An example of upcoming game graphics

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
We're entering a new phase in gaming quality.

We've all marvelled at the wonder that is MSFS 2020, and now Unreal Engine 5 has officially been released, Ray Tracing and DLSS hitting maturity.

Get ready for some intense visuals.

This is a very early example, not so much a game as a very lifelike simulator, but my god, it's impressive! There is a playable demo if you want to experience it first hand.

FQJ6TKVXEAAf6Uz.jpg

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken

We've all marvelled at the wonder that is MSFS 2020, and now Unreal Engine 5 has officially been released, Ray Tracing and DLSS hitting maturity.

This is a very early example, not so much a game as a very lifelike simulator, but my god, it's impressive! There is a playable demo if you want to experience it first hand.

View attachment 33168

I’m going to wait until Demo402, where you can hopefully throw Leonardo Di Caprio overboard and sketch a young Kate Winslet.

It’s getting incredible that these kind of incredible visuals are no longer confined to tech demos. I remember looking at the blocky 3D characters of Final Fantasy 7 and Resident Evil running across pre-rendered backgrounds and thinking that things surely couldn’t get better than that.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Just a further example of Unreal Engine potential from recent offerings on the web, these are all before it was officially released, so these are off the beta version which was still heavily restricted. Skip to 7 to 3:56, it's just insane.

Sonic1506

Bronze Level Poster

View attachment 33168

No way that's a game or modelled or rendered, that has to be real life?!

Alltruism

Bronze Level Poster

View attachment 33168

Definitely worth picking 1st Class, 3rd class don't get the fancy stuff to look at :) It's pretty impressive...ran quite well on my 3060 Ti too (although at 1080p)

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Some just released in game shots of Final Fantasy 16, no one's too sure what graphics engine this is in but the rumours are it's a custom kit.

But my god, tell me this isn't photorealistic... Look at the lighting effects!

View attachment 33759

View attachment 33760

View attachment 33761

View attachment 33762

Source:
Holy god-rays, Batman! Whilst I have little interest in any Final Fantasy other than VII, that is some good looking scenery there.

D

Deleted member 41971

its crazy to think how the graphics were when we were youngsters and what the current generation of young gamers can admire and the improvements that have happened yr on yr, being a teen gamer now must be like nirvana or something.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
its crazy to think how the graphics were when we were youngsters and what the current generation of young gamers can admire and the improvements that have happened yr on yr, being a teen gamer now must be like nirvana or something.
But when I think back on games like Unreal or even back to the BBC Repton I don't recall them as poor graphics. I know they are, but I still remember being blown away by how beautiful some games were.

Even now when I look at some pixel art, I really appreciate the cleverness in amassing all those individual pixels into amazing pictures.

It's obviously an age thing. Took me until I was probably 30 or so before I'd even tolerate a black and white film being on.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
So with computer graphics, water and smoke (particle physics) is the hardest thing to reproduce and takes an enormous amount of GPU power to do well and is accelerated by PhysX

Look at what Unreal 5 can achieve. This is rendered in real time, this is actually someone testing a VR experience in development

But if you remember the Storm Trooper Ray Tracing demo back in 2018 when they were just about to release the RTX2000 series, this is now completely feasible in UE5 in everyday graphics on desktop hardware only 4 1/2 years later.

Last edited: