and has the same performance (plus or minus a few points depending what benches you look at).

The main reason to chose team red has always been value. IMO it's not there. Similar power requirements to a 2070 Super without the performance is not good returns. There would need to be a very specific use to choose the Navi, like you say a particular game.