Anyone collect anything?

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Just wondering if anyone collects anything as a hobby, mainly started by this news item about a stamp that went for £5 million. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-27890106

Over the past couple of years I have found myself collecting various things but have always drifted away from them and sold my collection for the next thing.

My last thing was model cars, more specifically F1 cars. Then I realised it was a fairly impossible task as they were forever bringing out 'special' editions. While 10-20 cars doesn't take up much space, I soon realised I didn't have room for the 100's I would ultimately end up with, and little point lobbing them in the loft.

Now I have moved on to coins, only doing 'modern' collectables though as the older stuff seems like a minefield - and I like my coins shiny! Only downside is it can get REAL expensive REAL quick!

So anyone else collect anything?

Bsrz

Rising Star
When I was younger I use to collect yu-gi-oh cards.

had so many rare ones.

made a fair bit of money selling my collection to school mates.

now I collect nothing but games :D

mishra

Rising Star
Since 2005 I'm quite addicted to Magic the Gathering so I'm collecting these cards. Got like >500 rares and others will go in thousands (but others are not worth anything). Also for past few years I collect watches. That's it really, don't think I'm a collector type person tho.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
When I was younger I use to collect yu-gi-oh cards.

had so many rare ones.

made a fair bit of money selling my collection to school mates.

now I collect nothing but games :D

I still have mine somewhere, I never got round to selling them. And I have Pokemon cards somewhere too.

Does collecting tech count? I just keep buying random devices and stuff XD. I now have 3 tablets and 2 phones (soon to be 3)

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
If you asked my gf what I collect, I think her answer would be "stuff". (or more accurately "useless stuff")

I did get my Scout collectors/collection badge for a key ring collection (still got em somewhere).

Only thing I have of any significant number now is games on Steam :D

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
I somewhat suspected people would say "games". No they don't count for this discussion, nor does tech, unless it fills a room to itself then im all ears.

I remember when I was just about 12 or something my friend showing me his Pokemon cards, then I watched his face contort as I bent them and played with them as I would with a normal pack of cards. Then we stopped playing that game, as apparently they were not meant to be treated like that.

Erenion

I quite randomly collect beer glasses, it started out as just pinching them from pubs when I was drunk but now I have a few nice ones (love the Peroni glass) and try not to pinch them any-more :p

Androcles

Rising Star
I used to collect magic the gathering cards, I have somewhere in the region of 7000 cards, now gathering dust in a box in the cupboard, I think i'll maybe one day sell them in bulk on ebay, but I'm too lazy.

rzolv

Bronze Level Poster
Manga, movies and music. I have a couple hundred DVD (somewhere over 200 I think). About the same again in CDs. I used to have a lot of vinyl when I had turntables, but I sold all that, though I'm starting to collect vinyl again, but only if I can't get what I want on CD. I've just started collecting manga / comics / graphic novels. At the moment I have the Akira manga series and Transmetropolitan series. The next series I want to get is Ghost In The Shell as I love the movie and Eden: It's an endless world.

mishra

Rising Star
Forgot about that... I also collect Anime :) Maybe I am a collector type after all. Ghost In the Shell is amazing. If you not had a chance do watch Akira, Ninja Scroll or Grave of the Fireflies.. please do... and well I could talk about anime for hours, so I will shut up!

Last edited:

Boozad

Prolific Poster
I used to collect Batman comics, in fact four of them paid for my current rig. I'll post some scans of some of my favourites soon.

bigben

Master Poster
I've got quite an extensive library of books - I'm up to 21 now. I've even read some of them.
I do have a couple of hundred DVDs now, not that I ever watch any of them.

Stephen M

Author Level
I used to collect beer mats back in the 70s and 80s as there was some good artwork and often a good series of mats but I lost interest a while back. My main love is music and I probably have about 500 CDs and even more vinyl.

Alan16ac

Gold Level Poster
When I was younger I collected Pokemon cards. I was addicted, I just wish I knew where they were now, as they'd be worth hundreds according to ebay listings They must be in the attic.
I also collect and have as long as I can remember, model cars. I have hundreds, and not enough space to display them.