AMD vs Intel

KeiFle

Just read the thread from Spydertracks (boy is he good!!) re the above.
I intended buying everything intel having followed UserBenchmark.
I am now totally confused as to the way forward.
Is there any truth in the theories that AMD stuff runs far noisier than Intel because I want a quiet machine?

Gavras

Master Poster
What components produce the most noise in a PC.

Are they made by Intel or AMD.

that’s where you start for a quiet PC.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Just read the thread from Spydertracks (boy is he good!!) re the above.
I intended buying everything intel having followed UserBenchmark.
I am now totally confused as to the way forward.
Is there any truth in the theories that AMD stuff runs far noisier than Intel because I want a quiet machine?
That's your first mistake!

Second mistake will be trying to buy a discrete Intel GPU.

What 'stuff' do you think runs noisier?
  • A CPU doesn't make any sound - the fans might, but the Intel chips get hotter so I would that would mean more fan noise?
  • The GPU fan noise will depend on the fan config...and that's not normally dependent on the chipset.
You can mitigate 'noise' in many ways:
  • Quiet case
  • Quieter fans
  • AIO cooling
  • Liquid cooling
  • Lower performance parts
  • Airflow case
  • Noise-cancelling headphones
  • Loud music

Little_Miss_Naughty

Bronze Level Poster
I’ve previously had an AMD Athlon Dual Core 2.21Ghz and an AMD Phenom II X4 Quad Core 3.4Ghz. Then had an Intel i7 4800MQ in my Vortex IV laptop (that’s very loud under load). My granddad has always had Intel and currently has the i9 9900X.

My AMD Phenom was noisy to be honest, sounded like a jumbo jet. Looking back though, the case had poor thermals and it was the stock fan. That’s what happens when you get a Pre-build.

On my new machine I switched from i9 10900K to the AMD Ryzen 9 5900X. But... the case has great airflow (Corsair Obsidian 750D) and it’s got the H115i Platinum Corsair Cooler. I’m not expecting it to run like the jumbo jet I once had.

My granddad has the same case with the Intel processor and a Nvidia 2080 Ti. It runs very quiet even whilst playing games.

I think as long as the cooling is sufficient I don’t think you’ll have noise issues.

Gavras

Master Poster
I always think a quiet gaming PCs is a bit of a misnomer.

no doubt for playing those quiet FPS games....

I can understand if it’s, I need a quiet PC as its in dining room or living room and the fans etc make a noise.

even on full fan power etc, if playing Valhalla or similar I can’t hear my PC and that not with overly loud game setting (wife would kill me).

As above, build it as quiet, starting with CPU’s is pointless to a certain extent.

my reason for intel v amd would be more which one goes end of life next year.... oh it begins with an I .

Gavras

Master Poster
The argument would be that an Intel machine would run louder than an AMD machine based on Intel chips running hotter than AMD chips and so requiring more cooling

Sound is also something that is dependent on circumstances etc...do you need a machine that is quiet all the time or merely when you are concentrating on work etc? The system I have when it comes out of the box is pretty noisy...however, I put it on silent profile when doing things not demanding (web browsing, watching Blu-Rays etc) and then just ramp it up when gaming.
This is why I like the 115i for cooling.

setup a custom configs..