AMD VS Intel

I have always had Intel based computers. I am hearing lot about AMD recently. I am not a gamer but do a little video and photo editing using Adobe Premier elements. I wondered if anyone had views on the AMD Ryzen 5 3600 vs Intel Core i5-9600K. Are there any hidden compatibility or other gotchas with AMD?

Stephen M

Author Level
I cannot say anything about issues with Adobe but have not heard of any and in general AMD are very quick to solve problems these days. When the latest Ryzens appeared there were some issues with Linux distros, all of these were fixed within a week, in some cases an issue reported one day was already fixed two days later.

As Intel now are into the stagnation mode that AMD suffered from for years I would seriously consider looking at AMD as they are way ahead in most/perhaps all areas, although it would be worth checking out some benchmarks but a word of caution here, there are many benchmark sites who seem to produce figures with a random number generator. Afraid I am not up on the best ones but other fora members will be able to point you in the right direction.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
@Stephen M is absolutely correct

Don't use any comparison sites like userbenchmark / cpubenchmark etc etc, they use totally random algorithms to determine a totally meaningless score that has no relevance to real world performance.

AMD vs Intel, basically Intel are now on the backfoot. Whilst Intel have good single core performance, that is very swiftly being outdone by AMD due to their vastly superior IPC (Instructions per clock). When it comes to multicore though, which most applications now utilise, AMD absolutely crushes Intel in every area. Basically, AMD's current 3000 series chips keep up with Intel at the single core, and devastate them in multicore plus at a marked reduced cost for price vs performance.

On top of this, Intel chips are plagued by serious security flaws at the hardware level which aren't found in AMD chips. This affects all Intel chips back to about 2008, including their latest chips. Even though the security flaws were initially found over 2 years ago, Intel has done absolutely nothing to address these in newer designs. A lot of security experts are even suggesting that disabling HyperThreading on Intel is going to be the only realistic way of keeping the chips secure, and as soon as you disable HT, you lose around 25% performance.

Specifically the Ryzen 3600 vs i5 9600k, there's absolutely zero comparison, the 3600 thrashes the Intel in every area in real world performance, even for gaming. Basically, Intel's i5 range have been left completely redundant. There are one or two gaming titles where the 9600k wins by literally 1 or 2 fps, but overall, loses out disastrously in multithreaded workloads and is a higher cost for no gain.

AMD are just the much better option at the moment and for the foreseeable future. Their upcoming 4000 series desktop CPU's will without doubt leave Intel in the dust in every area of computing.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
An R5 3600 would be the go-to here, as for the workloads especially video encoding it will be faster. There isn't any gotcha that I've heard of.

Most of the reviews I've read and seen are written by hardware magazines that use Adobe CC for their livings - publishing videos on youtube etc - and they've had nothing but positive things to say about the R5's performance (and that of Zen 2 CPUs more generally) in Adobe Premiere

Double0BDBD

Hi @nwimbledon , did you go ahead and buy the AMD? I'm currently doing the same comparison that you did, so keen to hear how you got on, specifically with Adobe Premier Elements. The 3600 does not have integrated graphics. The 9600K does. And Elements does not use discreet graphics cards. Thanks in advance,

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Hi @nwimbledon , did you go ahead and buy the AMD? I'm currently doing the same comparison that you did, so keen to hear how you got on, specifically with Adobe Premier Elements. The 3600 does not have integrated graphics. The 9600K does. And Elements does not use discreet graphics cards. Thanks in advance,

For almost every usage scenario the like for like AMD is going to be a better choice than the Intel.

The 9600k is a 6 core 6 thread chip running at up to 4.6Ghz
The 3600 is a 6 core 12 thread chip running at up to 4.2Ghz

There is a slight difference in max frequency but the 3600 does more per clock (IPC) making it fairly even in real usage. In addition, when multi-threading comes in, the 3600 has double the threads so can be far more productive.

With Adobe Premier Elements I think it puts all threads to good use so the 3600 would fair better overall. You can purchase the minimum required GPU along with it though, if gaming isn't your thing.

I went for AMD Ryzen5 3600 and bought a budget GPU ( NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 1030) as I am not a games player. Very happy with it. Adobe PE works really well for most capabilities. Fixing shaky video is a bit slow but this is pretty intensive processing.