Another CM HAF-X Monster!

Outerarm

Pictures at last! Details on the order and delivery progress can be found here.

First, where I started from:

op-over-01.jpg

This is an ~9 year old Dell with a P4 3.2GHz, 2 Gb RAM, Radeon X1950 Pro and running Windows XP. Great for its day (and for quite a while after) but not enough grunt to cope with a lot of want I want to do, hence the order! So, not too long after placing the order two large boxes were delivered:

op-over-02.jpg

One contained three monitors and a keyboard, the other the main case and additional disks, cables, manuals, etc. After opening them all I took the packing out of the rig

op-over-03.jpg

And had a good look at the neat build work of the PCS team

op-over-04.jpg

A quick look through the mobo guide showed me where to attach the side fan and then I fixed on the side panel. After opening a couple of the monitors I started realising something was up... PCS had sent the wrong ones! After a lot of back and forth (mostly DPD's fault) we got the monitors sorted and I got the rig set up

op-over-05.jpg

The keyboard on the left is for the old rig, with duel inputs to left hand monitor so I could switch displays. I've now changed this slightly and I am now connecting over remote desktop so no keyboard or monitor switching is needed. When I finally migrate everything on to the new box I'll properly retire the old one.

Some more shots of the set-up:

op-over-06.jpg

op-over-07.jpg

op-over-08.jpg

There is a bit of cable tidy-up to do, but I'll wait until I'm sure I'm happy with where everything goes.

op-over-09.jpg

op-over-10.jpg

And I'm already collecting dust in the fan (which are pleasantly quiet)!

op-over-11.jpg

op-over-12.jpg

Since these were taken I have played around with surround gaming and I have to say it is quite immersive. I just need work to calm down a little then I can get some serious gaming in!

There are a couple of little niggles with the rig - the front microphone socket and USB 3 ports are not working, but I expect that is just a lose cable and when I get some time I'll double-check all is in place. Other than that it has been a great upgrade and does all I need it to do without effort.

Cheers