AMD Vs Intel

Aza

Rising Star
I did have a flick through the Feb 2022 build guide, and saw Intel has taken a lead on gaming with 12th gen.
Found that after I posted the above though..... Is there any news on the next generation of AMD chips? are we talking a few months or possibly another year yet?

But yeah, From reading bits on the site I see Intel are ahead in terms of performance/cost with their current generation CPU.

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I did have a flick through teh Feb 2022 build guide, and saw Intel has taken a lead on gaming with 12th gen.
Found that after I posted teh above though..... Is there any news on the next generation of AMD chips? are we talking a few months or possibly another year yet?

But yeah, From reading bits on the site I see Intel are ahead in terms of performance/cost with their current generation CPU.
October / November we're expecting Ryzen 7000, they're supposed to be a big leap in performance. It's a whole new architecture on a new node.

Aza

Rising Star
October / November we're expecting Ryzen 7000, they're supposed to be a big leap in performance. It's a whole new architecture on a new node.
Do you know if they will then be compatible with the previous sockets, or is it going to mean new motherboards?
(Sorry to go off topic)

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Do you know if they will then be compatible with the previous sockets, or is it going to mean new motherboards?
(Sorry to go off topic)
New socket, new chipset, new memory standard, which is what I mean by "platform" above. Intel will do another generation on theirs, which is a slight advantage to them right now (though admittedly it'll probably only be one generation, certainly for DDR4 compatibility). There isn't a lot in it, but there's something. So yeah, right now I'd suggest the 12700K. But if someone looked at the platforms and said "you know what, I prefer the 5800X3D", I wouldn't argue with them about it. Both are really very good, with very little to separate them.

Aza

Rising Star
So it would also mean a new motherboard.... which is a shame, I had hoped the Strix 570 would still be good for a couple more generations, rather than just the 5000 series CPU's. (Sorry, back to the original topic!)

Last edited: