any problems with debian linux on this build?

jxf

Can anyone foresee problems installing debian 7 on the following build? Any advice much appreciated

Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Six Core Processor i7-4930K (3.4GHz) 12MB Cache

Motherboard
ASUS® P9X79 WS - SOCKET 2011, QUAD DDR3, USB 3.0, SATA 6 GB/s

Memory (RAM)
8GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (2 x 4GB KIT)

Graphics Card
1GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 640 - DVI, HDMI, VGA - 3D Vision Ready

Memory - 1st Hard Disk
500GB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD5003AZEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE (7200rpm)

1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM

Power Supply
CORSAIR 550W VS SERIES™ VS-550 POWER SUPPLY

Processor Cooling
Corsair H60 Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler (£59)

Extra Case Fans
1 x 12CM Black Case Fan (configured to extract from rear/roof) (£5)

Sound Card
ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)

Wireless/Wired Networking
2 x ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORTS

USB Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS

Firewire
1 x IEEE 1394a FIREWIRE PORT ONBOARD

Stephen M

Author Level
That should be OK. I have run older Debians on various computers and the only problem has been Wifi but that has been fixed by easils downloadable firmware.

dv8tion242

What are you going to be using this for? With that serious CPU, cooling and dual nic's and (optical) ripping drives but a relatively chill GPU, I'll guess (media) server?

Best route though is to get skim through distrowatch and find a Livedisk(or flash drive) or a few to just try out.
Debian Stable is stable, but not exactly up to date..
Find a distro which uses the Debian Testing model and you'll probably have better luck with drivers.

It's a big download but try http://solydxk.com/ They're based on Debian Testing. This distro has pretty much everything you could want, including looking from the late 90's. But for a back end system, who cares?
I can't speak for your whole setup, but do have a 2GB version of the Nvidia GT 640 and you will def need new drivers unless you like 1280x1024 resolution and or blank screens. :)

Ubuntu may not be the most popular name these days, but the latest 12.04.4 has some well needed updates as well as kernel improvements. Their driver set-up is probably easier than Debian as well..

Regardless, and to repeat, the first thing is a livedisk which doesn't change (read: break) anything.

Good luck, and may the gods of computing have mercy on your CPU.