Are you getting vaccinated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Statistics are much more than a mean value. I am not more likely to be killed by a shark than pretty much anything else, as I don’t swim in the sea (or in an aquarium). There is always a probability distribution. That is why in the UK younger adults are not being given the AZ vaccine, as for them the risk of thrombosis is high compared to the risk of death from COVID-19 when infection rates are low.
I can't speak for the UK but here in Greece the mean age of hospitalised COVID patients is 36.

Bigfoot

Grand Master
I can't speak for the UK but here in Greece the mean age of hospitalised COVID patients is 36.
I think the hospitalisation age in the UK is reducing as most older people have been vaccinated now. A mean age of 36 in hospital doesn’t mean that there is anyone of that age in hospital. It could be all babies and octogenarians

RichH

Gold Level Poster
Its dropped over here significantly in the last couple of weeks

As we work our way through the vaccination program from oldest to youngest that was inevitable

Younger people generally have a better chance of surviving - although "long covid" still needs to be considered.

I think the big difference with this pandemic as opposed to other challenges the planet has dealt with in the past is the role that the Media and Social Media have played - but that's probably a whole different discussion :)

loso64

Here in denmark, they vaccinated the old and essential health workers first. Now they are going in a way that oldest and youngest first, and middle aged later.
The reasoning is that oldest are at higher risks, the younger are more likely to spread it.
So for example, my gf gonna get her vaccine sooner than i will, even tho she is younger :D

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I just cannot understand anyone who refuses to have the vaccination on grounds other than health. If I were to catch covid, it would be a death sentence. Due to chemo etc, I have a very poor immune system yet there are people around who would rather party and spread covid than realise how many people they are killing. Our new lifestyle for many years to come will be one of semi self isolation, no hoildays and extreme measures with regards to washing each time we go out shopping.
I‘ve had both of mine, and really only had them to get the country/business going again.

I wasn’t worried about getting COVID myself as I’ve always been free from cold/flu for my whole life. But I have loved ones & friends who would be in high risk of dying if they got it, due to age and illness, so happily take this and any other vaccination I’m offered.

in one case, a similarly-aged fried, fit as a fiddle and built like a bull, got ill a couple of years ago and was hospitalised for a few weeks whilst a piece of lung was removed and an artery/vein was transplanted from his leg to his neck to replaced a compromised (by the same growth) carotid artery in his neck.

He was on a heavy regime of drugs for 3 months further, and then moved onto a lighter regime for the foreseeable future. Over the following year he got multiple infections, and had multiple returns to hospital, and was almost getting back to ‘normal’ when COVID hit and he was put in the medically critical shielding group.

As a small business owner who’d been living off savings for the last 14 months, he got no help from the government as his profits in the calculating period were very low, so had start selling some of his equipment and collections he’s built over 30 years to live off.

His wife works as a special needs teacher, but this was all closed down as the kids she tended to work with had their own medical issues, so she was furloughed.

Finally she was allowed to return to teaching, but the shielding rules meant he had to move into the guest apartment above a workshop and only come into the main hous3 when his wife/daughter was not in there.

The final irony is he was due to get his 2nd jab in April, but he was ill and it was cancelled. This has happened twice since, and he’s now got a relatively mild COVID infection…but he’s not been hospitalised yet…possibly due to the first jab kick-starting his immune response.

The only people he‘s been in contact with are his wife (who’s had both jabs) or his daughter (who’s not had any) - but of course either of these could have brought it in to the house.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I think the hospitalisation age in the UK is reducing as most older people have been vaccinated now. A mean age of 36 in hospital doesn’t mean that there is anyone of that age in hospital. It could be all babies and octogenarians
Again in Greece, all the people over 60 with COVID in any Greek hospital are unvaccinated. There are no vaccinated over 60's in hospital here at all (with COVID). The mean age for infections here has been steadily decreasing (as you would expect) simply because the vaccination program started with the eldest and worked downwards. I made the comment about the mean age of hospitalised patients being 36 to counter an earlier suggestion that infection rates are low amongst younger people.

sck451

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I've had my first Pfizer jab just over a week ago and am booked for my second in August (though I think it will be moved forwards). I found it genuinely quite a lovely, emotional experience -- lots of cheery people (mostly volunteers) and a general atmosphere of something good and really important happening. This may reveal me to be wet as anything, but I genuinely had a tear in my eye walking home.

My side-effect was limited to 12 hours of a sore arm. As I work in education with a thousand snotty, germ-coddling teenagers, even though at 32 and in good health I'm at tremendously low risk, I'm very relieved to have had it!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Again in Greece, all the people over 60 with COVID in any Greek hospital are unvaccinated. There are no vaccinated over 60's in hospital here at all (with COVID). The mean age for infections here has been steadily decreasing (as you would expect) simply because the vaccination program started with the eldest and worked downwards. I made the comment about the mean age of hospitalised patients being 36 to counter an earlier suggestion that infection rates are low amongst younger people.
It is also the case that only the early variants of the virus didn't impact kids so much, the new strains, particularly the Delta variant are known to cause long covid symptoms which are significantly impacting children under 18:

Nedd Ludd

Ignorance has so much to do with the spreading of this disease. We all know that wearing a mask does not stop you catching covid, it helps prevent those who have it from spreading it by coughing or sneezing. In Hull at one of the ASDA branches, hardly any young staff wear masks and are stacking shelves, coughing and talking to each other. They simply do not care. When questioned as to why they are not wearing masks they invariably say "we do not have to on medical grounds". So many youngsters on medical grounds? I don't think so. If shoppers not wearing masks are questioned you just get a mouthful of abuse. Pure and simple ignorance. We no longer shop there due to the risks. (Is it a coincidence that Hull has one of the highest covid infection rates?)

And by ignorance, I do not mean ill educated, I mean ignorant people who simply do not care if they infect others.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
It is also the case that only the early variants of the virus didn't impact kids so much, the new strains, particularly the Delta variant are known to cause long covid symptoms which are significantly impacting children under 18:
I think that in the early days older people were dying more than younger people simply because the older people had more underlying conditions. I don't have the figures but I think around 90% of people of any age who were dying from COVID last year had an underlying condition. That sort of why most countries starting vaccination their older people first. :)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine

Just to add, the new Delta variant is what’s the cause behind the uk government looking to postpone full reopening for 2 weeks because of the effects it’s having on the north east currently since restrictions were lifted a couple of weeks ago.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Ignorance has so much to do with the spreading of this disease. We all know that wearing a mask does not stop you catching covid, it helps prevent those who have it from spreading it by coughing or sneezing. In Hull at one of the ASDA branches, hardly any young staff wear masks and are stacking shelves, coughing and talking to each other. They simply do not care. When questioned as to why they are not wearing masks they invariably say "we do not have to on medical grounds". So many youngsters on medical grounds? I don't think so. If shoppers not wearing masks are questioned you just get a mouthful of abuse. Pure and simple ignorance. We no longer shop there due to the risks. (Is it a coincidence that Hull has one of the highest covid infection rates?)

And by ignorance, I do not mean ill educated, I mean ignorant people who simply do not care if they infect others.
Couldn't agree more.

Now we're getting tourists here (Crete) we regularly see tourists not wearing masks. I challenge them and I've lost count of the number who have replied that "in my country we don't need to wear them". They don't seem to realise that they're not in their country any more but in Greece. I remind them that they need to show a little respect for the laws of the country they're in. Honest to God, some tourists leave their brains at home when they go on holiday......

Rakk

The Awesome
Apparently my boss is refusing to have the vaccinations because he doesn't like needles ........

Well I think that's a perfectly good reason to never see him face-to-face :) Well i am in the more vulnerable group (not critically vulnerable, but enough to be in group 6 in the UK) so I feel my argument not to meet him face-to-face is justified :)

Bigfoot

Grand Master
Couldn't agree more.

Now we're getting tourists here (Crete) we regularly see tourists not wearing masks. I challenge them and I've lost count of the number who have replied that "in my country we don't need to wear them". They don't seem to realise that they're not in their country any more but in Greece. I remind them that they need to show a little respect for the laws of the country they're in. Honest to God, some tourists leave their brains at home when they go on holiday......
That’s why I always try to avoid areas popular with British tourists when I go on holiday.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Apparently my boss is refusing to have the vaccinations because he doesn't like needles ........

Well I think that's a perfectly good reason to never see him face-to-face :) Well i am in the more vulnerable group (not critically vulnerable, but enough to be in group 6 in the UK) so I feel my argument not to meet him face-to-face is justified :)
You’re living the dream! I’d love to not have to see my boss every day (sorry, Barbara).

Bigfoot

Grand Master
You’re living the dream! I’d love to not have to see my boss every day (sorry, Barbara).
My boss is based in Houston, Texas, so I don’t see him that often. Actually, since I joined the company 15 months ago, I haven’t met him face to face. I did know him from a previous company and meet up during the interview process.

Status
Not open for further replies.