Apple forced to open text compatibility to other platforms

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Apple has been forced to integrate a more widely adopted messaging protocol so that messages to android user for example will have standard support for decent resolution images rather than compressing the hell out of them, plus read receipts and all the things that are standard on other platforms.

The protocol they’ve chosen to adopt, RCS, current doesn’t have encryption, but the word is that apple are working with the standard to introduce that.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
E2E is implemented in the Google version of RCS (via a Google add-in), but Apple obviously doesn't want to use the Google add-in and is pushing for the open-standards to include an open e2e system instead...and can then probably push back at Google to moan that they're using proprietary RCS instead of an open-RCS.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
E2E is implemented in the Google version of RCS (via a Google add-in), but Apple obviously doesn't want to use the Google add-in and is pushing for the open-standards to include an open e2e system instead...and can then probably push back at Google to moan that they're using proprietary RCS instead of an open-RCS.
It should be one standard universally quite frankly, any communications protocol should be available to anyone, no matter what device they have. Hopefully this impacts all the big boys into getting more universal adoption across the board down the line.

I realise that's a utopian expectation, but communication is a fundamental necessity in life and should be made as easy as possible.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Well, the standard is SMS and MMS...but the 'big boys' want to offer something more...so offer their own 'enhanced' messaging service.

Android owners seem to be unhappy that they don't get the different coloured bubbles that Apple offers (and probably a couple of things like memojis and reactions)...but are they really necessary for basic messages?

There are other options that are cross-platform, such as Telegram & WhatsApp...but the same argument could be said if I only wanted to use Telegram but i can't receive my WhatsApp messages on it.