Apple Vision Pro

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Credit to Linus, he's probably used every headset made to date for extended periods.

When it comes to VR he definitely has a lot of cache. The other guy who has similar experience is Snazzy Labs. Both of them have addressed stuff that other people haven't thought to look into.

These are both really good summaries of the pro's and con's of the Vision Pro.

TLDR, it is fantastic in a lot of ways, and Apple have addressed flaws that other manufacturers just haven't been able to. At the price point though, you kind of expect that! But it's really only an early adopter headset currently, software wise there just isn't enough to warrant it for any home user really.

HomerJ

Prolific Poster
Credit to Linus, he's probably used every headset made to date for extended periods.

When it comes to VR he definitely has a lot of cache. The other guy who has similar experience is Snazzy Labs. Both of them have addressed stuff that other people haven't thought to look into.

These are both really good summaries of the pro's and con's of the Vision Pro.

TLDR, it is fantastic in a lot of ways, and Apple have addressed flaws that other manufacturers just haven't been able to. At the price point though, you kind of expect that! But it's really only an early adopter headset currently, software wise there just isn't enough to warrant it for any home user really.

homers just seen the price

Cute Softball Homer Fainting The Simpsons GIF | GIFDB.com

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
homers just seen the price

Cute Softball Homer Fainting The Simpsons GIF | GIFDB.com
As a first gen device, I can understand it, and given how many basic usability features they've successfully improved, I don't think that money is unwarranted (even for apple).

BUT, if they don't lower the price with successive iterations, they'd be absolutely crazy and price out such a ginormous section of their customer base. And as always $3500 is the base price for 256Gb storage, most users will need more than that, especially as this headset is designed to work fully untethered away from a PC, and the prices that Apple charges for that is quite frankly robbery.

Also, this headset is specifically named the "Pro" version, which may suggest they'd release a non-pro cheaper version. Perhaps as software develops, their intent is to focus the Pro model on content creators and businesses, and the normal version will be perhaps half the price aimed at mainstay users.

Despite the exorbitant cost, they sold out of their initial allotment within a couple of hours of pre orders opening, which is just mental, they had to extend production based on demand which I don't think anyone saw coming. Just goes to show how mental apple fanboys are!

Last edited:

HomerJ

Prolific Poster
Despite the exorbitant cost, they sold out of their initial allotment within a matter of a couple of days, which is just mental, they had to extend production based on demand which I don't think anyone saw coming. Just goes to show how mental apple fanboys are!

yeah thats no surprise, when you see people queuing outside the stores years ago for an iphone for days its understandable this would be popular, be interesting to see how things go with VR and also the competitors

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
yeah thats no surprise, when you see people queuing outside the stores years ago for an iphone for days its understandable this would be popular, be interesting to see how things go with VR and also the competitors
THAT'S what I'm really eager for.

Put your feelings about Apple to the side, they do drive competitors to do better, and the big players like Valve, Vive and Meta will have to respond. Meta (in my humble opinion) have rooted themselves too deep into their "Metaverse" ideology, that I don't think Zuckerberg will accept that they need to retreat from that and follow the rest. I'm usually wrong on these things, and absolutely detest Meta as a company, they're utterly evil, but the general user base doesn't seem to care and keeps throwing them money.

Valve are the ones I'm eagerly awaiting for, if you look at how they've iterated the Steam Deck, they really listened to customer feedback, and released what they considered a refreshed model, but everyone else considered a V2 given just how much they improved it, plus they kept it at the same price despite even just the screen being SUBSTANTIALLY more expensive to produce. Plus the OLED model was still fully compatible with the first gens 3rd party accessories. They really consider their users. The CEO is a legitimate gamer nerd, and always has been, he personally went around and hand delivered a few hundred of the first version to pre order customers. He is so much the same as one of his customers, the whole team really know who they're targeting.

I love Valve, I think they'll really learn from the Vision and implement some really interesting stuff.
does @SpyderTracks plan on getting one or is the money going on vinyl instead?
Not a chance, not even in my ballpark.

There's only a couple of games that I'd consider worthwhile in VR which is Half-life Alyx, Res Evil 4 and Elite Dangerous. The rest are kind of taking gaming back decades, more "mobile game" type things.

The only other use I'd really consider it would be as a virtual display setup for work / productivity and movies, but certainly not at anywhere near this cost.

I think VR still has a way to go before the software catches up.

Last edited:

HomerJ

Prolific Poster
THAT'S what I'm really eager for.

Put your feelings about Apple to the side, they do drive competitors to do better, and the big players like Valve, Vive and Meta will have to respond.

Valve are the ones I'm eagerly awaiting for, if you look at how they've iterated the Steam Deck, they really listened to customer feedback, and released what they considered a refreshed model, but everyone else considered a V2 given just how much they improved it, plus they kept it at the same price despite even just the screen being SUBSTANTIALLY more expensive to produce.

I love Valve, I think they'll really learn from the Vision and implement some really interesting stuff.

Not a chance, not even in my ballpark.

There's only a couple of games that I'd consider worthwhile in VR which is Half-life Alyx, Res Evil 4 and Elite Dangerous. The rest are kind of taking gaming back decades, more "mobile game" type things.

The only other use I'd really consider it would be as a virtual display setup for work / productivity, but certainly not at anywhere near this cost.

I think VR still has a way to go before the software catches up.

spydertracks rocks up in wales with a vision pro and people be like "dude its"

80's Gif imagines/preferences - Marty Mcfly>Back To The Future (Request) -  Wattpad

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
It's not the headset I'm worried about, it's the 360º treadmill I need to fit into the living room for the fully-immersive gaming/hiking experience.