Ardour Audio Workstaion

pr1s0ner

Quick bit of background :-
Ive been using Ardour for some time running on Ubuntu Studio and have just upgraded my desktop to something that will keep up with some games (for a while at least) which to my mind pretty much means running windows. Ive tried wine, crossover, vmware, qemu etc.. but just running windows is by far the easiest, so anyway I have a possibly unexplainable aversion to dual booting so am looking for a decent, close as possible alternative to Ardour.
So far Reaper is top of the list, but any suggestions (with a bit of reasoning) welcome :)

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Quick bit of background :-
Ive been using Ardour for some time running on Ubuntu Studio and have just upgraded my desktop to something that will keep up with some games (for a while at least) which to my mind pretty much means running windows. Ive tried wine, crossover, vmware, qemu etc.. but just running windows is by far the easiest, so anyway I have a possibly unexplainable aversion to dual booting so am looking for a decent, close as possible alternative to Ardour.
So far Reaper is top of the list, but any suggestions (with a bit of reasoning) welcome :)

Hmm not sure I know the answer to this.

I do however have some advice just incase you do decide to give in and dual boot.

Ubuntu 11.04 has problems with certain of the newer bioses. Ubuntu itself gets installed correctly, however the grub loader doesnt like it. Bad times.

pr1s0ner

Thanks, that could be a bit of a pain if I do end up dual booting Ubuntu Studio. Had a look at Reaper last night though, and so far I'm fairly impressed. I will try to some proper work done with later and see how it goes

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
Once I actually get the work pc running ill let you know exactly which bios it is (Its trying to dual boot with windows 7 using a seperate windows loader partition).

Im sure the problemn will be fixed soon enough, but for the moment its pretty annoying, im gonna install ubuntu on its own (i dont use windows anyway) and ill let you kow if that works on its own, see if its just a dual boot problem

barrydrake

Silver Level Poster
I get around the boot problems with three hard drives installed. Each of them has a different OS installed.

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
I get around the boot problems with three hard drives installed. Each of them has a different OS installed.

How does that get around the boot problems? surely you either have to switch in the bios or you have a bootloader, and if you have a bootloader it then presents the same problem, no matter where your OS is actually physically stored.

barrydrake

Silver Level Poster
How does that get around the boot problems? surely you either have to switch in the bios or you have a bootloader, and if you have a bootloader it then presents the same problem, no matter where your OS is actually physically stored.

No. If the drive Ubuntu is installed to is not the Windows drive and carried the bootloader, AFAIK Windows only messes with the boot sector on it's own drive. Windows doesn't know that you actually boot from another drive with a dual boot arrangement. Install Windows first, and it will know that the other drive is unformatted storage and not mount it at all. Then on the other drive (the one that Windows doesn't understand), do update-grub and it will find the Windows drive and add it as a bootable item. Windows will not then touch the boot sector on thye Ubuntu drive. It just ain't that smart! Tell me if I'm wrong.

pr1s0ner

Well I hope it does work, I've had a good look at a few alternatives to Ardour. Reaper seems like a very good system, but I'm not sure that its really the alternative that I was looking for, so gonna grab another drive and get dual booting.
I still have some odd reluctance too though, and not really sure why :-?

Frenchy

Prolific Poster
No. If the drive Ubuntu is installed to is not the Windows drive and carried the bootloader, AFAIK Windows only messes with the boot sector on it's own drive. Windows doesn't know that you actually boot from another drive with a dual boot arrangement. Install Windows first, and it will know that the other drive is unformatted storage and not mount it at all. Then on the other drive (the one that Windows doesn't understand), do update-grub and it will find the Windows drive and add it as a bootable item. Windows will not then touch the boot sector on thye Ubuntu drive. It just ain't that smart! Tell me if I'm wrong.

Hmm yeah, I guess if you have the ubuntu grub in the primary boot partition and have the windows one in secondary then it wont see the windows one. Hadnt thought of that. Unfortunately I want to run them both off the SSD lol, and partitions wont help in this case, it would have to be two physically different drives to avoid the problem.

Im thinking maybe install using WUBI and see if that works :), I will give it a go later when I unpack my pc :)