Anyone bought any CDs on Amazon recently?

bigben

Master Poster
Hi guys,
I bought a couple of CD's on Amazon last night for presents etc. and when I looked at my emails this morning I had an email saying that the albums I bought were "AutoRip eligible" which means that I can download the MP3 versions as well as having the hard copy. I reckon this is a pretty cool feature as I can have a copy of the albums for myself as well.

Rakk

The Awesome
Hi guys,
I bought a couple of CD's on Amazon last night for presents etc. and when I looked at my emails this morning I had an email saying that the albums I bought were "AutoRip eligible" which means that I can download the MP3 versions as well as having the hard copy. I reckon this is a pretty cool feature as I can have a copy of the albums for myself as well.
They've been doing that for a while now
I can autorip a CD I bought for my Mum about a year or so ago - not sure it's really my taste in music though.

bigben

Master Poster
They've been doing that for a while now

Oh right, I didn't realise that. I usually just buy mp3s now.

I reckon it's pretty cool, I have nearly 600 songs on this cloud player (including one ndubz album which I bought for my chav cousin [shudder])

tom_gr7

Life Serving
yeah its pretty smart,

I've bought a CD for the missus for Christmas, its not here yet but i downloaded the album straight away :)

yeah I use both the cloud web player the new amazon player for windows. Also you can get amazon mp3 player on android (probably that naf apple junk too) works pretty sweet.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Yeh I noticed this too with a couple of albums a few months back, an awesome feature, it also allowed me to download the mp3 file of every song which I can use on my phone/tablet whatever.

I still only buy full albums on disc but its a nice bonus to get the choice

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
You can do this with a lot of films now I think...UltraViolet I think it is. Might be way off the mark, but it seems similar to me :)

tom_gr7

Life Serving
You can do this with a lot of films now I think...UltraViolet I think it is. Might be way off the mark, but it seems similar to me :)

yeah I've just bought Django Unchained which offers this ULtra Violet thing, but i'll just rip it straight off the dvd hahah. Rather than sign up to some site, to download an almost certainly "protected" movie.

Which is one thing i like about Amazon music Dl's they are not set to "protected" as standard.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Yeh that Ultra Violet thing is awful you have to download a program to play the movies and then you have to download another program almost every time you add a DVD, each studio seems to have their own program. And then for me it never actually worked and there was also no way to access the content to copy it onto a device, even though I'm pretty sure it said I can watch it on any device.

I just use DVD Catalyst to rip my DVDs on to my computer now.

Tom DWC

I know it's really old school but I'd still rather buy CDs and rip them, then stash them away somewhere.

That way you can have a master lossless copy stored as FLAC or something and a lossy version for day to day use too. And you can re-rip it and change to a different format whenever you like without having to re-download and be limited to mp3. Also older music is often much cheaper to just buy on CD.

Though when sites start selling FLAC as mainstream and streaming services offer it too I'll probably ditch the plastic for good.

Last edited:

bigben

Master Poster
Yeh that Ultra Violet thing is awful you have to download a program to play the movies and then you have to download another program almost every time you add a DVD, each studio seems to have their own program. And then for me it never actually worked and there was also no way to access the content to copy it onto a device, even though I'm pretty sure it said I can watch it on any device.

I just use DVD Catalyst to rip my DVDs on to my computer now.

Agreed that the Ultra Violet is rubbish.

Out of interest how much HDD space does an average DVD take up? I've got 100s of DVDs around taking up space on my bookshelves.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace

Out of interest how much HDD space does an average DVD take up? I've got 100s of DVDs around taking up space on my bookshelves.
A 90 minute DVD movie can be around 4GB but this can vary depending on quality,there is software available to convert the movie to AVI or other formats which can reduce this to around 700MB.

Cricky

Enthusiast

Depending on the DVD up to 9GB. Though you could rip and shrink to reduce their size.

On the subject of Amazon I bought an album on CD there just to get the mp3s as it was cheaper than buying the mp3s.... :confused:

Wozza63

Biblical Poster

Well the software I use has a tonne of options for compression and you can choose how big you want the file size to be, obviously you will lose quality the smaller it gets, I think mine were around 1-1.5GB each

tom_gr7

Life Serving
my movies folder is 1.38TB lol.

most of my dvd rips are 4-6gig each.

blu ray rips are at least 20gig each.

That is using "makemkv"

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
my movies folder is 1.38TB lol.

most of my dvd rips are 4-6gig each.

blu ray rips are at least 20gig each.

That is using "makemkv"

There is probably no difference in quality between my 1.5GB ones and your 4GB ones. My movies folder is 279GB but doesn't have the majority of my DVDs

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
I noticed this when I bought my missus a CD for Christmas.

I don't really fancy the Deluxe Edition of Selena Gomez's new album though...