Amd vs intel / nvidia vs ati

Grim

Nvidia are probably the way to go tbh.

Not to mention they decide to use their influences to get a "performance boost" in/on certain things...or many...

jcuk

Bronze Level Poster
Ive always been amd/nvidia but this new pc i ordered i had the funds to go for the faster intel cpus but i stuck to amd, purely because ive always had them and never had problems, altho i did swap sides and went ati, as im only having a single card i kinda summed up between the two, i chose the ati 5870....fingers crossed lol

LDUK

Master Poster
thats true, but for budget average/high gaming pc's AMd is still a very good way to go

Steve
Any other reason to go AMD?
Ive always been amd/nvidia but this new pc i ordered i had the funds to go for the faster intel cpus but i stuck to amd, purely because ive always had them and never had problems, altho i did swap sides and went ati, as im only having a single card i kinda summed up between the two, i chose the ati 5870....fingers crossed lol
5870 is a great card from my research, so it's a good choice.

Bandred

My first PC was an Amstrad 1640 .. so no choice to make there :) .... (that cost nearly as much, almost 25 years ago, as I've just donated to PCS for my new order.

A couple of upgrades later I ended up with a faulty graphics card and swapped it for an ATI one (I think they were one of the new kids on the block then and, no internet, hence no driver upgrades :) ) I liked that card so stuck with ATI until my last upgrade. No problems with the quality, but driver updates became a pain with the state of ATI's web site.

I bought the Nvidia Geforce 6800XT last build and have found drivers and associated information much easier to access. So the GTX 460 this time around.

As regards CPU, I've usually gone with the best Intel one that I could afford ... I don't think AMD were available when I first started buying a specific build. For my last build, I wanted to go dual core and AMD seemed a better buy. The AMD has been fine, but I use some software that will take full advantage of multi threading, so it's back to Intel this time.

In short, I guess I don't have any strong feelings about either cpu brand, but I would go Nvidia, mainly because it's less frustrating to own.

Meds

I just mix it up on what ever I get my hands on. Had AMD, Intel, ATI, nVidia in the past but my current rig is Intel/ATI!

Quander

I have I would say been more true to Nvidia. Have tried both but one thing I really liked about Nvidia, apart from the fact the are usually top of the performance charts, is the driver configuration, with ATI it comes with multiple parts and justs looks very messy. On Nvdia - Control Panel - 1 file to uninstall, job done. Also had weird driver error problems with ATI as well taking multiple driver clean sweep and re-installing before it came right. Nvidia has never had any problems.

I recently bought a GTX285 OCC BFG and the card by default was unstable and even after several tweaks and mutliple drivers tried still couldnt get it to stable - so for this fact stay a mile away from BFG and also have spoken to others experiencing the same issue.

The card I have now and have had for a while is the XFX GEFORCE 8800GTX- which once my new GTX480 X 2 build comes will change that :) , has been an amazing performer and even now with high end games it is more than capable handling them.

Nvidia FTW - thats my opinion :)

Last edited:

LDUK

Master Poster
I have I would say been more true to Nvidia. Have tried both but one thing I really liked about Nvidia, apart from the fact the are usually top of the performance charts, is the driver configuration, with ATI it comes with multiple parts and justs looks very messy. On Nvdia - Control Panel - 1 file to uninstall, job done. Also had weird driver error problems with ATI as well taking multiple driver clean sweep and re-installing before it came right. Nvidia has never had any problems.

I recently bought a GTX285 OCC BFG and the card by default was unstable and even after several tweaks and mutliple drivers tried still couldnt get it to stable - so for this fact stay a mile away from BFG and also have spoken to others experiencing the same issue.

The card I have now and have had for a while is the XFX GEFORCE 8800GTX- which once my new GTX480 X 2 build comes will change that :) , has been an amazing performer and even now with high end games it is more than capable handling them.

Nvidia FTW - thats my opinion :)

I wish XFX stayed with Nvidia. My 8800GTS is XFX. And I like the card designs XFX did.

Sweeney47

my 8800GTX is XFX had absolutely no issues with it whatsoever... got a cool "I'm Gaming DO NOT DISTURB" door hanger thing with it too :cool:

Gorman

Author Level
Not a clue bud, theres some Palit and Zotac about at the minute that i have seen. I dont get down there much though.