Anti-Virus / Firewall

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I was only advising if he wanted a 3rd Party Anti Virus , this is the one I'd go for as it provides a ton of features that may come in useful.
Parental control, password protection etc.
If he is going to buy one anyway, don't want him buying something like Norton or other poor ones.
I certainly agree that Norton is best avoided! :)

TBH. Unless you're a particularly adventurous user you really don't need more than the Windows bundled tools. I use Comodo CIS, but only because CIS already implements true containment - any unknown process runs in the sandbox where it can do no harm.

In any case, the biggest risk today is people falling for phishing websites and emails...

VenatoS

I certainly agree that Norton is best avoided! :)

TBH. Unless you're a particularly adventurous user you really don't need more than the Windows bundled tools. I use Comodo CIS, but only because CIS already implements true containment - any unknown process runs in the sandbox where it can do no harm.

In any case, the biggest risk today is people falling for phishing websites and emails...

I completely agree.
I know quite a few people who are just used to having an Anti Virus and basically prefer having one - which is why advised one that I know is reliable even though it may not be needed anymore these days!

Phishing sites and emails aren't difficult to spot for us "tech savvy" people, high danger for the older generations or kids 😳

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Phishing sites and emails aren't difficult to spot for us "tech savvy" people, high danger for the older generations or kids
I think probably the greatest service that 'we who understand' can provide is to educate 'those who don't know' how to spot phishing emails. My wife now asks whenever she's not certain for example....;)

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I think probably the greatest service that 'we who understand' can provide is to educate 'those who don't know' how to spot phishing emails. My wife now asks whenever she's not certain for example....;)
Out of interest and without wanting to ask a personal question, how often do you get asked and have it not be phishing?

It feels like one of those "If you're asking, you may already suspect the truth" kind of questions, at least when I am asked it... which is the advice I usually give in response in my case.

kelstu

Gold Level Poster
i hae been using it for a number of years i wouldnt do without it and have it already downloaded for my new laptop!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
i hae been using it for a number of years i wouldnt do without it and have it already downloaded for my new laptop!
Yeah, it's been a staple of mine for a while now. I almost bought a lifetime license back in the mid 2000's when they were doing them for around £100 but just didn't have the cash spare at the time. God, I wish I had!

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Out of interest and without wanting to ask a personal question, how often do you get asked and have it not be phishing?

Actually more often than you might think. I've encouraged my wife, and would encourage others too, to query anything that doesn't look right. I do get a fair few that are ok, she'll query the security update on her phone for example, so at a guess probably 20% of her asks are ok.

It feels like one of those "If you're asking, you may already suspect the truth" kind of questions, at least when I am asked it... which is the advice I usually give in response in my case.

I think that's hitting the nail on the head but the hard part is getting people to actually look and not just react. Most mere mortals just want technology to work, having to second guess what they're seeing doesn't come naturally. Plus, they just want to get on with what they need to do. Our job I think is to help them actually see what it is they're looking at

Sent using Tapatalk

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Actually more often than you might think. I've encouraged my wife, and would encourage others too, to query anything that doesn't look right. I do get a fair few that are ok, she'll query the security update on her phone for example, so at a guess probably 20% of her asks are ok.

I think that's hitting the nail on the head but the hard part is getting people to actually look and not just react. Most mere mortals just want technology to work, having to second guess what they're seeing doesn't come naturally. Plus, they just want to get on with what they need to do. Our job I think is to help them actually see what it is they're looking at

Sent using Tapatalk
I'm constantly trying to get the users to inspect the address it's sent from as that will usually tell you all you need to know, but it's amazing how often they forget, just doesn't enter into their train of thought.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Yeah, it's been a staple of mine for a while now. I almost bought a lifetime license back in the mid 2000's when they were doing them for around £100 but just didn't have the cash spare at the time. God, I wish I had!
And I'm a big Malwarebytes on demand scanner fan too. However, in all the years I've been using it it's never found anything of note. That not because it's a bad tool, far from it, it's just that (to my knowledge) I've never been infected. Thats partly because if I ever think I may have been dumb or if I've been experimenting a little carelessly, I always restore last night's system image and any potential infection is gone.

Sent using Tapatalk

kelstu

Gold Level Poster
i have downloaded a few things and had Malawarebytes has had issues and problemswith .. i was downloading install files yesterday and downloaded bittorrent.. right away it came as an issue with Malawarebytes..

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
i have downloaded a few things and had Malawarebytes has had issues and problemswith .. i was downloading install files yesterday and downloaded bittorrent.. right away it came as an issue with Malawarebytes..
I think you'll find all anti-malware products flag torrent clients simply because you could use them to share copyrighted material. They're not flagging them because they're dangerous to you but to rights owners.

Sent using Tapatalk

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
I get the occasional false positive...

I freaked out when I got an email from EA telling me I had just redeemed a free month. Thought process was:

1) I've been hacked

2) No, surely not, this is phishing designed to make me click the links

3) the links previewed in Thunderbird look totally genuine

4) Google

Turned out it was actually EA giving me a free month of subscription but it clearly caused enough people to freak out that polygon wrote a story on it:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
And I'm a big Malwarebytes on demand scanner fan too. However, in all the years I've been using it it's never found anything of note. That not because it's a bad tool, far from it, it's just that (to my knowledge) I've never been infected. Thats partly because if I ever think I may have been dumb or if I've been experimenting a little carelessly, I always restore last night's system image and any potential infection is gone.

Sent using Tapatalk
I get the occasional false positive...

I freaked out when I got an email from EA telling me I had just redeemed a free month. Thought process was:

1) I've been hacked

2) No, surely not, this is phishing designed to make me click the links

3) the links previewed in Thunderbird look totally genuine

4) Google

Turned out it was actually EA giving me a free month of subscription but it clearly caused enough people to freak out that polygon wrote a story on it:
Yeah, that one threw me as well until I googled it!

kelstu

Gold Level Poster
i think i would freak out if i recieved that! i am paranoid about being hacked after having my credit card frauded about 12 years ago

there are lots of legal things you can download with torrents