Any Lemon Jelly fans out there?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I bought this boxset when it was released, the '64 - '95 boxset, but this is my first play through (about 4 years later!)

I'd heard this on digital, but there's something to this vinyl edition that's just so much more enticing.... I can't put my fingers on it. I'll have to listen to the digital version again to compare.

It's one of those understated collections though, it's not one that people ever reference when they mention Lemon Jelly. Really love it!

IMG_1706.jpeg

steaky360

I came here to talk about lemon jelly...

1613378255414.jpeg

Not going to lie, I'm a little disappointed you wanted a serious discussion about music.

I own no vinyl, not certain if I'd be able to discern the differences myself. I don't think that I have an ear for that kind of thing...

Stephen M

Author Level
Have never checked their stuff out but will now. With a massive music collection most of the new bands I hear are those I come across like this.

As per the edible Lemon Jelly, not easy, to make as far too many shows sell waxed lemons, it supposedly makes them look good. But in most of the recipe I see that suggest using the zest of a lemon they mention grating a candle in as well.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I came here to talk about lemon jelly...

View attachment 22373

Not going to lie, I'm a little disappointed you wanted a serious discussion about music.

I own no vinyl, not certain if I'd be able to discern the differences myself. I don't think that I have an ear for that kind of thing...
I never considered myself someone who could discern the difference between music mediums. My vinyl collection started simply because I liked the physicality of the records and sleeves, nothing more.

My first surprise was listening to U2’s achtung baby and in Mysterious Ways I could make out a bongo layer at the top of the track which I’d never heard on the cd version. Added a completely different feel to the whole song, was amazing.

Have never checked their stuff out but will now. With a massive music collection most of the new bands I hear are those I come across like this.

As per the edible Lemon Jelly, not easy, to make as far too many shows sell waxed lemons, it supposedly makes them look good. But in most of the recipe I see that suggest using the zest of a lemon they mention grating a candle in as well.
Check out their first album, KY, it’s really special. Hard to put a genre on them, quite nostalgic music with electronic beats, they’re certainly in a class of their own.

Nice Weather For Ducks is probably their most famous track, but the one I find most profound is Page One

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
We have four lemon trees in a grove attached to our apartment here. Any good?

We have an orange tree in the grove too and a grapefruit tree on a plot next door. All our Greek friends have family olive groves of course so we currently have over 20 litres of olive oil in cans stashed around the place.....

Yes I know you're not really talking about lemons, I'm just showing off really. [emoji4]

Last edited:

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
My first surprise was listening to U2’s achtung baby and in Mysterious Ways I could make out a bongo layer at the top of the track which I’d never heard on the cd version. Added a completely different feel to the whole song, was amazing.
I had the exact same experience. I love The Beatles and had been listening to them for well over fifteen years on CD but it was only when I listened to 'You Won't See Me' from the album Rubber Soul on vinyl that I noticed that when the last verse begins, a single note from an organ is played and held for the rest of the duration of the song. Blew my tiny little mind.

Stephen M

Author Level
You lose quite a lot with the compression of CDs, certainly quiet bass notes and, in classical parts of pizzicato passages.

Do not have a decent turntable at moment to do any comparisons now, although can be done with Blu Ray. Have listened to the same recording on CD and Blu Ray and there is quite a difference.

When she was in NSW my sister's neighbour had lemon and orange trees, they had a really good crop until a flock of cockatiels arrived and stripped the lot, leaving debris all over both back yards.

What looked like a complete fruit had a beak-sized hole and the inside sucked out.

smallkube

Silver Level Poster
I do have some Lemon Jelly from back in the day, including the cd of that album, though i haven't listened to them as much as some of my other 90's electronica. I will dig them out for a reassessment. Thanks for highlighting.

I don't know enough about the technicalities of vinyl vs cd but i think people do tend to spend more on their record decks than their cd players, which makes a difference. My mate runs a high end audio shop and his demo room is insane. He's played me cd's though an £10k sound system (including £2k cd player!) and it was as jaw dropping as the price would suggest. He literally sells kettle leads that retail at £200-300 each.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
It's terrifying. That demo room is like sensory crack. The 4k blu-ray and projector setup (add another £8-9k) literally caused me to dive off the sofa for cover when the film clip featured an explosion.
It was my uncle that put me onto audio back when I was a kid.

I’ll never forget visiting him in Canada, he had this front projection ginormous TV, probably 50” or so which was monstrous back then in maybe mid 90’s. He had a full 5.1 surround speaker setup.

He stuck on the opening scene of Die Hard 3, all seemed pretty normal until the front of the building blows up... it literally rattled me from head to toe... and I was hooked from then on!