Anyone know how to remove the fan from the 'Triple Copper Heatpipe' cooler?

Rakk

The Awesome
Don't suppose anyone knows how to remove the fan from a 'Super Quiet 22dBA Triple Copper Heatpipe Intel CPU Cooler' - without removing the whole cooler from the PC?
I ask cos I'm trying to remove my RAM sticks (for testing purposes and possible replacement), however the cooler fan rather unfortunately completely stops me from removing one of the sticks of RAM :(

Looks like this:
eOeOWKE010zAPB8Zlpn0No5YahEsHhDV40zzXmJVj5Y=s214-p-no

And yes I did see if I could persuade the RAM stick out past the fan, but without bending it (which is not an option!), it was not going to work.

So yeah, don't suppose anyone has got any useful help please?

grimsbymatt

Enthusiast
Can you post a bigger pic? Mine is quite easy to remove from my Scythe Mugen 3 - the fan is held on by two long metal clips. I can't make out how yours is attached on that picture.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Tough to see on that picture but im sure you just need to swing these metal clips out of the way.

<- Clickity

You just basically hinge them back, once you do the first one the fan will pretty much just fall out anyway. Putting it back in just be sure to get one side positioned then you will need to use a bit more pressure to get the 2nd side swung round.

grimsbymatt

Enthusiast
If they are like mantadog's pic (which is just like mine), then you can also pull the bit at the top upwards to get the pin out of the hole in the heatsink, then the bottom pin is easily got out by lowering the whole clip.

Rakk

The Awesome
Thanks guys, will have a go after breakfast :)
Yes it is the same as the pic mantadog posted and yes there are the clips, I did try and move them last night, just having probs getting them to release.
I didn't really want to completely pull out the clip if possible cos I don't know how I'd get it back in given that'd mean trying to clip it back into somewhere I couldn't see and may involve my bending my hands in ways they can't bend :)

And yes sorry about the picture quality, it was the best I could on a phone in a dark corner

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
It depends on the exact design but the ones I have seen before they are effectively hinged, much like everything else inside your PC you do have to be reasonably forceful to get it to cooperate.

Rakk

The Awesome
Well, I got the fan off :) - there was a lotta dust underneath it, so blew away say dust - and then coughed due to the face full of dust :)

Not sure I've properly reattached said fan, it was a nightmare trying to re-clip in the lower clip on the motherboard side and now I'm not convinced the upper clip on closest to me is in properly - but can revisit that, its running fine in teh interim.

So yes, thanks guys :)