Any BT Infinity Users?

c-hri-s

Bronze Level Poster
I'm currently with O2 on one of their legacy packages, getting the following:

The BT speedchecker, which I understand to be conservative, tells me I could get 40/6.5 from Infinity (no idea where my nearest 'green cabinet' is, but I guess not far away).

I'm tempted, but wondered what people's experience was. I know BT now has a true unlimited service, but you have traffic shaping. My O2 connection is both unlimited and unshaped (and also not for sale any longer). BT would cost me about £15 more per month.

Current experiences would be welcomed. Want to do a bit of everything, some gaming, general browsing, working from home, torrents, etc.

Ta.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
Are you in a fibre optic or more commonly known as a cabled area?

If so, and you wanted faster internet, you could go for virgin's fibre optic broadband, or Bt's infinity, (but I think virgins is faster)

It may cost you more, but you may be able to get from 50mb/s to 100mb/s

c-hri-s

Bronze Level Poster
Nope, unfortunately not.

I'm in a new-build house, they didn't cable the road for Virgin so the only option is BT or traditional ADSL2. I can't see them digging the road up to lay fibre any time soon ...

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I'm pretty sure BT infinity uses fibre optic too, :(

You could give 02 a bell and see if they could increase the speed. Or atleast test to see how fast they can offer you. Generally the speed mainly depends on how close to the exchange you are and of course the quality of the phone line.

c-hri-s

Bronze Level Poster
BT is fibre to the cabinet and then 'traditional' copper to the house, so your speed is all dependant on how far you are away from your local cabinet.

O2 is all about the distance to the exchange, and I know I'm getting about the maximum I can from that service.

My experience tells me it's not just about the speed, there are other factors at play such as ping, contention and traffic shaping - it's why I'm keen to see how current Infinity customers are finding their service. I know when it first came out it was capped and pretty heavily shaped, perhaps now it's more widespread things are better.

If I make the jump I can't go back to my O2 package as they don't sell it any longer, it would be back to an unlimited but shaped one.

I think the speed of infinity is making me drool, but I suspect the service I get (and average download speed) is probably better with O2.

But I want 40MB ;-)