Arctic MX-3 on overclocked systems

dontsimon

Don't you think £9 for what is essentilly a grain of rice sized blob of paste is a bit much?

I'd think not charging at all would be a nice gesture. It's only like £6 for a whole tube. As it is, £9 is a bit of a p-take.

Sleinous

Author Level
Considering the whole overclock doesnt cost you a penny more than the standard stock build, no, as you dont run the risk of messing the OC up and voiding warranty.

Reactions: PCS

Maestro

Sleinous is correct. We could add this small extra margin onto any of the prodcuts in the specification, but these are also components used in non overclock builds. The extra cost and risk involved in supplying overclock systems is much greater. Testing takes far longer, to ensure the overclock is stable. The chance of a failure during your warranty period which does not cost anymore is higher, so our support costs are higher. So we introduce this small margin on this line as it is unique to the overclock specs. So just in the same way that we charge £9 for setting up raid, we charge £9 for setting up your overclock.
Please remember it is the final price of your pc that matters and the parts that are used. If its cheaper than elsewhere, or uses better components, or you are confident in superior after sales service, then it doesnt matter if you paid £9 or £90 for this individual part, its the whole package that counts.

Last edited:
Reactions: PCS

dontsimon

Thanks for the replies. Makes sense.

Although your reasoning doesn't quite add up when you consider you have the option of having the standard thermal paste for no extra fee. If it's the overclock itself which requires the extra cost the £9 should be included regardless of the thermal paste used.

If the cost is slightly increased because of overclocking it might be better to include that as a seperate cost. I find £9 a very fair charge for the extra testing etc needed for the overclock. Only charging for the Arctic MX-3 still sounds like a rip off because of the cost of a full tube compared to the £9 charge, coupled with the fact there is no extra charge for the standard paste.

I know it's only £9, but I only make the point cos I care :)

Last edited:

Gorman

Author Level

Although your reasoning doesn't quite add up when you consider you have the option of having the standard thermal paste for no extra fee. If it's the overclock itself which requires the extra cost the £9 should be included regardless of the thermal paste used.

If the cost is slightly increased because of overclocking it might be better to include that as a seperate cost. I find £9 a very fair charge for the extra testing etc needed for the overclock. Only charging for the Arctic MX-3 still sounds like a rip off because of the cost of a full tube compared to the £9 charge, coupled with the fact there is no extra charge for the standard paste.

Valid point is valid.

Sleinous

Author Level

Normal paste is included in processor cooling solution. Even if you get stock intel or AMD cooling you will get stock paste. Titan Fenrir cooling you get some special 'grease' paste. Cant remember what its called exactly, but you get the idea, it is included in the CPU cooler. Standard will just mean that whatever comes with your cooler choice will be applied.